Flying Badge Question

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Harry_Hesh, Nov 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ever since wearing green after an illustrious but fairly short lived career as a navigator in the RAF, I have worn my N on my army service dress and mess kit. There's never been any issue but I was wondering as to the appropriateness regarding army dress regs.

Any advice gratefully received.

2. As far as I know, you are entitled to wear it. You earned it (snigger...navigator...snigger). :D

We have had a couple of RN and crab types transfer in the past and they wear the flying badge appropriate to the service they earned it in.

(Although, if I was only talking baggage, I'd rather wear a 'bob-a-job week' badge. :roll: )
  3. Why would you want to advertise the fact that you weren't quite good enough to be a pilot??? :wink:
  4. H[/quote](Although, if I was only talking baggage, I'd rather wear a 'bob-a-job week' badge. :roll: )[/quote]

I have no concept of bob-a-job. My parents wouldn't let me into the cubs as they didn't believe in para-military youth organisations. On that basis, crabair seemed like the perfect solution. :lol:
  5. I too was a directional consultant for many years and wore the badge on my SD when I became a STAB. I only ever had one passing comment, at which I smiled and nodded.

If you are an ARAB, I think you should check the proper publication - not ask the knowalls on Arrse - Material Regs is it? Mind you, if you have got away with it so far, why worry?
  6. How did you get a commission? Surely the proven ability to read a map was a disadvantage :D
  7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Who said he could read a map, he was a navigator, they just do ever decreasing circles till they find the big concrete car park!
  8. The rules used to be in JSP336 Vol 12 Part 3 Pam 15. This has now, apparently, been replaced by JSP886 Vol 6, Part 5. But on a cursory glance (which is all you are going to get, sorry), I can't see the relevant article.

Strictly, I believe, the old rules only allowed for Army issue badges (and the All Arms Commando badge.) But as the man said ...