Flying and Fatigue Management

Discussion in 'Royal Air Force' started by Toastie, Jan 13, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Weird enquiry but stick with it if you can!

Can anybody help on this? Can you give me an idea of the Duty Time or Flight Time Limitations (or whatever it is called in the military) placed on military pilots? I'm particularly interested if you can provide details of limits on ops.

To try and put your mind at rest: I am not a journo having a sniff round but I do have an agenda. I'm an ex (failed APC) AAC officer who went on to a civy career now flying for a UK charter operation. I'm a rep for my company pilots with the British Airline Pilots Association (BALPA) and there is a bit of poo flying about on the subject of Duty Hours. I'm interested as to how limits being suggested for civy pilots stack up against the military equivalent.

For those of you who don't know (and given that at least some of those serving will be looking to fly civy on leaving), the current UK limits as contained in CAP371 are likely to be replaced by a European set formulated by EASA (EU equivalent of and replacing UK CAA).

They are horrendous and WILL lead to knackered pilots flying you and yours around the place. Hopefully you get the civy job and then it will be your health on the line as well (just when you thought you were safe!)

Yes BALPA is a union of sorts and yes I know the military have little truck with the unions but this is not about shutting the lot for a few extra quid - this is about safety.

All info will be in the strictest confidence and I will deidentify before passing on to our campaign coordinators. Post or PM if you wish for my personal email address.

Many thanks.
  2. Good plan. I'll give that a go too. Thanks for that.