Flybe

Airline economics don't exactly work like that. Sometimes it's cheaper for a whole 737 to fly with just one pax than not at all.
Quite. I've flown Flybe's STN-IOM service a few times when there was less than a handful on board.

Virgin used to have domestic slots at LHR (the old BMI slots), but Branson binned his Little Red service when he found out I was using it. I can't see what they hope to re-achieve, as the majority of Little Red users were point-to-point flyers and not the hoped for connectors... or something like that.

Last edited:
Since they are ceasing jet operations I wonder how they're going to operate the (publicly subsidised) brand new Heathrow to Newquay route. Cannot imagine LHR will be too impressed with Crash 8's lumbering around.

Since they are ceasing jet operations I wonder how they're going to operate the (publicly subsidised) brand new Heathrow to Newquay route. Cannot imagine LHR will be too impressed with Crash 8's lumbering around.
We shall have to see if the value to VA of the slots exceeds the value of Cornish business.

offog

LE
I actually considered doing that if the bag lady got arsey. ;)
I did that with crab air on the way to BATUS. Binos round neck, compass in pocket, iron in dos bag, notebooks and aids in pocket. Went back to jobs worth and not a problem.

Wretched Sky News peddling half truths and then endorsed by the even more wretched BBC.

There have been talks over the weekend and both the CAA and Government are involved in what appears to be a positive approach to keeping them going. The crisis had apparently passed until this irresponsible media report dug it up.

The critical issue here is that such sensationalist reporting, presumably with a side order of a dig at both the Government and Brexit in an attempt to portray a damaged economy will damage customer confidence and affect bookings.

Precisely the last thing Flybe needs.

Airline economics don't exactly work like that. Sometimes it's cheaper for a whole 737 to fly with just one pax than not at all.
Have they worked out how much it would cost just to fly the part of the 737 with the one pax in?

May be cheaper than the whole aeroplane although a detailed cost analysis would be needed.

#aviationeconomicsareus

Blogg

LE
I’d wager we (the taxpayers) are about to become part owners of a regional airline. My reasoning:

3 airlines to the wall in as many years doesn’t look good for a Tory Government, especially a new one, riding high and keen to look good to both business and areas beyond the M25.
It's owned by Connect Airways which is itself owned 30% by Virgin Travel Group, 30% Stobart Aviation and 40% by DLP Holdings, which is a Luxembourg Company owned by Cyrus Capital Partners.

None of whom are exactly skint.

And now fishing for public funds to save the shit airline they paid too much for.

Jog on.

Wretched Sky News peddling half truths and then endorsed by the even more wretched BBC.

There have been talks over the weekend and both the CAA and Government are involved in what appears to be a positive approach to keeping them going. The crisis had apparently passed until this irresponsible media report dug it up.

The critical issue here is that such sensationalist reporting, presumably with a side order of a dig at both the Government and Brexit in an attempt to portray a damaged economy will damage customer confidence and affect bookings.

Precisely the last thing Flybe needs.
It would kill Belfast City Airport. If Flybe went under, Belfast City would service 4 airports across 4 airlines.

Easyjet would have a monopoly in NI as Ryanair drops it's routes to the mainland and the frequency of it's flights.

Flybe? Used them out of Southampton. Decent enough, treated my like a star when I flew back from Dublin as an aeromed repatriation case. Waved the ticket for the babysitter.

It's owned by Connect Airways which is itself owned 30% by Virgin Travel Group, 30% Stobart Aviation and 40% by DLP Holdings, which is a Luxembourg Company owned by Cyrus Capital Partners.

None of whom are exactly skint.

And now fishing for public funds to save the shit airline they paid too much for.

Jog on.
I’d not disagree with any of that.

Which is probably another reason it will happen.

It would kill Belfast City Airport. If Flybe went under, Belfast City would service 4 airports across 4 airlines.

Easyjet would have a monopoly in NI as Ryanair drops it's routes to the mainland and the frequency of it's flights.
Yep. It would be terrible for NI

Yep. It would be terrible for NI
Time to start building that tunnel. I wonder would BA sense an opening in the Belfast route and service some of the Flybe routes.. 2.7 million passengers were estimated to use Belfast City last year, Flybe had 90% of the flights.

I wonder what happened to Air Passenger Duty tax being scrapped in NI.. useless NI politicians again.

Although on a plus note.. I'll not have the bastarding planes trying to land on my roof on the way into Belfast City..

Tool

LE
I’d wager we (the taxpayers) are about to become part owners of a regional airline. My reasoning:

3 airlines to the wall in as many years doesn’t look good for a Tory Government, especially a new one, riding high and keen to look good to both business and areas beyond the M25.
I disagree with the second paragraph. It doesn't look good for ANY government to have large(ish) organisations going under.
There is, however, the question of why the major shareholders, two* of which are doing very well financially, are not stumping up to support FlyBe.

*Stobart - the land transport bit - are struggling. I don't know the connection between them and Stobart Air.

BopBopBop

War Hero
Flew Flybe, Belfast city to London city last week.

I think its the only airline in NI that does city to city and I would have thought that alone would have ensured a steady stream of passengers, however when we flew there were only about 20 passengers and our turbo-prop was replaced by a Stobart air embraer jet. Less than 1hr in the air.

I can never understand the online ticketing. Sometimes its £200+ one way but being flexible we can usually travel for about £90 return.

Flew back yesterday in a half full, turbo prop and apart from nearly landing on some feckers roof made it into Belfast.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Current Affairs, News and Analysis 22

Latest Threads