Flybe

Our flight should have left Belfast for Cardiff at 19.15hrs.

It was still on the ground in Cardiff at 20.00 hrs. The flight was " Grounded" due to technical issues allegedly. What it was in reality was that two flights were less than a quarter full, so they pulled our flight out of the schedule.

Flybe state they recently they have tightened up on luggage over cabinmax dimensions.
Whether someone deduces that it's because so passengers are really pushing their luck with oversize baggage (you don't have to be a frequent flyer to encounter plenty of instances of that) or whether they think it's another way for flybe to make more money, will depend on their outlook.
They seemed to go through phases. You turn up for your flight one day, after months of no one being interested in luggage, and suddenly everyone is being subject to putting their cases in 'the cage' both at the desk and sometimes as you're heading out through the door to the plane. Couple of weeks later and it's back to normal as I suppose the staff are fed up having people strop at them because they've been caught out. A job I couldn't do as somebody would end up getting lumped.

They seemed to go through phases. You turn up for your flight one day, after months of no one being interested in luggage, and suddenly everyone is being subject to putting their cases in 'the cage' both at the desk and sometimes as you're heading out through the door to the plane. Couple of weeks later and it's back to normal as I suppose the staff are fed up having people strop at them because they've been caught out. A job I couldn't do as somebody would end up getting lumped.
I am an infrequent Flybe passenger, however, I did fly with them last week from EDI - MUC - DUS and back and they were rigorously enforcing the cabin bag rules. I suspect that there are two factors involved:
1. The Virgin takeover is in progress
2. Flybe are reportedly having cash flow issues and are relying on day to day support from Virgin.

Every £50 helps.

Last edited:
We’l probably all get done for excess luggage when our passports go back to being the proper size in months to come....
After the shower of sh1t performance of 'our' MPs the past couple of weeks I doubt brexit will happen in my lifetime.

We’l probably all get done for excess luggage when our passports go back to being the proper size in months to come....

View attachment 382444
OK, I'll bite.

There will be no return to the "old" passport (which was a totally impractical size and shape anyway), and the proposed Brexit passport will look like this:-

1552550977095.png

This is the perfect analogy for the whole Brexit process - same old shit in a different colour,

If you can avoid it, DO NOT fly with this bunch of pillocks.

Hand luggage capacity is a joke, a small sandwich box is all you'll get past the booking desk and to put anything larger in the hold will cost you £40. The attitude of the staff, especially in Belfast is piss poor. Really poor service off them.

Flight delays, no update on the terminal flight boards, no updates to the delays online and the staff were thicker than a whales foreskin.

Overall they are a very very poor airline, only flown with them once, I'll never fly with them again.

Just giving people the heads up.
I got put on one of their horrible, cramped Dash-8s to Exeter last time I got off the boat, despite cheaper flights to my requested destination of Bristol being available with KLM or even cheesyJet (which proves your point; preferring that shower to Flybe). The only bonus was a shorter walk to the car rental office and being able to get straight on the motorway instead of an interminable 30mph crawl along the A38 behind some muppet who thinks that they'll get a ticket from one of the two (dummy) speed traps because the posted limit varies between 40-50mph.

Neither of which offset the lower back and neck aches from their shitty seating. They wanted me to take out a second mortgage to pay for one of those thimble-size cans of pop and an unappetising and stale-looking (and tiny) sandwich, too.

Oh, and Dash-8s are fucking noisy inside, too.

By the by, people who rock up at the aircraft steps with "cabin baggage" bigger than my (checked-in) work bag should be lined up on the apron and shot out of hand.

By the by, people who rock up at the aircraft steps with "cabin baggage" bigger than my (checked-in) work bag should be lined up on the apron and shot out of hand.
Try flights to the Middle East and you'll love the amount of 'cabin baggage' some take onboard (staff don't give a flying f). It also seems compulsory to switch your phone on while still on the roll out and standing and retrieving luggage (because you'll get off more quickly that way) before the plane is parked (because the pilot never suddenly applies the brakes so people fall over).

By his own admission, the wheels of his case extended out of the measuring frame by two inches.
So, is he failing to understand the principle of overall dimensions?
Or, is he complaining about inconsistency because he got away with luggage over the cabin max allowance in one direction ? Would he have been any happier had he been charged for his luggage in both directions ?
It's a trade-off, with budget airlines many flyers are happy with no-frills in order to get cheap flights. If you want any extras, then be prepared to pay for them.
Low cost airlines brought the "option" to air travellers to pay less for their flights by travelling with hand/cabin luggage only. Then it got complicated as different companies each have different dimensions/weight requirements/restrictions (e.g. Whizzair, Easyjet, Ryanair and even LOT in economy class).

You just have to pay attention to their stated luggage rules and make your decisions about whether to exceed the limit and risk being charged more, accordingly.
Some of the airline web sites can be confusing. As you go through the process of purchasing a ticket, they initially offer the option of bringing more/bigger luggage by means of a relatively costly upgrade to the ticket. However, at a later stage they offer a relatively cheap cabin luggage option (for the Ryanair flight I took two days ago I paid 6 Euros more - big deal). Confusingly, Ryanair calls this option "speedy boarding". On my flight almost all the passengers had opted for it so the boarding certainly wasn't speedier but hey - it made no difference in the end.

I've only ever seen draconian enforcement of the rules once, quite a few years ago boarding an Easyjet flight at Luton. Two female employees at the gate required passengers to fit their cases into the measuring frame. From what I could see they found the frustration of the passengers they "caught" somewhat amusing. They may even have been airport ground services rather than Easyjet employees. When my case required a push to fit into the frame they nixed it. I extracted the litre of scotch I had just bought in the duty free, the case then fitted into the frame smoothly and they admitted me politely.

As I mentioned on another thread, since all this started, a Brit firm called It Luggage started designed a very handy bit of kit they tout as "the world's lightest case". It weighs 1.5 kg, the trolley handle design means none of the interior space is taken up to accommodate it, it has two recessed wheels and I haven't yet found an airline that it's external dimensions are too big for.

World's Lightest WHD | IT Luggage

As I mentioned on another thread, since all this started, a Brit firm called It Luggage started designed a very handy bit of kit they tout as "the world's lightest case". It weighs 1.5 kg, the trolley handle design means none of the interior space is taken up to accommodate it, it has two recessed wheels and I haven't yet found an airline that it's external dimensions are too big for.

World's Lightest WHD | IT Luggage
How are you going to know? There are no dimensions quoted on the website.

Try flights to the Middle East and you'll love the amount of 'cabin baggage' some take onboard (staff don't give a flying f). It also seems compulsory to switch your phone on while still on the roll out and standing and retrieving luggage (because you'll get off more quickly that way) before the plane is parked (because the pilot never suddenly applies the brakes so people fall over).
Absolutely - I've had to sprint through the terminal to make the flight because of the check-in queue full of muppets with everything but the kitchen sink, sometimes just bundled in a knotted sheet, on flights to Dubai.

Conversely, what annoys me is aisle passengers who remain fixed in their seats after the 'plane has stopped and the sign gone off when I desperately want to stand up and let the blood back into my legs.

Low cost airlines brought the "option" to air travellers to pay less for their flights by travelling with hand/cabin luggage only. Then it got complicated as different companies each have different dimensions/weight requirements/restrictions (e.g. Whizzair, Easyjet, Ryanair and even LOT in economy class).
What makes me laugh is where there is a size/weight limit for economy passengers but business/first can have as much carry-on as they like - the overhead bins appear to be the same capacity/max. loading up front as they are in the cattle section.

I have seen a few go flying haha they are getting strict on baggage now and the 30kg no longer applies on most tickets. They dropped it to 25kg and you also have to pay if you want a designated seat

they are getting strict on baggage now and the 30kg no longer applies on most tickets. They dropped it to 25kg and you also have to pay if you want a designated seat
Not flown with EK since I finished working in Dubai 3 years ago, when I was there I flew with them regularly. Got a flight with them on Saturday to Jakarta with change of plane in Dubai. I had noticed the changes on weight, booking seats (used to choose it as soon as you made a booking) etc. so it'll be interesting to see how effective they are over the past 3 years. Checking in at LHR will be pretty strict I imagine, DXB will be the usual free for all (not that I'll see it as only transit).

Yes you are right - it's a bloody ridiculous site - I got mine for 30 quid online from Tesco about 4 years ago. I dunno where's best nowadays - try these:

10 Ultralight Rolling Carry-on Bags Under 5 Lbs. | SmarterTravel
If the dimensions quoted by Amazon are correct, then it won't fit in the Flybe cabin bag sizer.
Height 55.4 centimetres
Length 18.5 centimetres
Width 36.1 centimetres

vs Flybe sizer:
Height 55 centimetres
Length 20 centimetres
Width 35 centimetres

Latest Threads