Flybe

If you can avoid it, DO NOT fly with this bunch of pillocks.

Hand luggage capacity is a joke, a small sandwich box is all you'll get past the booking desk and to put anything larger in the hold will cost you £40. The attitude of the staff, especially in Belfast is piss poor. Really poor service off them.

Flight delays, no update on the terminal flight boards, no updates to the delays online and the staff were thicker than a whales foreskin.

Overall they are a very very poor airline, only flown with them once, I'll never fly with them again.

Just giving people the heads up.

A work colleague of mine has just got back from Germany and it sounds as if he had a similar painful experience with them.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
they're a total shower of shite. we use them a lot as half of the family live in Jersey and if you rock up to the airport for the 9am flight and you're the only sod booked for it, they'll magically have a problem with the aircraft which will mean you'll have to fly on the midday one. my sister has turned up for the first flight of the day and not actually gotten on a plane until the evening. easier for them to claim mechanical problems and fob people off with a fiver voucher for the airport restaurant than to just flat out say 'there were three people booked on it, we'll lose money by letting it take off.'

they're known 'Maybe' on Jersey for that reason. twunts.

they're a total shower of shite. we use them a lot as half of the family live in Jersey and if you rock up to the airport for the 9am flight and you're the only sod booked for it, they'll magically have a problem with the aircraft which will mean you'll have to fly on the midday one. my sister has turned up for the first flight of the day and not actually gotten on a plane until the evening. easier for them to claim mechanical problems and fob people off with a fiver voucher for the airport restaurant than to just flat out say 'there were three people booked on it, we'll lose money by letting it take off.'

they're known 'Maybe' on Jersey for that reason. twunts.
Airline economics don't exactly work like that. Sometimes it's cheaper for a whole 737 to fly with just one pax than not at all.

Airline economics don't exactly work like that. Sometimes it's cheaper for a whole 737 to fly with just one pax than not at all.
I don't know how they work but I've flown once on a 767 with just 10 or maybe 15 of us aboard from NYC to LON! This was after a snow storm so things were chaotic and people were trying to be routed on whatever was next. Had the whole plane to ourselves and probably 1:2 crew and pass ratio - one of the best flights ever, even if it was AA. We did try and do a fair job of emptying the galley bar and the crew were happy to oblige!

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
you ask anyone who lives on the island what they're like, then.

Air Canada and it’s subsidiary carriers will fly even if the aircraft only has 10% of the seats filled, schedules to keep.
From what out Canadian posters on here say, the Canadian government will pick up any losses.

A given sector may only have 10% seats occupied, but the return flight mat very well be either full or nearly so.

If you can avoid it, DO NOT fly with this bunch of pillocks.

Hand luggage capacity is a joke, a small sandwich box is all you'll get past the booking desk and to put anything larger in the hold will cost you £40. The attitude of the staff, especially in Belfast is piss poor. Really poor service off them.

Flight delays, no update on the terminal flight boards, no updates to the delays online and the staff were thicker than a whales foreskin.

Overall they are a very very poor airline, only flown with them once, I'll never fly with them again.

Just giving people the heads up.
Possibly good news, if the laws of Darwin are allowed to take their course, Flybe will be gone within 12 months.

No doubt the usual apologists on here will be blaming Brexit should that happen.

Air Canada and it’s subsidiary carriers will fly even if the aircraft only has 10% of the seats filled, schedules to keep.
That’s right. If they have onward scheduling rather than being a simple turn around service they will fly onwards even if they are empty. I have been on a flight from Vegas which originated in San Francisco, onward to LA, then Vegas, to Albuquerque, to Orlando, finishing in Miami for an overnight then turnaround for the return starting next morning.

I flew back from Germany and got chatting to one of the stew’s. It was her first work flight with Lufthansa, previously having worked with Air Berlin. I asked her if Lufthansa was better to work for. She told me yes, starting with the training at budget operator Air Berlin being 5 days compared to Lufthansa’s 3 months. Budget airlines are budget for a reason.

Last edited:
Use them for work a lot. We can often book the same flight, same aircraft, either direct or with Air France. If we go direct it is small carry on and endure, via Air France we get a bigger carry on bag and a drinks voucher (if you remind the check in staff). Air France is often cheaper too....

I use them to fly to Belfast every year. Never had an issue with them and they always work out cheaper than easyjet
I live near (ish) Southampton and was doing work near Glasgow. Flew up every week (sometimes via Manchester as there were things going on there as well) and never had a problem in 4 years.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The Navy flew a team of us upto meet a ship once and it was on a little Flybe propellor job.

I was sat next to a Chief WAFU (Aircraft Engineer), right under the wing so we could see the engine in detail..

There was an inspection cover that wasn’t secured which flapped around for the entire flight. This was quite a big piece of aircraft, about 12” by 24”.

His take was that if they’re ******* up basics like closing inspection covers before taking off, then what else are they missing?

Back pocket today, safety catch tomorrow, submarine hatch on Friday as they say.

Never flown with them since.

I used to use Flybe a lot on the Glasgow - Southampton route when I worked at the APC. Generally found them to be a decent, no frills carrier and usually reliable.
There was one memorable occasion though when the Friday evening flight out of Glasgow was severely delayed and didn’t take off until around midnight. Because Southampton Airport effectively shuts down at midnight, the flight was diverted to Bournemouth and then we were bussed to Southampton, arriving there around 2 in the morning.
I was assured that my hire car keys were waiting for me in arrival, but because everything was shut, I couldn’t collect them until they opened again at 6.
The lone Security guard allowed me to kip inside the airport until it opened again - I was the only person inside the arrivals terminal. I tried to get a bit of sleep, but was rudely interrupted every couple of minutes by the tannoy, reminding passengers “not to leave any baggage unattended”! A wonderful evenings entertainment- not!

Didn't the first minister of Guernsey have a problem with them last week? Flew to Jersey with hand luggage, no problem. Flew back with the same bag and got a £50 baggage charge.
By his own admission, the wheels of his case extended out of the measuring frame by two inches.
So, is he failing to understand the principle of overall dimensions?
Or, is he complaining about inconsistency because he got away with luggage over the cabinmax allowance in one direction ? Would he have been any happier had he been charged for his luggage in both directions ?
It's a trade-off, with budget airlines many flyers are happy with no-frills in order to get cheap flights. If you want any extras, then be prepared to pay for them.
As for flybe, I've recently flown between London City and Belfast City and between Southend and Cologne and I've been fortunate that all the flights I'd rate as very good.
Flybe state they recently they have tightened up on luggage over cabinmax dimensions.
Whether someone deduces that it's because so passengers are really pushing their luck with oversize baggage (you don't have to be a frequent flyer to encounter plenty of instances of that) or whether they think it's another way for flybe to make more money, will depend on their outlook.

Latest Threads