Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Fly to work in a Spitfire?

I was just reading this thread, and thinking of the evocative tone of a Merlin, when I heard/felt another one close to my heart. The dulcet tones of twin 3-blade rotors that can only be a CH-47 Chinook. Looked out the door, and there she was, transiting along the lake. I'd pay good money for one more trip in one of these babies:

14606070366_9cb4d29d79_b.jpg

Especially that particular one!

By working aircraft I am only referring to being flown regularly, not so much about its guts. I fully agree about keeping as much original as possible, but mustangs are the most butchered up warbird flying these days. The best as found and not modified I have worked on are FG-1D Corsairs, one even still had the original yellow/green primer on the inside of the fuselage.

I get a nice warm feeling when I see a Corsair, I particularly like the non-birdcage version. They look a little ungainly on the ground but once airborne they just look right and appeal to the inner aeronaut. Same goes with the Spitfire and the P-51D (not the earlier P-51 versions). I look at the Titan Mustang and okay I can see that its functional and the owner probably has a bundle of fun with it but its proportions just don't trigger the quickening.

Some time ago I was part of a group that looked into building replica, full size Spitfires including the engines. All fell apart when the money men fell out about who spilled who's pint or something of that ilk; idiots and an opportunity missed. It wouldn't have been an original 1940s aircraft but it would have flown as if it had just rolled out of Castle Bromwich.

I was just reading this thread, and thinking of the evocative tone of a Merlin, when I heard/felt another one close to my heart. The dulcet tones of twin 3-blade rotors that can only be a CH-47 Chinook. Looked out the door, and there she was, transiting along the lake. I'd pay good money for one more trip in one of these babies:

View attachment 327468

You get a better view...
...in a Sioux.

View attachment 327468

You'd like living round our way. I have them flying over regularly along with Apaches. Other locals whinge and wail about noise and why can't the troops just pretend that they're in a helicopter and run along the road in a group going wokka wokka wokka (somebody actually submitted that one to the local rag). I go outside and sniff the air as they fly over.

You get a better view...
...in a Sioux.

Never had the pleasure. But I've got a special affinity with Mr Wokka. I spent the best years of my life flying in them, marshaling them, hooking under them and controlling their LZs. I felt the vibration more than heard it this afternoon, and knew where to look and what for. Brought it all back. It's more than half a lifetime ago for me, but dang, I miss them.

As @PFGEN says, I'd inhale their exhaust like dîckheads do smack. Dunno what it is at the root of it, but the CH-47 is the King of helicopters. I've spent plenty of time in powerful military helos of many types, but give me a Wokka any day. The King.

...and the P-51D (not the earlier P-51 versions)...

On the other hand I like the lines of the P51A. That razorback look does it for me, although it didn't perform as well at altitude due to engine constraints.

Spitfire? Leaves me cold, I'm afraid. Do like the F4U though. I think later models were fitted with corncob engines and they're really beefy looking exhibits. Solid and workmanlike. Same for the A1A.

why can't the troops just pretend that they're in a helicopter and run along the road in a group going wokka wokka wokka (somebody actually submitted that one to the local rag). I go outside and sniff the air as they fly over.

That, in fact, is exactly what we did when training to be deployed to VN in 1967.
Never ever saw a bloody helicopter until we arrived in the country.
The training consisted of RL Bedfords and chairs set out on the parade ground to simulate the interior of a Huey.
Imagine our surprise on arriving in the country to find that there were as many helicopters as mosquitos, and were being used as taxis.
A complete culture shock.
One thing I must give to the yanks is that when they train their troops, is that they train with the real thing.

Never had the pleasure. But I've got a special affinity with Mr Wokka. I spent the best years of my life flying in them, marshaling them, hooking under them and controlling their LZs. I felt the vibration more than heard it this afternoon, and knew where to look and what for. Brought it all back. It's more than half a lifetime ago for me, but dang, I miss them.

As @PFGEN says, I'd inhale their exhaust like dîckheads do smack. Dunno what it is at the root of it, but the CH-47 is the King of helicopters. I've spent plenty of time in powerful military helos of many types, but give me a Wokka any day. The King.

I am scared of flying and heights, Helicopters absolutely petrify me I am always wanting to get on the deck as soon as possible I never as long as I live want to get on a Sea Stallion shite heap again, there is one exception to this and it baffled me it is the only type of Helicopter I have been in where I haven't been scared out of my wits the entire time in it and it was a Wokka I have no idea why, also got to fly in BN in Afghanistan which was an experience and a half

On the other hand I like the lines of the P51A. That razorback look does it for me, although it didn't perform as well at altitude due to engine constraints.

Spitfire? Leaves me cold, I'm afraid. Do like the F4U though. I think later models were fitted with corncob engines and they're really beefy looking exhibits. Solid and workmanlike. Same for the A1A.

Now that's what I mean. It should tickle your soul and I'm afraid the reduced scale replicas don't do it for me.

I love the noise that corncob engine makes when its started up from cold. Its one mahoosive mother. By contrast the Merlin sounds like a well tuned sports car. Both have their own unique distinctive sound.

Some might like this. Jay Leno has a Merlin engine in his garage in a stand for static running. He's just a big kid with bigger toys. Got to like that.

Packard Merlin

Last edited:
Now that's what I mean. It should tickle your soul and I'm afraid the reduced scale replicas don't do it for me.

I love the noise that corncob engine makes when its started up from cold. Its one mahoosive mother. By contrast the Merlin sounds like a well tuned sports car. Both have their own unique distinctive sound.

Some might like this. Jay Leno has a Merlin engine in his garage in a stand for static running. He's just a big kid with bigger toys. Got to like that.

Packard Merlin
If you want a fun experience, try starting up a Corsair with the shotgun starter, standing right behind the 13ft Hamilton Standard prop when it’s winding up is something you’ll never forget.

...It should tickle your sou...l

It's just a replica so expecting the real thing would be a bit silly. That said, some replicas are a bit tummy banana enlarging like the Titan Mustang. There's also a 190 replica that makes me drool. You just know they're bags of fun to fly and hooning about in them would be better than feeling up Claudia Schiffer (but not by much).

It's just a replica so expecting the real thing would be a bit silly. That said, some replicas are a bit tummy banana enlarging like the Titan Mustang. There's also a 190 replica that makes me drool. You just know they're bags of fun to fly and hooning about in them would be better than feeling up Claudia Schiffer (but not by much).

That needs a "knowing smile" button rather than just a like.