Fly to work in a Spitfire?

It looks a bot like the ones that are being built at Enstone airfield in Ofordshire. For years there have been the occasional story on the Oxford mail again about somebody or a group of people wanting to build a whole squadron of replicas . In fact its just appeared again yesterday .

I personally do not see the appeal as they are 4/5 replicas with a v6 engine or something but if thats what they want to do then thats up to them . Its not actually a spitfire however much they play with it !

Two seats;

•Fitted with a 350 HP Lycoming TIO 540 engine, which is expected to give him a speed of 180 to 200 knots (208 to 230 mph);

•It is constructed from aluminium with the same dimensions and look as the original;

The ( supposed advantage of 4/5ths scale is the stress loadings go down by well in excess of a fifth so it’s easyer to make it lighter and bits are less likely to depart the airframe at speed. I had a good look around one being built a few years ago. ( that one was being built with an abortion of a jabaru flat 8)
Wasn’t tempted , they just don’t look right as if Disney had a hand in the design.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Flying to work in a Spitfire used to be very popular:

1521704581131.png

It looks a bot like the ones that are being built at Enstone airfield in Ofordshire. For years there have been the occasional story on the Oxford mail again about somebody or a group of people wanting to build a whole squadron of replicas . In fact its just appeared again yesterday .

I personally do not see the appeal as they are 4/5 replicas with a v6 engine or something but if thats what they want to do then thats up to them . Its not actually a spitfire however much they play with it !
'Swhy it's called a replica, innit?

RJ would spin in his grave if he saw that "thing". That's as much a Spitfire as some of the new citizens who arrived in boats to the UK are children. Even at a squint, from 5 miles away, on a misty day and after 26 pints it still wouldn't pass. The engine would be a dead giveaway. Maybe if he'd had the real deal his neighbours wouldn't have registered complaints. Some of us would pay good money to have the sweet sound of a Merlin waking us from our slumbers in the morning.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
I mock your puny five blades and give you six, contrarotating!
1521718403813.png