Fly fishing for coarse fish

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Micawber, Mar 9, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone have any experience of this? Is it a realistic prospect or just attractive to established coarse anglers as an alternative method to break up the usual routine?

I ask because I am a standard issue fly fisherman in whose mind the sport is synonymous with trout, but I don't enjoy bashing stocked lakes and so travel a bit to chalk streams to find what I enjoy doing.

This inevitably makes it an all day-er, or an afternoon and evening session, which can be hard to fit in as often as I'd like.

There is, however, a good deal of quality coarse fishing on the Dorset Stour very near me which I could easily bash away at from first light 'till eight am in the summer whenever I felt like getting up that early.

It is also beautiful and includes a couple of very picturesque weirs and mill pools, with lots of pike, chub and roach and just the sort of place you'd love to be at sparrow fart on a sunny morning.

But....there needs to be at least a faint prospect of catching something.

As a fly fisherman I am not in the least bit snobbish about my target fish, but I do love the method and the light, mobile and active way of going about it and while I'll change the prey at the drop of a hat I'm not going to suddenly start float fishing, legering, dead baiting etc.

Spinning is the obvious thing, but is fly fishing for coarse fish a viable option?
  2. From Wikipedia
    I'll be real interested to find out if one of the Shedi has tried fly fishing for coarse fish.

But how about Fly fishing for Marlin!
  3. Ive caught Perch using a PTN , admittedly in a muddy river in Sardinia.
  4. Never done it myself, but by I've heard of pike and carp being caught with a fly.
  5. There's a book by J.R. Hartley.
  6. I have used the fly rod to catch Carp up to 20lb using pellet. Bloody good sport and real fun on the flyrod. Stripping back for pike has been doing the rounds for a few years and again meant to be excellent fun.
  7. Pike, Perch and Carp all good fun on the fly, Also have a go at Sea Bass and Mullet as well if you have chance from Portland Bill there are guys if you google that guide that area.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. As above
    pike perch and grayling are fished for on the fly..or lure to be precise, but generally associated with the winter, imho a mind splitting activity.
  9. There's a Jock bloke who regularly fly fishes for bass from the NE coast and has an impressive catch rate.

He was looked upon as an eccentric lunatic by the hard core bait fisherman when he first started but that has now changed.

They now just regard him as an annoying Jock stroker who believes the only way to truly appreciate a sport fish is on the fly.
  10. Pike on the fly are great fun, went with a mate of mine in the summer after the young jack pike up on the Broads. Sea fishing is my game and I have seen some of the boys go after the bass with a fly and the best sport I had was in Key West going after bonefish.
  11. I fly fish for anything salt, game, coarse. At my local trout lake I downsize to a #0 and flick tiny flies at the mini rud and roach shoals

Chub will have a bang at owt that looks vaguely food like, you'll need a slightly heavier rod than a #0 though :)

Carp are either easy or hard to catch, but which ever way its a stalk and then a debate about whether its fair to "chum them up" with boilies or other food substances that you can recreate in fly form

to me sticking my rod through a bush and plopping a boilie lookylikey fly in front of a carp isn't really fly fishing for me though, its all about the casting

never gone for pike, but you'll need some heavier armaments to flick big flies and teeth proof leader to tame the beasts if you hook em up
  12. You are talking about fishing aren't you?
    • Like Like x 2