Flu Shot Potentially Reduces the Risk of Alzheimers

As many of us are approaching the age of incontinence, dribbling and colostomy bags I thought I would share this with you.

Some research has discovered a link between getting an annual flu shot and reducing the risk of Alzheimers by 40%.

So there you have it, go and get flu shots every year.

I did look at that and it is interesting.
I always have gotten the annual flu shot for 40+ years here in US. I skipped it one year and had a nasty case of the flu. I get it to prevent flu but preventing dementia would be a plus. I would hate to end up like my sadly befuddled President .

My money is on the latter, given the recent stuff about COVID and brain shrinkage.
Researchers have now found that the flu vaccine may have a protective effect, but it is not clear whether the vaccines themselves have an effect on risk, or whether preventing an infection does.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer

ImNotABot

Clanker
Well I can confirm that my olfactory sensor is not what it used to be. Pretty sure some smells have changed, and some have diminished. Can no longer smell $hite (sulphur dioxide?) of all things. Which is quite handy for nappy changing / bottom wiping of the kids lol. Though I am a bit more wary wrt to things like meat preparation. Need to OH to double check chicken on occasion.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Always read the actual paper: Risk of Alzheimer’s Disease Following Influenza Vaccination: A Claims-Based Cohort Study Using Propensity Score Matching - IOS Press

There are several limitations that must be considered. ... Third, this study counted cases of incident “senile” or unspecified dementia as incident AD; although 60–80% of these patients empirically have AD, the actual percentage in the CDM is unknown.

That means differences in the definition of Alzheimers / dementia they are using potentially encompasses the entire 40% difference finding. A single medically significant "senile" incident is not remotely the same as either chronic dementia or Alzheimer's, and is actually pretty common for a range of reasons, including in sub-65 year olds. Having said that, this isn't the first paper finding this, so in this case, it's quite possible there is some link.

COVID papers (and how they are reported), however, are just abysmal for hiding these kinds of statistical limitations that potentially invalidate the entire finding.