Flu jab

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
You would know if you had. Generally you would be a sweating/ shivering mess, unable to get out of bed for about a week, not eaten anything for days and lose a load of weight.
Once, both of us got it, courtesy of an Irish civil servant on the way back from Brussels. Crawled up the stairs and into bed, where we stayed for most of a week. I’m assured it was flu.

Me n Doris had ours the first week in October
forgot we'd had an injection 5 minutes later
none of this aches and pain and bedwetting stuff

the younger generation …….................sigh!
I had mine on Thursday. Same thing as you - no issues.

This older generation...................sigh!

Well, I have been getting the flu shot since the later 50's or early 60's when I was in my early teens. My parents were enthusiastic about the flu shots as my mum has lost an aunt, uncle and two baby cousins in the US 1918 pandemic as well as an uncle who died of a flu when a US soldier in France. My dad lost an aunt and two baby cousins in 1918 to the flu. It was a killer.

I have had a flu shot every year since other than 1974 when I thought I was too busy with work and law school to get a shot. That was a big mistake. I still single then and I recall my poor mother helping me cope with sweat soaked PJ's and bringing extra blankets as I felt frozen despite a high fever. I have never skipped the flu shot since. I never have any significant reaction to the shot other than some years I have had a slight soreness at the injection site. I suspect that the lack of reaction is due to some cumulative immunity due to annual shots for many years.

This year, being over 70, I was given the mega dose the US wants for those over 70. I had no reaction to it at all and hopefully it worked. I don't want to die of flu.
(for the record I don't want to die of cancer, heart attack, stroke or alzheimer's either).

PS - A tip for ARRSER's with young kids. I worked for a city and about ten years ago most managers and department heads were "volunteered" to help at a large flu inoculation center for kids held at a school. They had the usual injected vaccine and a smaller stock of the nasal aerosol vaccine. Parents wanted the aerosol to spare the kids the trauma of an injection. A mistake!! The aerosol needs to have the tube put far up the nose and is quite traumatizing for kids. The kids with the nasal med really screeched! The injection is far easier.
Also, do not bring your kids to a clinic wearing dresses with long, tight, non-stretchy sleeves. Boys don't generally mind taking shirts off but the girls get upset. Have the kids wear a short sleeved shirt under a jumper. Easier for the kids and avoids a fuss that slows things down for all.

What if you're borderline diabetic, and have a habit of catching every bug going

My immune system should be pretty strong, but my GP keeps nagging me to have the flu jab

What if you're borderline diabetic, and have a habit of catching every bug going

My immune system should be pretty strong, but my GP keeps nagging me to have the flu jab
Well your GP probably knows more about your health than I do or anybody else of ARRSE. Maybe go with the guy who knows what he is doing.

[QUOTE

This older generation...................sigh![/QUOTE]

I feel your pain, it's us old farts not dieing spending all your cash, and getting equity release on our properties to pay for an exuberant lifestyle......selfish bastards every one of us

Diabetes is no bar to the flu jab.

The NHS says:
"For 2018, there are 3 types of flu vaccine... none of which contain live virus. The worst you will get is a poor poor achy wachey arm you great wuss... take your pick from:"​

• a live quadrivalent vaccine (which protects against 4 strains of flu), given as a nasal spray – this is for children and young people aged 2 to 17 years eligible for the flu vaccine
  • a quadrivalent injected vaccine – this is for adults aged 18 and over but below the age of 65 who are at increased risk from flu because of a long-term health condition and for children 6 months and above in an eligible group who cannot receive the live vaccine
  • an adjuvanted trivalent injected vaccine – this is for people aged 65 and over as it has been shown to be more effective in this age group

Last edited:
I had the flu jab last year I was a bit concerned that it contained mercury but during the summer heatwave I went from 5'11" to 6'2" so I'm deffo getting it again.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
CptDanjou Health and Fitness 73
HopefulMong The NAAFI Bar 32
Fireplace The NAAFI Bar 9