Flossing

I had a loose upper incisor and the dentist said on my last visit last month that due to gum receeding there was nothing he could do apart from pulling it out .
I said ok I will just leave it at the moment as it would leave a gap. it has been bugging me more this week so tonight I pulled it out myself as I could not get an appointment till Friday. I wiggled it till it was really loose then got my hens foot pliers and gave it a sharp pull and out it came. A wee bit of blood and a quick swallow and rinse with a whisky and it is all good .
Blacksmiths used to do dental work in the 19th century.

Sometime back I saw a marvellous presentation about increasing the depth at which ladies can put object down their throat. As it was to an open audience the young lady doing the demonstration and presentation used a toothbrush rather than the intended object. Apparently an old dentists trick is to have the patient make a fist with their left hand gripping the thumb inside the fist. The young lady demonstrated both no fist and fist technique showing a marked increased depth of toothbrush insertion down the back of the tongue.

There you have it; increased oral hygiene ;) by making a fist with your left hand and gripping the thumb.
That was in Throatgaggers 7, unless I'm much mistaken.

At my last trip to the dentist, the (eye catchingly lovely) young lady dentist extolled the virtues of flossing - "a game changer" as she put it.

I can recall reading somewhere that flossing is an indicator of a longer life, and I thought I'd give it a go. The practice had, funnily enough, a preferred type that they sold. About 15mm of floss in a yoke.

She showed me the correct way to use it - insert between teeth, rub up and down on the edge surface of each tooth. I took her advice and bought a pack.

Must admit I was surprised at the (stinking) goo that came out on the first couple of attempts, but I've now made it part of my morning routine - leccy brush, floss, mouthwash.

Thought I'd share, because I'm nice like that.

@Fang_Farrier - anything to add?
Wooden tooth picks is what yer need , my old Son

Just as good and you can, with pratice, make yourself look like one of the American Gangsters from dem black 'n' white filums .....or, to be uber ethnic, go around chewing a small twig.

Doesn't all the shite that builds in the gaps eventually eat away at the sides of otherwise healthy teeth?

With accompanying halitosis

My kids like flossing, but personally I don't enjoy fortnite.

Thanks to shoddy dentistry (Cost a couple k to get it sorted), I don't have many teeth left on my bottom right and top left. I don't have that much to floss. I prefer those tepe brushes for what I have left in my gob.

ugly

LE
Addicted to drugs made fashionable on your side of the pond!
We tend to waste less money on perfect teeth, its a combat indicator of personal insecurity if you need to spend thousands straightening your kids teeth before they leave school. I am convinced school shootings are down to the messages the kids receive via the mouth worn antennae!
Go back to being Cletus, Hollywood is a shitty village in NI!

What a very disappointing thread.

I was hoping it was about some kind of sexual perversion.

My dentist says floss before brushing and don't rinse afterwards; the hygienist says use interdental brushes after brushing as it helps distribute the remaining toothpaste.

That was in Throatgaggers 7, unless I'm much mistaken.
It was actually Throatgaggers 6. Throatgaggers 7 was a retrospective on the history of single mothers of four with webcams and internet access, and their subsequent interaction with social media.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
In the absence of @Fang_Farrier , here's some advice from the monkey as opposed to the organ grinder.

I've worked with many different dentists over the years, and heard many different opinions. The one thing in common with most advice is that gum disease causes more tooth loss and other potential problems than tooth decay.

That said, dental floss is very fiddly and difficult to use and anyone who claims they floss all their teeth twice a day is likely to be either a liar, or an OCD obsessive. A combination of tepee brushes of different sizes, and floss, is probably the best solution.

I've even met a couple of dentists who said they didn't like floss because it actually breaks the contact between the teeth, making the edges more vulnerable to infiltration by sugar/acid/decay.

Basic dental hygiene is, of course, important. But then so is selling products to the "worried well" who believe they'll drop dead or be socially unacceptable if they don't use all the latest products and advice!

See your dentist and get your teeth scaled every six months. If you are susceptible to gum disease, your dentist or hygienist will advise you. I'm lucky that my dentist does this himself instead of contracting it out to an expensive hygienist.

Was wondering what tepee brushes were then realised they were these interdental brushes used by hygienists.

Interdental brushes

Dr Angela has reviews and instructional vids that may be of interest, although I suspect there will be a lot of jaws dropping as she's rather nice ;-)

In her review of an airfloss, she says it's not a full replacement for manual flossing but could be helpful for people with dexterity issues. I know some people prefer "flossing" with water jets.

Your Smile Clinic
Was wondering what tepee brushes were then realised they were these interdental brushes used by hygienists.

Interdental brushes

Dr Angela has reviews and instructional vids that may be of interest, although I suspect there will be a lot of jaws dropping as she's rather nice ;-)

In her review of an airfloss, she says it's not a full replacement for manual flossing but could be helpful for people with dexterity issues. I know some people prefer "flossing" with water jets.

Your Smile Clinic

We use Proaxabrushes. They're great for cleaning the jets in our race bike carburettors.
IMG_0635.JPG

Errr - what are Teepee Brushes?
Tepee brushes are the way forward.

Or alternatively pay for a hygenist visit every month.

Amazing.

That and micro suction for ear wax. Wild stuff.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
_Artemis_ The NAAFI Bar 34