Flora London Marathon 09 - COMBAT STRESS

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by hullboy, Dec 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I realise that all the generous readers of ARRSE are constantly bombarded with requests for donations, but hey if you dont ask you dont get. (Also thanks to all those who sponsored me last year for the London 10K!)
    I am chuffed to have been offered a place on next years London Marathon on behalf of Combat Stress. My aim now though is to raise as much cash as possible for this (as we all know) deserving charity. You will all agree they do such a good job for our lads & lasses, so please help me to help them.

Please sponsor me at www.justgiving.com/stewhitney

Again thank you.

2. HB, I'll see you there, I'm also dead chuffed to have been offered a Combat Stress place. Will get my justgiving page up and running in the New Year.

Good luck with the training,

fmp

3. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

<< BUMP>>

How's the training going guys ?

' Hey, I put some new shoes on,
    And suddenly everything is right,
    I said, hey, I put some new shoes on and everybody's smiling,
    It so inviting,'

Run Forest, R-u-u-n!

Billy Bock

4. I take it all the places are gone already? Would have been nice to run it for combat stress.

5. Training slow to start this year, still not bought new shoes.......... and got sore feet today but not from yesterday's 8k, spent the night at a ceilidh! Good cardio workout that was. Doing a forest run this weekend to get some hill work in.

Must get my justgiving page up and running.

ps Goats, saw the CRS in action last night!

6. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

<< BUMP >>.....

FMP - No alcohol ? Dear god, I feel faint.....this'll be the Granite City puritan streak coming through then ? .... :)

okay, so who's got their first training race scheduled and where ? Anyone doing either the Hastings Half or the Fleet Pre London Half this year ?

All you rufty tufty squaddy types - I imagine you are all aiming to get round quicker than this lass?
    [​IMG]

Keep pounding the pavement guys.....only way forward !

Goats

7. If I see her I may offer to wipe her brow for a while then burn off and leave her for dead.

8. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

JD - [on John Wayne mode] " I call that bold talk for one-eyed fat man.." [off JWM]

Tell you what....are you a sportin' sort of chap ? .....if you beat her personal best for this distance, I'll stick £50 on your Justgiving page.......if, on the other hand, you don't get within 30 minutes of her PB for FLM you can put £50 on mine.......do we have a deal ? :twisted: ...Going Once.......

Le Chevre

9. I could be cruel here and play you along but I've a PB of 2.52 and my last one was 3.02 (I get a guaranteed entry every year as I'm good for old bugger) So it would be unfair of me to blag it but saying that I'm struggling to get motivated this year!

10. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Fair one.....since you've been sporting enough to reveal that you are a Sub 3 runner ( ahem :worship: I've only met one bloke who has beaten 3 hours and he's a nutjob :) ) I'll take advantage and slightly moderate the wager......if you MATCH her PB for this distance then I'll put £50 on your Justgiving page....if, for whatever reason - including no-show - you drop short and do not match it, you put the same sum on mine?.........go ahead, be cruel, don't mind me, think of it as a bit of extra motivation ........going TWICE......

( In the interests of equality of information, you should note that her time in last year's race may have been influenced by the fact she was accompanying her mum over the course....)

Le Chevre

11. Is her PB still 3.10?

Still trying to sort out the charity I'm running for, they aren't replying to my e mails yet and I actually work for them!!

12. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

.......good 'ere innit........do we have a wager ?

If you would like to convert your 'good for age' place into
    'I'm running for Combat Stress' let me know......

PS the fastest currently serving Forces guy over this distance is a Royal Marine -unless he has quit since this time last year.....2 hrs :17 minutes.....

13. I will be doing it unless I come a cropper before hand and will be doing it for SSAFA as soon as they get back in touch with me.

As for 3.10 I've only been worse than that once out of my 11 marathons! That was due to running it post pleurisy!!

14. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Good to know J-D.....is it a bet ?

15. I'm afraid I haven't got £50 spare to be donating to charity, thats why I run to raise it and give my time to SSAFA. I'll be there though at the Red Start looking forward to 26 miles of misery.