Floorboard identification

Toppet

Old-Salt
In what may be the dullest thing I have typed on the internet, is anyone able to assist in identifying/ matching the floorboards in the following picture:

20191103_095735.jpg

I'm helping a friend without much cash to fix his place up, and a couple of the boards are a bit mangled - not worth replacing the whole floor.

They're not solid wood, and look to be b&q / wickes type affairs, but can't find a match there. Any help appreciated.

Slime

LE
Looks like laminate flooring, not floorboards.
I remember fitting a colour and pattern like that in the late nineties/early 2000’s.
They came from Wickes. Could the ones you show be that old?

It might be easiest just to take one up, then take it to B and Q and find the closest match. B and Q shops normally have a good selection of laminates out of their packs and on display.

Another option is to take them up, then swap them around so mangled ones are under items of furniture :)

STOP!!

I may be wrong - but - from my experience, you/I cannot relay (repair) laminate flooring . . . successfully :( .

The long edges will (generally) "snap" together, a second time.

But, when you have them sliding along in parallel, and you slide the new piece (you are working with), to (try and) join to the previous one you laid, I have been unable to get the ENDS to join/snap together :( .

Suppose you could . . . I should have! . . . remove the locking "tounge & groove" from (all) the ends, and just rely on the "tounge & groove" on the long edges to secure them?

4(T)

LE
If you can lift one of the boards, it might just have a batch code or even a manufacturer ID on the reverse.

If they are old, very unlikely that you'll find a match. However, if its a top brand name (Quick Steps, etc) and you are lucky, the design might still be part of a "classic" line or something.

Looks like laminate and has already been pointed out, you can’t just swap out damaged boards. Choices are put up with it, cover it with a rag or furniture or replace it all.

The best stuff I found was Karndean Flooring.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Stick whatever fits to restablise the floor and give it a coat of paint?
(Not sure if restablise is actually a word. But you know what I mean, fix the floor)

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I have lifted and relaid laminate flooring, however you must be willing to accept a fair snappage rate and need for replacement boards

I think you should wait for MrBane’s sage advice as he is the DIY expert.

Toppet

Old-Salt
Cheers gents; they are laminate. Looks like some Feng Shui is in order.

As it’s your mate I think you should tell him they just need sanding down and best to hire an industrial floor sander.

It’s laminate and it looks like Scandinavian pine. That said, that’s not really going to help unless you are really lucky.

Different manufacturers will produce their own shade of Scandinavian pine which will most likely be similar but not an exact match and even if you can source the same manufacturer who can supply what you already have, there is a chance that the old laminate already on your floor may have changed shade or colour slightly over time because the sunlight has been shining on it during the day.

Your best bet is to take a piece of the old flooring with you when you go hunting for some new laminate so you can do a visual comparison. Your first port of call should be where the original laminate was purchased to see if they still do the original stuff. You might be able to buy a box of that and if there is a slight shade difference because the sunlight, the new stuff might blend in over a period of time.

Then there is the job of actually replacing it. If it is the click together stuff, you may be fortunate to be able to separate it. My experience has been that most of it does but sometimes, it can be difficult to separate. The other little matter that could be an issue if your existing has been glued together. That’s unlikely with the click together stuff but some people still do that.

it is all going to be a bit of a gamble.

Your other options range from replacing the lot to chucking a rug down to cover it up.

Here’s hoping that much of what I’ve said here doesn’t apply and you find a great match and it all goes easily and simply.

Good luck.

bcsack

Old-Salt
FYI - if it's in the kitchen might be worth checking under cabinets (kick boards just pop off easily) - fitters tend to leave any spare boards under there !!

In what may be the dullest thing I have typed on the internet, is anyone able to assist in identifying/ matching the floorboards in the following picture:

View attachment 428745

I'm helping a friend without much cash to fix his place up, and a couple of the boards are a bit mangled - not worth replacing the whole floor.

They're not solid wood, and look to be b&q / wickes type affairs, but can't find a match there. Any help appreciated.
You anywhere near St Albans?

Slime

LE
I think you should wait for MrBane’s sage advice as he is the DIY expert.
Good call.
If it was me I’d suggest rebating a groove into the ‘refitted’ laminate strips with a router and making up biscuits or a filler strip to act as a new tongue, but I’ll wait and see what Mr Bane suggests :)

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
clean floor
sand back lightly
clean again with a cloth soaked in white spirit
allow to dry
then using a mini roller and brush paint it with this

otherwise you need to get into a corner lift a section up and take to wickes or B and Q to get a match
however just because the colours match, does not mean the joints will, different manufacturers use a different snap joints

or if there is more in the house, buy a couple of packs cheaply from Wickes ( they are losing money and being sold off by Travis Perkins)
remove the laminate and use the old boards as a cutting guide, then keep the decent bits for repair elsewhere
I have cut away damaged sections and spliced in new bits, but its quite skilled

Last edited:
If the original photo is supposed to show the damaged piece/area, I can not see any problem. But then I'm your pragmatic kind of a bloke, that just gets on with life ;) .

If the photo is supposed to show some damage, I can only imagine your “friend”, is female?!

She/they/mine, will NEVER be satisfied, and no matter WHAT you do - even hiring a professional - she/they/mine will decide that the work/repair is NOT good enough.

If you/he/she, just needs to level-up some dints/holes, maybe try that hard/durable clear “filler”, that is been used on the model railway thread to make ponds/lakes?!

Laminate - a byword for chav.

Latest Threads