Floods National Disaster??

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by MSI64, Jul 24, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was watching the News last night about the flooding in the Middle of England and got to wondering.
    We always seem to have people asking us for Charity donations for various disasters abroad so it got me thinking, are we going to see money pouring into this country to help the Victims of the floods?
    I realize some might say thats what insurance is for, but its still a disaster,
    We seem to give hand over fist to foreign aid surely now is the time that our country needs a helping hand.
  2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

You cannot really compare starving victims in Africa to 200k + homeowners in the Cotswolds.........

Or have Norwich Union/Prudential et al got their business model wrong :?
  3. Was not comparing but surely a disaster is a disaster not everyone who lives there is loaded
  4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Maybe not everyone - but most, houses are not cheap around there.

Not saying its a party, but I come from there and floods are nothing new - this is just worse than normal. Get house insurance.
  5. Worse than normal seems like an understatement
    Ok how about the goverment cuts its overseas contributions and spends some cash here rebuilding or does that kind of thinking make me a rascist
  6. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I have a sister and a great aunt underwater with no electric or running water. I own a place less than 5 miles from where Sky News are filming.
    House insurance covers this - we always knew it was going to happen as its been getting worse over the last years.
  7. Guess that's a no to cutting foreign aid and spending more in the UK, then? Righto.
  8. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Maybe they should spend more on developing other parts of the UK - then people would not feel the need to build houses on postage stamp sized plots on floodplains and any other available land around "nice" towns like Cheltenham/Oxford etc.
  9. Completely agree, Alsacien, I for one am completely in support of spending more within the UK to develop areas not considered "nice" to live in. Perhaps a more even spread of population throughout the country could be encouraged, stop people clogging up the south.
  10. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Its a shame that we seem to have a policy of running areas down to the point they qualify for EU development grants..........if I was a cynical man....
  11. Well, I have to fight the urge to blame immigrants and martians for our problems, when in reality, the problems can generally be traced all the way back to our own government. Nutters.
  12. Does anybody know what the actual figures are for British expenditure on Africa, etc?. Gordon's going to save the world with our money, but I've got a feeling if you're White Native British with water up to your armpits, you might just have sh*t out. Give St Bob or Bono a ring maybe.
  13. From here: http://www.bond.org.uk/campaign/aid04/aidparl.htm

Interesting figures. The website in question tries to suggest the UK should do more, but if you compare UK spending to the four ahead of us, and take into account the populations involved, you would notice the UK is, per capita, spending more than the US for sure.
  14. Better get used to eating fish then. Shouldn't be too hard to catch them, if they're already in the kitchen.
  15. The government have an anti flood plan. Its called covering the south in concrete.