Floods National Disaster??

#1
I was watching the News last night about the flooding in the Middle of England and got to wondering.
We always seem to have people asking us for Charity donations for various disasters abroad so it got me thinking, are we going to see money pouring into this country to help the Victims of the floods?
I realize some might say thats what insurance is for, but its still a disaster,
We seem to give hand over fist to foreign aid surely now is the time that our country needs a helping hand.
 

Alsacien

LE
Moderator
#2
MSI64 said:
I was watching the News last night about the flooding in the Middle of England and got to wondering.
We always seem to have people asking us for Charity donations for various disasters abroad so it got me thinking, are we going to see money pouring into this country to help the Victims of the floods?
I realize some might say thats what insurance is for, but its still a disaster,
We seem to give hand over fist to foreign aid surely now is the time that our country needs a helping hand.
You cannot really compare starving victims in Africa to 200k + homeowners in the Cotswolds.........

Or have Norwich Union/Prudential et al got their business model wrong :?
 
#3
Was not comparing but surely a disaster is a disaster not everyone who lives there is loaded
 

Alsacien

LE
Moderator
#4
MSI64 said:
Was not comparing but surely a disaster is a disaster not everyone who lives there is loaded
Maybe not everyone - but most, houses are not cheap around there.

Not saying its a party, but I come from there and floods are nothing new - this is just worse than normal. Get house insurance.
 
#5
Worse than normal seems like an understatement
Ok how about the goverment cuts its overseas contributions and spends some cash here rebuilding or does that kind of thinking make me a rascist
 

Alsacien

LE
Moderator
#6
MSI64 said:
Worse than normal seems like an understatement
Ok how about the goverment cuts its overseas contributions and spends some cash here rebuilding or does that kind of thinking make me a rascist
I have a sister and a great aunt underwater with no electric or running water. I own a place less than 5 miles from where Sky News are filming.
House insurance covers this - we always knew it was going to happen as its been getting worse over the last years.
 

Alsacien

LE
Moderator
#8
The_Goon said:
Guess that's a no to cutting foreign aid and spending more in the UK, then? Righto.
Maybe they should spend more on developing other parts of the UK - then people would not feel the need to build houses on postage stamp sized plots on floodplains and any other available land around "nice" towns like Cheltenham/Oxford etc.
 
#9
Completely agree, Alsacien, I for one am completely in support of spending more within the UK to develop areas not considered "nice" to live in. Perhaps a more even spread of population throughout the country could be encouraged, stop people clogging up the south.
 

Alsacien

LE
Moderator
#10
The_Goon said:
Completely agree, Alsacien, I for one am completely in support of spending more within the UK to develop areas not considered "nice" to live in. Perhaps a more even spread of population throughout the country could be encouraged, stop people clogging up the south.
Its a shame that we seem to have a policy of running areas down to the point they qualify for EU development grants..........if I was a cynical man....
 
#11
Well, I have to fight the urge to blame immigrants and martians for our problems, when in reality, the problems can generally be traced all the way back to our own government. Nutters.
 
#12
Does anybody know what the actual figures are for British expenditure on Africa, etc?. Gordon's going to save the world with our money, but I've got a feeling if you're White Native British with water up to your armpits, you might just have sh*t out. Give St Bob or Bono a ring maybe.
 
#13
From here: http://www.bond.org.uk/campaign/aid04/aidparl.htm

In 2002 the UK was the worlds 5th largest donor in volume terms, providing aid worth $4.92 billions.

In 2002, four donors - all G8 members - gave more: the USA ($13.29b), Japan ($9.28b), France $5.49b and Germany ($5.32b). Two G8 donors - Italy and Canada - gave less.

UK aid is currently enjoying a sustained period of growth in volume (up by 93% in real terms since 1997). UK aid is expected to reach 0.40% GNI by 2006, from its lowest ever level of 0.24% in 1999.

Compared to other DAC donors in 2002, the UK was about halfway up the generosity league in terms of aid as a percentage of GNI or national wealth.
Interesting figures. The website in question tries to suggest the UK should do more, but if you compare UK spending to the four ahead of us, and take into account the populations involved, you would notice the UK is, per capita, spending more than the US for sure.
 
#14
Better get used to eating fish then. Shouldn't be too hard to catch them, if they're already in the kitchen.
 
#15
The government have an anti flood plan. Its called covering the south in concrete.
 
#16
Nosher361 said:
Does anybody know what the actual figures are for British expenditure on Africa, etc?. Gordon's going to save the world with our money, but I've got a feeling if you're White Native British with water up to your armpits, you might just have sh*t out. Give St Bob or Bono a ring maybe.
You're forgetting that foreign aid isn't, for the most part, about handouts to Africa. More often than not, government aid comes in the form of trade credits which are then used to buy British goods and services. In other words, the money comes back to the UK.
 

Alsacien

LE
Moderator
#17
The_Goon said:
From here: http://www.bond.org.uk/campaign/aid04/aidparl.htm

In 2002 the UK was the worlds 5th largest donor in volume terms, providing aid worth $4.92 billions.

In 2002, four donors - all G8 members - gave more: the USA ($13.29b), Japan ($9.28b), France $5.49b and Germany ($5.32b). Two G8 donors - Italy and Canada - gave less.

UK aid is currently enjoying a sustained period of growth in volume (up by 93% in real terms since 1997). UK aid is expected to reach 0.40% GNI by 2006, from its lowest ever level of 0.24% in 1999.

Compared to other DAC donors in 2002, the UK was about halfway up the generosity league in terms of aid as a percentage of GNI or national wealth.
Interesting figures. The website in question tries to suggest the UK should do more, but if you compare UK spending to the four ahead of us, and take into account the populations involved, you would notice the UK is, per capita, spending more than the US for sure.
I think the US has a different approach to distributing overseas aid...... :roll:
 
#18
Don't quite get you there, Crabtastic. We give them our money, they buy our goods, our money comes back to us?. My economics education ended at 'O' Level, but it sounds like someone's being mugged here. Who thought that one up, Del Boy Trotter?.

And debts written off already don't enter into it either I suppose. And it doesn't answer the question as to how much British wedge is being syphoned off for the 'deserving' masses abroad, who are no responsibility of the British taxpayer, as compared to how much is being spent on British flood victims right now. Hilary Benn ought to know, though. Which is not the same as saying that he DOES know.

I'd like to know.
 
#19
Nosher, you're quite right. Just because the country has to come back to the UK with these "credits", it does not mean that we don't lose out. Observe!

UK Taxpayer pays tax to Government...

... Government then pays certain amount out as Foreign Aid...

... Foreign country uses aid to buy UK goods...

... Government gets good press, company doesn't lose out...

... But your average taxpayer will have lost out.
 

Alsacien

LE
Moderator
#20
Nosher361 said:
Don't quite get you there, Crabtastic. We give them our money, they buy our goods, our money comes back to us?. My economics education ended at 'O' Level, but it sounds like someone's being mugged here. Who thought that one up, Del Boy Trotter?.

And debts written off already don't enter into it either I suppose. And it doesn't answer the question as to how much British wedge is being syphoned off for the 'deserving' masses abroad, who are no responsibility of the British taxpayer, as compared to how much is being spent on British flood victims right now. Hilary Benn ought to know, though. Which is not the same as saying that he DOES know.

I'd like to know.
Home Economics does not count :D

And as for "British flood victims", most of my pikey relatives are already at MFI choosing new furniture and carpets pending a grossly exaggerated insurance claim....
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
HectortheInspector The Intelligence Cell 18
D The NAAFI Bar 192
D Current Affairs, News and Analysis 2

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top