Flooding - The Blame

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Outstanding, Jul 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If you own a house that is on a flood plain, near a river/stream, below sea level/ water table or has a history of being flooded, should you be suprised when it floods. ?

Are too many people trying to blame anyone but themselves for a sorry situation?

2. I think it depends on the surroundings. Sometimes you can just shake your head at the people that were flooded out and say what were you thinking?

But if you buy a house in a brand new development on some recently paved over rural land it could be very hard to determine without some expensive surveying if the property is susceptible to flooding. Streams and brooks can disappear, the land can be reshaped, the draining system might be crap. In this case should the developer not be be held to blame for not considering flooding and building in defences?

Like I said, depends on the circumstances, long open, flat valley floor view to the river wandering by, expect floods and maybe the insurance premiums would be a hint.

3. Cow

Cow LE

Of course not. A flood plain is there to be flooded. Do people know this/research where their house is when they buy? Can people afford to be picky?

Restoring flood plains and other flood reduction methods can be easily implemented but it would result in a loss of prime real estate.

Wait till Insurance premiums rocket.

4. Spot on Cow (IMHO), and of course it is a licence to print money for insurance companies

5. What pisses me off is that those who weren't insured are demanding the government pick up the tab for repairs and replacements , For government read tax payer , they took a gamble and they lost

6. Cow

Cow LE

Happened in Birmingham when we had a typhoon, local muppets with no insurance demanded that the council foot their repair bills. They said no.

They also complained that the council hadn't repaired the road and local area. It had already been stated that once residential properties had been sorted that this would be done so that work would not need to be done twice. Funny enough, all of them were not English....

7. Is it wrong that I enjoy seeing them on the news? £20 a month for house insurance doesn't seem so expensive now, eh?

8. These will be the same cretins that don't have MOT, Tax or Insurance on their cars which is why we have to pay high Insurance premiums.

9. Taking out insurance is like going to the bookies. They state the odds and you decide whether or not you want to place a bet. When people continually decry insurance companies they don't seem to realise that most of them are using money from pension funds and peoples savings. Were they to be too open handed with pay outs people would find their pensions and savings were de-valued and then would have something else to complain about.

10. Shock horror, not English .. d'ya mean they were Scots, Welsh and Irish, oh my word......

11. One thing it has done is given Michael Fish and David Bellamy a reason to earn appearance fees by spouting doom and gloom about global warming. Not one of them mentioned the fact that these flood plains had flooded because, well, there flood plains. I cant believe the residents are shocked about it. Made me a little mad, so i consoled myself by going and putting 60 litres of unleaded in my 4X4.

One of these people needs to take the stand and explain how the world ended up in an ice age before any fossil fuels were burned at all. What would the occupants of valley's think as they watch glaciers descend the slopes towards them.

If you live below sea level, next to a bloody great river, in the temperate northern hemisphere, insure yourself against flood damage. Simple really isnt it.

12. Cow

Cow LE

It would be good to see if there is a positive side to all this rain we're getting, are the reservoirs filling up? Hopefully if we do get any sort of a summer we won't have any hose pipe bans (unless it all leaks out before it gets to the consumer). Any one live near any and can confirm?

13. For some of them, they didn't have House insurance because they couldn't afford it! £20 a month may not sound like much when you're earning the nataional average wage of £448 per week (http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=285) but on the dole, with only £59.15 per week, you try and find a spare £20 after food, rent, gas, electricty, water.

14. Mt parents lost carpets last mont-the 3rd flood in 30 years in that house. In thier case some fault lies with councils not clearing culverts etc. They are insured and are tough folk (flood drills include opening a bottle of whisky and telling tales of the Blitz that they both lived through). Mostly though they blame the water that falls from the sky.

Sh1t happens and so does rain and just occasionally it is worse than before. Summer of 76 springs to mind

15. Restoring flood plains in the UK can not be easily implemented. Towns and cities in the UK are historically close to water supplies (ie on a flood plain). I would like to see any "easily implemented" plan to reinstate the Thames flood plain around London.

You can see if you at risk from flooding here - Environment Agency Geeknet site