Flogging current kit on eBay

Because they're a legitimate c0ck!

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Now, if it was the PWRR they were selling, I'd know exactly where the culprit was.

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
JustLoitering said:
Is there any legit reason why someone would be selling a PRR on EBay?
Because he's handling stolen goods? They're army property not personal kit. Report him to ebay and the RMP

Bouillabaisse said:
JustLoitering said:
Because he's handling stolen goods? They're army property not personal kit. Report him to ebay and the RMP
Eh?

PRR is a civy radio system you can buy it anywhere. I suppose that some have reached their end of life and have been sold of via defence disposals.

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
No, PRR is a military radio system that you can only buy from Selex and is in service with the armed forces. To date they haven't disposed of any that I know of, as they're current. End of life tends to mean broken, rather than old.

JustLoitering said:
Yes. Its a grey import or its never been MOD property.

Why would anyone buy one privately is the question. Who are you going to talk to on it? AFAIK Encrypted radio nets are only allowed for public bodies under strict rules in the UK to allow GCHQ to monitor them

At least with Clansman, theres plenty of it about in civvy hands and its compatible with civvy systems. Oh, and of course, it works! :lol:

i thought that RMP had a branch that was supposed to monitor ebay and look into this kind of thing?
didn't a very dodgy storeman get into a whole world of hurt about 5 years ago for doing the same thing (selling PRR and it's ancils on ebay)?

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
I've reported a number in the past and I know MOD Plod do take an interest. Its fairly easy to check serial numbers to see if they're British issue and then its into "receiving stolen goods" time.

dam right report em and tell RMP, i seen this at first hand in a radio troop what trouble the seller gets into, trust me ant worth it.

walt_of_the_walts said:
JustLoitering said:
Yes. Its a grey import or its never been MOD property.

Why would anyone buy one privately is the question. Who are you going to talk to on it? AFAIK Encrypted radio nets are only allowed for public bodies under strict rules in the UK to allow GCHQ to monitor them

At least with Clansman, theres plenty of it about in civvy hands and its compatible with civvy systems. Oh, and of course, it works! :lol:
Quite lucky that PRR isn't encrypted then really isn't it? :roll:

Maybe illegal but probably not enforced. Sounds ike a 'bent' Q worker somewhere to me! What say you?

jkfox said:
Maybe illegal but probably not enforced. Sounds ike a 'bent' Q worker somewhere to me! What say you?
Oh its enforced alright. The Radio communications Agency, Blandford and the RMP are pretty busy at the moment WRT to comms kit or pollution of the EM spectrum.

True, there's not very many of them, and most enforcement is of the 'friendly word of warning' type, but its being done.