Floating Airbus

All out- no major injuries reported.

Bloody well done.

Still afloat 40mins after ditching. Not bad at all.

radio 5 confirming no deaths or major injury....but it is finally starting to sink!

wompingwillow said:
radio 5 confirming no deaths or major injury....but it is finally starting to sink!
I suspect Airbus shares are going up though!

P.S. Love the doctor who quote willow - caught my attention at the time as well :)

So maybe cyics like me need to pay closer attention during the landing on water bit of the 'trolley dolly' brief. A great bit of flying hats off to the pilot.

Do my eyes deceive or are most of the people standing on the wings? Where are the big yellow life-rafts that are described in the safety brochure?

Perhaps the airlines didn't believe that landing on water is feasible and saved a few dollars here and there....?

As they say, every landing that you walk away from is a good one.

I'll bet the next Airbus modification will be a tow hook in the nose so that they can be pulled to shore. :)

putteesinmyhands said:
Do my eyes deceive or are most of the people standing on the wings? Where are the big yellow life-rafts that are described in the safety brochure?

Perhaps the airlines didn't believe that landing on water is feasible and saved a few dollars here and there....?
Puttees, the rafts are grey rather than yellow for some reason.

EDIT Damn your alacrity Bob!

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
Dont tell Ryanair. They will make a fortune selling brown trousers as well as the £2.50 cup of coffee.

bobthedog said:
The liferafts are the grey slides that have come out from the front right and left exit, they detach and become rafts.
Grey, huh? Must be the spec ops option. Say no more.

Damned good landing by that pilot...

A Boeing 377 was ditched successfully in the 1950s, IIRC.

And although not an airliner, but derived from one - Flt Lt Art Stacey pulled off the ditching of a Nimrod in the Moray Firth after it caught fire on a test flight. Every simulation done up to that point suggested that it was impossible to ditch a Nimrod - the nose, the boffins said, would smash into the sea with such g-force that it would kill the flight deck crew, while the rear crew would be at serious risk of drowning because the bomb doors would give way and the cabin deck floor would then collapse.

In fact, the crew of the ditched Nimrod walked out along the wings and were picked up by two SAR Sea Kings which were already on a training task nearby, barely getting wet.

EX_STAB said:
Pretty much unheard of for someone to successfully ditch an airliner isn't it?

Good drills!
On may side of the pond I am sure we are getting more coverage of this. One thing of interest is the background of the pilot. Captain Chesley B. "Sully" Sullenberger III of Danville, Calif, has been an airline pilot with US Air since 1980. From 1973 until 1980 he was a USAF pilot flying F-4 Phantoms. Lots of experience in the air. One thing I hear on the news I really liked. After all the passenges were out he walked the length of the plane twice to ensure everyone was out before he left the plane himself.

As to the issue of the slides/rafts it appears that the rear doors could not be opened as they were underwater so only the front slides deployed and all passengers were on wings or the front slides.

Also praise is due a young woman (looked like mid 20's) who was a captain of a ferryboat. As soon as she saw the plane she headed for it, ordered all her crew into life jackets and deployed a "scoop" which is apparently used to haul someone in the water onboard. She said the crew drills all the time in use of the scoop during man overboard drills. She was there before Fire, Police or USCG and rescued 26 of the victims onto her vessel. Good work.

A flight attendant with a badly cut leg was helped by a passenger who is a medical student and was on his way for a job interview. I hope the kid gets the job.

DavidBOC said:
EX_STAB said:
Pretty much unheard of for someone to successfully ditch an airliner isn't it?

Good drills!
On may side of the pond I am sure we are getting more coverage of this. One thing of interest is the background of the pilot. Captain Chesley B. "Sully" Sullenberger III of Danville, Calif, has been an airline pilot with US Air since 1980. From 1973 until 1980 he was a USAF pilot flying F-4 Phantoms. Lots of experience in the air. One thing I hear on the news I really liked. After all the passenges were out he walked the length of the plane twice to ensure everyone was out before he left the plane himself. (edited to add, Captain Sullenberger is 57 and a graduate of the USAF Academy)

As to the issue of the slides/rafts it appears that the rear doors could not be opened as they were underwater so only the front slides deployed and all passengers were on wings or the front slides.

Also praise is due a young woman (looked like mid 20's) who was a captain of a ferryboat. As soon as she saw the plane she headed for it, ordered all her crew into life jackets and deployed a "scoop" which is apparently used to haul someone in the water onboard. She said the crew drills all the time in use of the scoop during man overboard drills. She was there before Fire, Police or USCG and rescued 26 of the victims onto her vessel. Good work.

A flight attendant with a badly cut leg was helped by a passenger who is a medical student and was on his way for a job interview. I hope the kid gets the job.

Awesome. I was there and watched it all, from a few seconds after impact. Not often you see an A320 float past your window. Special mention to the Hudson River ferry crews, who evacuated most or all of the pax before the emergency services had time to get to the scene. Calm and disciplined performance by all involved, and thankfully nobody hurt - or worse.

(tried to attach photo, but file size too large apparently?)

Latest Threads