Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Percussion pistol auction

flintlock.jpeg

A question for any knowlegable armourers out there.
This flintlock is up for auction at the end of the month with no resereve.
I can see no markings on the weapon (this is the only photo I have) It looks crudely made which IMHO means it's either very old or it's a badly made copy.
What do you think it's worth and is it genuine?

Last edited:
The scent bottle contained granules of fulminate and the system was invented by Rev. Forsyth, the first practical percussion lock. Very probably a copy of Forsyth's system due to the workmanship.

ETA: the write up from Rock Island gives much more detail. I have a book on early percussion systems if you need more details.

Spookily, a local antique shop has a double barrelled percussion pistol for sale (non scent bottle) but the grips are very ropey and probably poor replacements.

I don't think the lock is a replica or copy - it'd be highly unusual to reproduce something as intricate as a scent bottle, rather than a plain old flintlock or percussion.

Hard to tell from that one photo, but the screws on the lock seem quite good quality, and the hammer profile is right for the period.

It might be a recycled lock from a pistol or sporting rifle, built into a crude handgun.

This one was listed over on The Saleroom website. Unfortunately I can`t open the link so it may be a past sale item. It was listed as "An English percussion training pistol with forsyth scent bottle lock (14.1cm long)"

pistol.jpg

This one was listed over on The Saleroom website. Unfortunately I can`t open the link so it may be a past sale item. It was listed as "An English percussion training pistol with forsyth scent bottle lock (14.1cm long)"

pistol.jpg
Looks almost identicle to the one I listed.
I have no idea what these things are worth in such condition.

Looks almost identicle to the one I listed.
I have no idea what these things are worth in such condition.
Neither do I. I was hoping the saleroom listing would still be there, but no such luck. If you google "percussion derringer" then lots of similar pistols pop up but without the scent bottle.

Looking at the saleroom stuff, a pistol in this condition seems to be going for around the £50 - £80 mark.
I will keep an eye out for the one I listed and see if I can get it for under £40.

View attachment 685458
A question for any knowlegable armourers out there.
This flintlock is up for auction at the end of the month with no resereve.
I can see no markings on the weapon (this is the only photo I have) It looks crudely made which IMHO means it's either very old or it's a badly made copy.
What do you think it's worth and is it genuine?
A wild Arssed guess here, but could this be an older weapon, possibly originally a flintlock, cut down and converted to percussion cap for use as a pocket pistol? Looking at the stock the flat area on the side is bigger than it needs to be for that lock plate, and it's a very short barrel for a black powder pistol. Just a thought.