Flightradar 24

Something grey & RAF-ish on the apron at BHX.
It’s standing cold. Only got a flash as I went by on the train.
Training sortie. The Trainers’s mum lives in Walsall and his car’s off the road. It’s her birthday this weekend.

Watch, that’ll be Pprune Gospel Truth in 25 minutes.

Training sortie. The Trainers’s mum lives in Walsall and his car’s off the road. It’s her birthday this weekend.

Watch, that’ll be Pprune Gospel Truth in 25 minutes.
That’s nearly as bad as the time I was sent on a NAVEX from UK to Germany because the Sqn QHI “fancied a bit of Kassler”

That’s nearly as bad as the time I was sent on a NAVEX from UK to Germany because the Sqn QHI “fancied a bit of Kassler”
Flying down to the Canaries once and we overtook a Nimrod southbound on a Friday afternoon. Repeated the trip on the Sunday and popped into the Crew Shop for some tabs and bumped into the Nimrod crew busy bundling up several cwt of purchases. It had been an epic weekend by all accounts and they’d been tasked by the Station Commander to sort stocks for the upcoming Mess Ball.

Couldn’t agree more. We used to make good dough on the repeated Duty Free runs, it was seen as a perk. Then the Politics Of Jealousy kicked in and the Fun Police turned up........

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Excuse my off-topicality.

Last week (probably Thursday morning) Zero Alpha and I walked the daily constitutional. As we walked round Five Acres (playing fields on the northern outskirts of Southampton) I clocked an aeroplane flying low. We watched. It wasn't your average airliner out of Eastleigh. It was black, slow and low. She queried whether it was a Chinook, regularly seen passing between Odiham and Marchwood. It clearly wasn't, but it was some distance away and I could understand.

More I looked, more I became convinced it was a Lancaster. As it passed, the twin tails became identifiable. We all know there's only one airworthy Lanc in this country.

So. Questions.

Why would the BoB Lanc be flying westward, low to the north of Southampton (probably using the M27 to navigate)? Bournemouth air show was a week or two previous to this, and there were no accompanying BoB fighters.

Would it have been visible on flightradar? Not that we were in a position to view flightradar live anyway. If so, do we know it's callsign?

Does flightradar keep any sort of history?

Cheers.

Last week (probably Thursday morning) Zero Alpha and I walked the daily constitutional. As we walked round Five Acres (playing fields on the northern outskirts of Southampton) I clocked an aeroplane flying low. We watched. It wasn't your average airliner out of Eastleigh. It was black, slow and low. She queried whether it was a Chinook, regularly seen passing between Odiham and Marchwood. It clearly wasn't, but it was some distance away and I could understand.

More I looked, more I became convinced it was a Lancaster. As it passed, the twin tails became identifiable. We all know there's only one airworthy Lanc in this country.

So. Questions.

Why would the BoB Lanc be flying westward, low to the north of Southampton (probably using the M27 to navigate)? Bournemouth air show was a week or two previous to this, and there were no accompanying BoB fighters.

Would it have been visible on flightradar? Not that we were in a position to view flightradar live anyway. If so, do we know it's callsign?

Cheers.
FlightRadar does keep history for up to seven days for basic members. I think it's ninety days for premium membership.

Usually, the BoB memorial flights (along with usual military) don't appear on FR. You're more likely to find them on ADSB.

I've seen the Hurricane and Spitfire appear on their own before but have never seen the Lancaster appear on there. You're probably right as to what it was and where it was heading though! Lucky git for spotting it.

So. Questions.

Cheers.
The Lanc was doing a round trip of BoB airfields on Saturday on its own, Hornchurch and Hendon being two I know of. No doubt something to do with that.

I have had a similar experience though. I was out running in the cuds near where I live, a C47 Dakota in D Day markings flew right across in front of me at what appeared to be below 1000ft. His direction was neither taking him from or to any particular airport/base/field.

My neighbour came home from Menorca yesterday and snapped the Red Arrows at Mahon.
They've taken a couple of spares on the trip!
RA Mahon.jpg

Messy around Dublin a day or two ago. Wind out of limits for many.

12728552-EA0F-42E2-BC24-D8E8D3C73881.jpeg

So. Questions.

Cheers.
I keep the history I collect from adsbexchange and have plotted the route that the Lancaster took on that day but as it got lower nearer to Southampton it disappeared from the coverage.

Both to and from routes were virtually the same.
PA474.jpg

There's usually a few USAF C130's flitting about over the UK. Some head off to Germany, some back towards the US. I've never seen that number though.

The other day there were a couple of C5 Super Galaxy's heading into Prestwick. They're not too common here.
1537946087859.png

Not many evenings/nights go by when 1 or more of these and other similar Mk's do this route, never very high 10 to 15 K feet and all STRIX c/signs. Sometimes they circle over the green area on the map to the West of Durham where I have seen them as low as 2,500, I guess they are doing some sort of training.

View attachment 354633
The Spooks are up and about this morning, didn't screen shot it but there is another not far behind him.
Did some digging about these 2 c/s(RCH1016 & 1018 as it seemed strange they are detailed as single prop planes plus the height they are at. I ended up on a website called Fighter Control and lo and behold these 2 are actually USAF Special Forces Hercules, the USAF use the RCH c/s to disguise them, their actual c/s are Talon 1 & 2.

Did some digging about these 2 c/s(RCH1016 & 1018 as it seemed strange they are detailed as single prop planes plus the height they are at. I ended up on a website called Fighter Control and lo and behold these 2 are actually USAF Special Forces Hercules, the USAF use the RCH c/s to disguise them, their actual c/s are Talon 1 & 2.
Someone put me on to Fighter Control a bit back and it's a useful source of info when you need it. However the Pilatus has a service ceiling of 30,000ft so if you didn't do some digging, I'd have thought it was as plausible.

Latest Threads