Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flightradar 24

The cost of fuel would probably make the cigs expensive. I don’t buy from Canaries too high a risk of losing the cigs.
Pssst, wanna buy a fuel carnet?

Ritch

LE
I’ll fetch you some cigs back. Oh and if you’re flying get as many silk cut purple as you can carry, I’ll pay for them. Cheers.

Next time I nip abroad I might do that myself. A little earner.

I’ll fetch you some cigs back. Oh and if you’re flying get as many silk cut purple as you can carry, I’ll pay for them. Cheers.
Flying? I remember that.

Vaguely.

Seen a lot of old NATS colleagues and senior managers post on LinkedIn about being made redundant yesterday. Quite an astonishing number, some in the job 20 or 30 years. Obviously no expectation from the directors of having to increase capacity for quite a few years.
On my side I do consultancy. Quite a few contacts came out late last year, early this. All cancelled, couple this year came out and were cancelled. Only thing I'm working on is Qatar who need to get things ready for FIFA2022. Even they have massively scaled things back.

Last edited:
Seen a lot of old NATS colleagues and senior managers post on LinkedIn about being made redundant yesterday. Quite an astonishing number, some in the job 20 or 30 years. Obviously no expectation from the directors of having to increase capacity for quite a few years.
On my side I do consultancy. Quite a few contacts came out late last year, early this. All cancelled, couple this year came out and were cancelled. Only thing I'm working on is Qatar who need to get things ready for FOFA2022. Even they have massively scaled things back.
I dare say you are correct, however, as soon as it is permissible, I will be returning to my old routine of 1 week in 4 in France and customer visits around the world averaging out at one every couple of months. I expect I’ll have less flexibility on routes and fares etc., but that won’t prevent a return to “normal” for me.

BlipDriver

Clanker
On my side I do consultancy. Quite a few contacts came out late last year, early this. All cancelled, couple this year came out and were cancelled. Only thing I'm working on is Qatar who need to get things ready for FIFA2022. Even they have massively scaled things back.
IIRC it was in the region of 400 nationwide (from a workforce of roughly 5000). NATS put out the VR scheme after announcing that the current redundancy agreement will be ending next year, & a new one will be negotiated. The scheme was limited to non-operational staff so effects on capacity will be limited, but probably led to many "office" staff taking it with a disproportionate affect on Hampshire ;)

Many projects have been delayed due to the capacity increase they offer being not currently required, or perhaps for a while - leading to the temporary closure of the college & the end of training for over 100 TATC's.

TBH the sums offered in the redundancy package were too good for anyone in their 50's with 20+ years service to refuse...

IIRC it was in the region of 400 nationwide (from a workforce of roughly 5000). NATS put out the VR scheme after announcing that the current redundancy agreement will be ending next year, & a new one will be negotiated. The scheme was limited to non-operational staff so effects on capacity will be limited, but probably led to many "office" staff taking it with a disproportionate affect on Hampshire ;)

Many projects have been delayed due to the capacity increase they offer being not currently required, or perhaps for a while - leading to the temporary closure of the college & the end of training for over 100 TATC's.

TBH the sums offered in the redundancy package were too good for anyone in their 50's with 20+ years service to refuse...
Lend us a fiver.

When things start normalising, I think I’ll wait for a while before flying again to give you lot a chance to remember where all the buttons and levers are.
Reasonable premise but fails on a technicality. It assumes we knew in the first place.

Nothing lined up for the short term then? Training flights and the like?
Not a bean. Got my Licence and Operator’s Proficiency Checks in the sim over 3 days next week which as I’ve not flown since March is causing me a degree of discomfort in the lower gut. Some clever arse has written the sim programme to kick off with one of the most difficult handling exercises there is, Flight with Unreliable Airspeed. Basically this involves switching all the automation off, degrading the Flight Controls system and failing all Air Speed Indicators.

Nice little warm up.

Not a bean. Got my Licence and Operator’s Proficiency Checks in the sim over 3 days next week which as I’ve not flown since March is causing me a degree of discomfort in the lower gut. Some clever arse has written the sim programme to kick off with one of the most difficult handling exercises there is, Flight with Unreliable Airspeed. Basically this involves switching all the automation off, degrading the Flight Controls system and failing all Air Speed Indicators.

Nice little warm up.
Could be worse, you could have the fast jet pilot's most hated emergency to handle.

A sprained eyelash at 5000ft on climb out on a sunny, windless day.

Ritch

LE

Nice little warm up.

Nothing like chucking you in at the deep end, eh?

Good luck with it though mate!

Not a bean. Got my Licence and Operator’s Proficiency Checks in the sim over 3 days next week which as I’ve not flown since March is causing me a degree of discomfort in the lower gut. Some clever arse has written the sim programme to kick off with one of the most difficult handling exercises there is, Flight with Unreliable Airspeed. Basically this involves switching all the automation off, degrading the Flight Controls system and failing all Air Speed Indicators . . .
If I recall correctly the SOP for the 737MAX, now suggested by Boeing and just approved by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), ". . . involves switching all the automation off". ;) !!

Is there some arms trade show on?

There's a Qatari C-17 on the ground at Stanstead

1607004018276.png

Omani Air force A320 over Essex

1607004049429.png

UAE Air wing/Royal Flight over London

1607004145320.png

1607004162673.png

Ritch

LE

Latest Threads