Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flightradar 24

Ritch

LE
Nah, it was flying a racetrack pattern between Devils Lake and Jamestown...

A bit of digging reveals ND has replaced/upgraded a ground based radar site, maybe an exercise?

Minot has around 150 Minuteman 3's buried around the base, ready for launch. Like you say, could be a launch type exercise.

Ritch

LE
EVIDENCE! Finally. We have proof of giant underground tunnels with this Chinook almost 9000ft below. ;)

20201119_182908.jpg

ZW Clanger

Old-Salt
The US Global Hawk's have a base in Greece.

The NATO ones are based in Sigonella, Sicily.
Quite an interesting look at Larissa on Google maps- no Global Hawks but plenty of other stuff

Quite an interesting look at Larissa on Google maps- no Global Hawks but plenty of other stuff
I wouldn't trust that article. It says that NATO CAOC 7 is in Larissa, neglecting the fact that it, along with its support base, closed about 8 years ago.

Not a bad place though. It's a bit scruffy but the people are nice enough. There is a lot of seemingly random wealthy folk around, even though there doesn't appear to be much in the way of a local economy. Interestingly it has the highest concentration of Porsche Cayennes per head of population in the whole of Europe.

Ritch

LE
By the way, if anyone uses Freedar but finds it a bit of a pain in the arse to find military stuff, there's a separate app here

Seems to be a morning of 'unusuals' going over my house today:

casa.JPG
casa2.JPG

The L39 (a Czech cold war era trainer) is based at Blackpool and does air experience flights. No idea why the finns are flying into Warton, but could be Hawk related as they operate quite a few.

The Finnish 295 has just departed (over my house again). I suspect it was on an urgent parts pick up.

600 knots at 1500 feet? I bet the civilian airliners wish they could do that!
They can.

Not that you’d want to. Very probably terminal in career terms at best, just plain terminal at worst.

I just wonder if it's come out of Sigonella in Italy but only became trackable over Greece?
Looks like it came from around Preveza in Greece which is a joint mil / civi airfield? The mil facilities are fairly extensive.
940B984F-E914-4E39-8E0F-92FD48C96D8E.jpeg

Ritch

LE
Looks like it came from around Preveza in Greece which is a joint mil / civi airfield? The mil facilities are fairly extensive.
View attachment 522953

I'd never even heard of Preveza until the other day. I just thought all stuff from Greece came from Souda Bay - every day is a school day!

Ritch

LE
Possibly Kuwaiti royalty flying over my head in their fancy Gulfstream 650. 45,000ft.

Screenshot_20201123-131612.jpg

Slime

LE
Just checked out Preveza airfield on Google Earth.

It’s heavily pixelated

Are we talking about this airfield?
This one is completely clear on Apple maps.

000578A7-BCAB-456F-83A1-BA35A84B5693.jpeg

I'd never even heard of Preveza until the other day. I just thought all stuff from Greece came from Souda Bay - every day is a school day!
Souda Bay is pretty quiet these days in my experience (civi name Chania).

I was in Crete this summer and the barman’s brother is an F16 jock. It was when tensions with Turkey were ramping up over sub sea mineral rights around Rhodes and they were essentially on a war footing. I hadn’t realised that just down the road from Heraklion is a military base not marked on any chart I’ve seen.

He rang his brother after our chat and 20 mins later a pair of F16s (under licence from the escalating tensions) gave us a fly past worthy of Tom Cruise. I was loving it but fat Brits were ticking about the noise.

Are we talking about this airfield?
This one is completely clear on Apple maps.

View attachment 523000

Yep, that’s the one. Big civi market as most of the sailing flotilla holidays are based there. It could be that the day the above photo was taken there was nothing sneaky there but when the Google photo was taken there was?

Certainly I've seen some heavily guarded US Herc operations there.

Latest Threads