Flightradar 24

A lot of the time, it's out of the range of the FR receivers.
Yep. Couple of hundred miles south of the Canaries and you’re into the aeronautical equivalent of The Dark Continent. Do you know if they use Sal or Boa Vista? I’d think the latter is a bit performance limiting given the propensity for Airbus’ to climb simply by virtue of the earth curving away from beneath them....

Yep. Couple of hundred miles south of the Canaries and you’re into the aeronautical equivalent of The Dark Continent. Do you know if they use Sal or Boa Vista? I’d think the latter is a bit performance limiting given the propensity for Airbus’ to climb simply by virtue of the earth curving away from beneath them....
They use Sal. I remember a while back, a Voyager had gone tits up during a refuelling stop there. Over a hundred squaddies, bound for the Falklands couldn't believe their luck when the MoD booked them into an all-inclusive resort. They got stuck in to the booze big time and ended up having a mass brawl with each other before a few were arrested.

They use Sal. I remember a while back, a Voyager had gone tits up during a refuelling stop there. Over a hundred squaddies, bound for the Falklands couldn't believe their luck when the MoD booked them into an all-inclusive resort. They got stuck in to the booze big time and ended up having a mass brawl with each other before a few were arrested.
Cheers.

With the clientele I’ve seen down there that sounds like a quiet night in.

And flying over it really does make you realise that it’s not a place to go on holiday unless you really don’t ever want to leave your all inclusive beer in tiny plastic glass resort. There’s absolutely nothing there at all except the resorts and a few towns that look as though they exist solely to provide the staff for said resorts.

Something occuring with LS644 from Larnaca to Leeds. It's just landed at the time of me writing this but it's done a fair few circuits.

Screenshot_20180828-013535~2.jpg

This screwed up the approach for another Jet2 flight from Paphos.

Screenshot_20180828-014102~2.jpg

Jet2 aren't having much luck at the minute. Thankfully for me, it didn't start until I got back from Crete with them!

And flying over it really does make you realise that it’s not a place to go on holiday unless you really don’t ever want to leave your all inclusive beer in tiny plastic glass resort. There’s absolutely nothing there at all except the resorts and a few towns that look as though they exist solely to provide the staff for said resorts.
I'll give you feedback later on that, as we're going there in two weeks.....!

There was quite a good programme on Sunday night on Ch4 presented by a disabled ex Bootie (Arthur?) where he flys around Britain in his Piper. He visited a few former & current air bases in Lincolnshire, including Mildenhall & Lakenheath, where he asked ‘Permission to land’ DENIED!
Also featured a taxi & chat about the Lanc Just Jane at East Kirkby.

There was quite a good programme on Sunday night on Ch4 presented by a disabled ex Bootie (Arthur?) where he flys around Britain in his Piper. He visited a few former & current air bases in Lincolnshire, including Mildenhall & Lakenheath, where he asked ‘Permission to land’ DENIED!
I saw that.

I couldn't believe the Yanks let him fly short approach over the runway though.

Arthur Williams ex RM|
Arthur Williams (presenter) - Wikipedia

Or as the SR71 pilot said “Man you haven’t been lost ‘till you’ve been lost at Mach 3”
I think it’s been posted before but somewhere on YouTube is a fantastic talk given by an ex pilot of the Blackbird including the willy waving tale about ATC provided Ground Speed readouts.

Edit, here:
The USN lost.

Also out there somewhere is James May getting a cabbie in one.

Last edited:

Latest Threads