Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flightradar 24

Ritch

LE
I remember seeing some of their product in 96 in Bosnia, it was really clear and high quality. Bearing in mind that was 24 years ago and the releasable version, it makes you wonder what they can really do.

Absolutely. They must be good and be able to compete with drones because they've been near the Crimea and Baltic lately.

Absolutely. They must be good and be able to compete with drones because they've been near the Crimea and Baltic lately.
The fact they’re still flying regularly would support that.

Harking back to what men they had in the 1970’s, they’ll be moving up to Ryan Air because their veins pop on long haul now.
They’ve all been replaced by Eastern Europeans on minimum wage.

Putting the British in British Airways. Last time I flew with them not a single crew member, pilots included, was British.

A bloke I have to work with wearing my other hat is Canadian and lives in Texas. I couldn’t care less now as I’m too old to care but it must be very frustrating for Brit youngsters who can’t get a job.

What are the rules for helos, both mil and civ, for flying in cloud. I heard a chinook yesterday but it was either in or above the clouds.

What are the rules for helos, both mil and civ, for flying in cloud. I heard a chinook yesterday but it was either in or above the clouds.

If the aircraft has the required level of equipment and the crew suitably qualified there is no difference between helicopters and fixed-wing operations.

Mate of mine on exchange with the RAF took off from Odiham in a Wokka and went into cloud at a few hundred feet, next time he saw the ground was in Sarajevo.

If the aircraft has the required level of equipment and the crew suitably qualified there is no difference between helicopters and fixed-wing operations.
Thanks, I’ve never noticed one flying in clouds before and wasn’t sure if there was a blanket rule or if I was just unobservant.

All British military pilots (in current flying practice) hold an instrument rating, and all British military helicopters are fitted for, or have dispensations to allow, flight in IMC.

Mate of mine on exchange with the RAF took off from Odiham in a Wokka and went into cloud at a few hundred feet, next time he saw the ground was in Sarajevo.
Really? What is the operating range for CH47? I would have thought no more than a few hundred miles and you can't AAR in cloud as far as I know.

This could all be complete bolleaux, but I would be very surprised.

Really? What is the operating range for CH47? I would have thought no more than a few hundred miles and you can't AAR in cloud as far as I know.

Pretty sure only the RAF’s Mk3 Chinook (or 5 after refit) can have an AAR probe fitted at all, and these don’t have them, although they do have fat fuel tanks. Even so, it’s a bit of a stretch from Hampshire to Bosnia. Perhaps the mate had lifted from Aviano? Sarajevo to Aviano took about 20 minutes in a Herc, so maybe 40 minutes in a Wokka?

Ritch

LE
They’ve all been replaced by Eastern Europeans on minimum wage.

Putting the British in British Airways. Last time I flew with them not a single crew member, pilots included, was British.

A bloke I have to work with wearing my other hat is Canadian and lives in Texas. I couldn’t care less now as I’m too old to care but it must be very frustrating for Brit youngsters who can’t get a job.
When I last flew with BA, both pilots were either US or Canadian.

Speaking of the youngsters, I felt really gutted for some of the easyJet lot.

They'd been taken on by the firm, with some paying out up to £120,000 of loan or parents money for a licence with the definite promise of a job at the end of it only to get an email from management saying all bets were off, the youngsters were being fired and no money would be refunded.

Yes I was thinking about that as I was typing so I checked the distance, 885nm which could be doable with the internal auxiliary tanks in the cabin.

I didn’t have him down as a bullsh1tter but who knows...

Yes I was thinking about that as I was typing so I checked the distance, 885nm which could be doable with the internal auxiliary tanks in the cabin.

I didn’t have him down as a bullsh1tter but who knows...
On that basis it is doable, if you fly in a completely straight line, using the most efficient flight profile, in perfect conditions and land on fumes.

On that basis it is doable, if you fly in a completely straight line, using the most efficient flight profile, in perfect conditions and land on fumes.

Nah, if it was an IFR flight he would have to have carried reserves. Perhaps bullsh1t then.

Maybe he got infected by close proximity to bri-nylon and Farah stay-pressed. The RAF can do that...

Ritch

LE
Nah, if it was an IFR flight he would have to have carried reserves. Perhaps bullsh1t then.

Maybe he got infected by close proximity to bri-nylon and Farah stay-pressed. The RAF can do that...

Are you sure he's in the RAF at all and not just a road sweeper?

Latest Threads