Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flightradar 24

Bob Upndown

War Hero
I didn't realise until the other week how much second hand engines changed hands for.

A second hand 777 engine can fetch $20m

So a LOT more than the scrap value of the airframe. No wonder they’re spirited away as soon as they’re shut down. In fact isn’t it the case that the majority of systems and avionics that can be stripped out and sold onto the world spares market so parts of those aircraft will continue to fly for some years...just no longer in formation ;)

So a LOT more than the scrap value of the airframe. No wonder they’re spirited away as soon as they’re shut down. In fact isn’t it the case that the majority of systems and avionics that can be stripped out and sold onto the world spares market so parts of those aircraft will continue to fly for some years...just no longer in formation ;)
There was a series on the idiot lantern recently (ish) where a company at St Athan stripped down and sold on aircraft and their bits. Often the engines and other crucial pieces (like thrust reverse buckets) were sold before the aircraft even arrived to be stripped down. Mainly the airframes were crunched by a digger, although there was a company that made bars and other furniture products out of the airframes. One offshoot was that all the spares had to be boxed up, all bespoke boxes and carefully done so nothing was damaged, lots of carpentry type work.

Ritch

LE

Oh yeah. Even the avionic screens can be sold for $30,000 per screen! It's ridiculous money. Something like £2.5bn worth of parts arrive on the market each year.

Ritch

LE
There was a series on the idiot lantern recently (ish) where a company at St Athan stripped down and sold on aircraft and their bits. Often the engines and other crucial pieces (like thrust reverse buckets) were sold before the aircraft even arrived to be stripped down. Mainly the airframes were crunched by a digger, although there was a company that made bars and other furniture products out of the airframes. One offshoot was that all the spares had to be boxed up, all bespoke boxes and carefully done so nothing was damaged, lots of carpentry type work.

One of the 747 pilots that flew the last one into Kemble has ordered a window taken from the aircraft to be made into a clock.

Each to their own.

One of the 747 pilots that flew the last one into Kemble has ordered a window taken from the aircraft to be made into a clock.

Each to their own.
What happens to the young(er) stewardesses, when the aircraft cease flying . . . ?! ;) .

Ritch

LE
What happens to the young(er) stewardesses, when the aircraft cease flying . . . ?! ;) .

Well whenever I flew on the 747, all the crew were basically over 50 and had a very thick trowel-full of make up on to cover the imperfections. You're welcome to them ;)

Well whenever I flew on the 747, all the crew were basically over 50 and had a very thick trowel-full of make up on to cover the imperfections. You're welcome to them ;)
And that's just the blokes.

FB_IMG_1603179161732.jpg

Here’s one just for you then...

An American commercial aircraft - AA219 - was en-route from Germany to USA when he gave the following reply when asked by ATC for his position.

AA219: “Overhead STABBS sir”

ATC: “Say again?”

AA219: “We’re overhead STABBS sir”

ATC: “Ah, that’s actually Saint Abbs, sir”

AA219: “OK, got it. Saint Abbs“

ATC: “Correct. What will be your next turning point?”

AA219: “Ah, standby sir”

AA219: “London, AA219”

ATC: “219 go ahead”

AA219: “219 next turning point will be Saint Ornaway”

Bob Upndown

War Hero

VS used to have a codeshare over the pond with Delta meaning the crew on board represented both airlines. DL crewing seemed to provide the most elderly, crustiest, meanest matrons they had available whilst VS crewing provided the most delectable, sweetest (and I mean that in mannerisms as well as looks), lovely crew.

When travelling in J (is there anywhere else??!!), it was an experience to be greeted aboard by my Granny (who'd been dead a good 5 years around then) and barked into my seat, then served my champagne by aforementioned VS crew...something tells me Richard was playing the game when it came to marketing VS over DL.

Ritch

LE
VS used to have a codeshare over the pond with Delta meaning the crew on board represented both airlines. DL crewing seemed to provide the most elderly, crustiest, meanest matrons they had available whilst VS crewing provided the most delectable, sweetest (and I mean that in mannerisms as well as looks), lovely crew.

When travelling in J (is there anywhere else??!!), it was an experience to be greeted aboard by my Granny (who'd been dead a good 5 years around then) and barked into my seat, then served my champagne by aforementioned VS crew...something tells me Richard was playing the game when it came to marketing VS over DL.

I think the US airlines (along with BA) award their long haul routes to cabin crew who are senior and have been with the company the longest - that's why they're all ancient.

On a separate note, I've just been told that it's apparently World Air Traffic Controller day. Christ, what next?

On a separate note, I've just been told that it's apparently World Air Traffic Controller day. Christ, what next?
No need to thank us for our service. Peasant!

Ritch

LE
With a U2? All of them including type, number names and gender of occupants, engine serial number and what the helmsman had for dinner.
I recall reading that even from 70,000ft the quality of recon shots was amazing.

Latest Threads