Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flightradar 24

homeworker

War Hero
During the Kosovo conflict in '99, I spent three weeks in S. Cerney on an exercise. We used to see and (Really) hear the B-1s and B-52s flying out of Fairford a few times per day, but never saw or heard a B-2.
It is only relatively recently that the facilities at Fairford were upgraded to allow B-2 to operate out of there, pre-upgrade they used to go out of Whitman in the states.

It is only relatively recently that the facilities at Fairford were upgraded to allow B-2 to operate out of there, pre-upgrade they used to go out of Whitman in the states.
Define 'relatively recently'? They were there in '09.

Ritch

LE
I can't be certain but I remember a story in the local press about the upgrade and the new hanger for maintenance on the B-2 skin. It may be before 2009 but I cannot be definite

I think the upgrade was to make the hangars climate controlled as the B2 has to be stored in a certain environment.

Ritch

LE
Battle of Britain Memorial Lancaster just flew overhead. By the time I dragged my body outside, it had flown out of view. What a beautiful sound though.

Screenshot_20200928-134642_Flightradar24.jpg

Am I the only Arrser to have encounterd the mysterious outages of air activity tracking apps that precisely coincided with Azerbaijani (and possibly Turkish) air activity over Armenia and Armenian-held areas that kicked off yesterday?

You live in Dungworth? ;)

Re B52s. ISTR reading somewhere there’s every chance they’ll hit a century in service?

This, the Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter entered RAF service in 1918. Not too many of these still bombing Arab tribesmen, technology moves on, the task doesn’t seem to.

297BB780-D45D-4669-B230-68BE7B7A8760.jpeg

ZW Clanger

Old-Salt
I was just looking at Google Maps satellite image of Barksdale AFB given the references recently to the B52s.

spotted that they have a Vulcan on display there next to some aged other frames.

Am I the only Arrser to have encounterd the mysterious outages of air activity tracking apps that precisely coincided with Azerbaijani (and possibly Turkish) air activity over Armenia and Armenian-held areas that kicked off yesterday?
I hadn't noticed anything, sorry.

I can't be certain but I remember a story in the local press about the upgrade and the new hanger for maintenance on the B-2 skin. It may be before 2009 but I cannot be definite
ISTR the first B2 deployment in the new hangars was 05. There was a 'rub' south side that had been there for a few years previously to enable deployment of a single a/c.

Le_addeur_noir

On ROPS
On ROPs
ISTR the first B2 deployment in the new hangars was 05. There was a 'rub' south side that had been there for a few years previously to enable deployment of a single a/c.

The 'rub' is still there, and it was used last year when 3 B-2s arrived on Bank Holiday Monday in August.

I thought as much, I was tasked to do a job at the airfield in '08 and '09. I was surprised by how many ex-USAF people were still living in the area and still working at the airfield.

Eight US tankers up at the same time over the North Sea. Exercise Wolff Pack.

View attachment 508247
Small. In Qatar right now they're launching 70-80 KC135 per day from Al Udaid. Most come back having not given any fuel away. Got to dump it because they're too heavy to land.

Latest Threads