Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flightradar 24

During the Kosovo conflict in '99, I spent three weeks in S. Cerney on an exercise. We used to see and (Really) hear the B-1s and B-52s flying out of Fairford a few times per day, but never saw or heard a B-2.
They're very stealthy :)

For all those mini wars, from the Balkans onwards, B1, B2 and B52 flew out of Fairford.
At the time l hadn't realized they were operating from here, but was aware of nightly jet noise (Thames Estuary). I put the pieces together after a while, 'cos I'm quick, me.

At the time l hadn't realized they were operating from here, but was aware of nightly jet noise (Thames Estuary). I put the pieces together after a while, 'cos I'm quick, me.
Generally took off in the morning, back late at night sounding absolutely knucking fackered!

That is a lot of big aircraft in a smallish area.

3x B-52s, 2x AWACS and 4x tankers.

big crates.png

They're big airframes.
Meh!
Had 2 x KC135's on the West coast of Scotland, both heading Stateside. One a long way behind the other but catching up to refuel. Got one at FL250, the trail at FL240, eventually 15 miles apart and I asked the trail if he was visual, traffic was 12 o'clock, 15NM 1000' above? 'Negative sir'. Called again 10NM apart 'Negative sir' WTF?? Penny dropped, trail aircraft what are your flight conditions? 'India Mike sir' FML! Descend to report VMC and report your level, broke out at 150, sent him down to 140 and sent the lead down to 150. Strangely they got MARSA pretty quickly while I banged my head off of the desk!

That is a lot of big aircraft in a smallish area.

3x B-52s, 2x AWACS and 4x tankers.

View attachment 507144
Look at this. 2x B52, an AWACS and a tanker flying formation over eastern Poland. Same altitude with little separation. All looks a bit white knuckle to me.

View attachment 507190
Is all this normal "posturing", or merely "added goodness" from NATO . . . specifically for the benefit of Belarus's Lukashenko(?) . . . ?! ;) .

Last edited:

Ritch

LE
Is all this normal "posturing", or merely "added goodness" from NATO . . . specifically for the benefit of Poland's Lukashenko(?) . . . ?! ;) .

Well I don't know about Poland's but it might be for Belarus' President. :p

Ritch

LE
All three B52's back over England inbound for Fairford.

Screenshot_20200925-161837.jpg

Old-Salt
Air Force 1 (92-9000) is currently flying down the east coast of Florida. Friday afternoon so probably off to Mara Lago golf course for the weekend.

Air Force 1 (92-9000) is currently flying down the east coast of Florida. Friday afternoon so probably off to Mara Lago golf course for the weekend.
I'll open this one up. What's his handicap?

Ritch

LE
Two B52's still holding for Fairford. The first declared an emergency upon landing.

Two B52's still holding for Fairford. The first declared an emergency upon landing.
The two that were holding over Gloucester moved out of his way while he was still 50 odd miles out. I thought that was odd. Rather than risk a blocked runway immediately after a possible incident on landing (Resulting in a divert for the other two), wouldn't it be smarter to get the others in and parked up before the risky approach? There was plenty of time.

Ritch

LE
The two that were holding over Gloucester moved out of his way while he was still 50 odd miles out. I thought that was odd. Rather than risk a blocked runway immediately after a possible incident on landing (Resulting in a divert for the other two), wouldn't it be smarter to get the others in and parked up before the risky approach? There was plenty of time.

Well according to Twitter, something was up at Fairford and the runaways were shut until 1700. The two holding were waiting for the go ahead but then the last had to come charging in.

One of the others holding is now squawking 7700.