Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flightradar 24

Anyone know if the Army Parachute Centre Cessna should show up oh Flight Radar etc, as it just flew over our village but I could not get anything. It also chucked out a couple of “streamers” before legging it any idea what they were doing.?
I seem to recall there's a standard squawk for parachuting aircraft, there's no reason why it shouldn't show on radar apps.

I seem to recall there's a standard squawk for parachuting aircraft, there's no reason why it shouldn't show on radar apps.
As I say interesting, could not locate it on any app unless there is a substantial delay, I was trying for about 5 mins app running with the ac in sight. Of course it may not have been the ParachuteCentre ac but sure looked like it.

Any idea about the streamers?

Any idea about the streamers?
As @BlipDriver says they release them prior to a drop to help the parachutists establish the wind direction and strength.

To release anything else from an aircraft is illegal unless covered by military dispensation.

Nigerians in undercarriage bays notwithstanding.

BlipDriver

Swinger
The Army Parachute Centre at Netheravon has sometimes caused fun for air traffic. Just to the north of their area & the Salisbury Plain area is one of the main routes for London bound traffic, marked P2 on this map excerpt:
Screenshot 2020-09-20 010235.jpg

If they or anyone drift too far north it can cause...concern. When Redlands to the north was in operation it was even more fun.

The Army Parachute Centre at Netheravon has sometimes caused fun for air traffic. Just to the north of their area & the Salisbury Plain area is one of the main routes for London bound traffic, marked P2 on this map excerpt:
View attachment 505747
If they or anyone drift too far north it can cause...concern. When Redlands to the north was in operation it was even more fun.
We controlled the Weston On The Green droppers at LJAO, could prove interesting when they wanted a higher level against traffic descending into London.

Old-Salt
When you do a first pass over the area before you drop the students the pilot does a practice run and throttles back for a drop on the proposed line into the wind from the weather forecast and the dispatcher drops the streamer on the centre line. The landing spot of the streamer is noted and corrections made for angle and distance by the pilot, the aircraft then comes round the next time and drops the students on the corrected course and distance.
That is how it works in theory. One drop I did many decades ago, I was first out on the corrected run. Silly boy had done the corrections in the wrong direction and had doubled the error. I was miles away and had a long walk home carrying chute!!

Nigerians in undercarriage bays notwithstanding.

Unless you fly 737s for TNT in which case leaving the official contents of undercarriage bays is also acceptable:

Unless you fly 737s for TNT in which case leaving the official contents of undercarriage bays is also acceptable:

@Toastie
I'm not sure if I've missed owt, if so my apologies.
Are you actually getting airborne?

I seem to remember you mentioned a training/ update sim day a couple of weeks ago.
I recall you mentioning your company was minded to rotate flight crews to try and keep everyone current, ensuring everyone got a small amount of flight time.

Thanks for the posts explaining the streamers from parachute aircraft, they must have decided that the weather conditions were not suitable for humans to jump as they legged it back towards Netheravon without further ado.

@Toastie
I'm not sure if I've missed owt, if so my apologies.
Are you actually getting airborne?

I seem to remember you mentioned a training/ update sim day a couple of weeks ago.
I recall you mentioning your company was minded to rotate flight crews to try and keep everyone current, ensuring everyone got a small amount of flight time.

Im just about to go out of check again (3 landings in 90 days) so it’ll be another drag down to Gatwick from Manchester, couple of hours in the sim and back again, all in one day. Zzzzzzzzz.

The rotating crews bit is just about to start, each crew will come off furlough, do 3 out and backs then get furloughed again, hopefully rotating back again within 90 days. It’s all getting very tedious.

The up side is the 3 trips will probably be short haul so it makes for a (comparatively) more interesting day but sadly chins off the beers watching the sun go down over the Caribbean.

I‘m just happy to still have a job if I’m honest....

Im just about to go out of check again (3 landings in 90 days) so it’ll be another drag down to Gatwick from Manchester, couple of hours in the sim and back again, all in one day. Zzzzzzzzz.

The rotating crews bit is just about to start, each crew will come off furlough, do 3 out and backs then get furloughed again, hopefully rotating back again within 90 days. It’s all getting very tedious.

The up side is the 3 trips will probably be short haul so it makes for a (comparatively) more interesting day but sadly chins off the beers watching the sun go down over the Caribbean.

I‘m just happy to still have a job if I’m honest....
Forgive me for asking too many questions,
If you're flying short haul (737's?)
How does that affect your 'type rating'
Is that the correct term for your regular 787 steed ?

Ritch

LE
Forgive me for asking too many questions,
If you're flying short haul (737's?)
How does that affect your 'type rating'
Is that the correct term for your regular 787 steed ?

@Toastie will be doing short haul in the 787 as that is his current type.

@Toastie will be doing short haul in the 787 as that is his current type.

This.

The 787’s natural environment is LH as it offers exceptional fuel efficiency and range coupled with a great passenger experience which does a lot to reduce jet lag etc.

It is however equally at home on SH runs, particularly high density ones where it can lift almost double what the 737 can (345 -v- 189 pax). The main limitation of it is it’s size so smaller airports can’t accommodate it on ramps, Corfu bring an example. It has good take off and landing performance so runway length isn’t too much of an issue but narrow and / or twisty taxiways can be an issue as it’s +/- 200’x200’.

As an aside, it’s lift capacity is also a real boon in the lucrative cargo market. We have pretty much cornered this with regard to tropical fruit back from the Caribbean and things like marine engineering spares outbound. 10 tons in the hold isn’t unusual and in fact with fruit, being comparatively light, we tend to run out of space before we run out of weight lifting capacity. Because we don’t just operate to London we can get a shipping part made in Sheffield out of Doncaster within hours and on the beach the same day for a buggered and very expensive ship sat idle in the Caribbean, Mexico etc. Ditto fruit back without expensive and time consuming transfers of time sensitive produce through London.

Our busy LH season is winter, primarily to the Caribbean but increasingly to the Far East too. A lot of this is servicing our in house cruise line so it’s not unusual to have 6 or more 787’s in Barbados in the space of an hour or so on a given day as the pax change over, servicing the whole of the U.K. That’s pretty much the USP we have over BA and Virgin, you can fly to the Caribbean from your local regional airport without having to traipse down to London. IIRC we operate LH out of 13 U.K. airports.

We also do a lot of stuff out of Scandinavia in winter. If I was stuck in months of freezing conditions and minimum daylight I’d want a bit of sun on my back too. Scandinavian summers are apparently a delight so for them, the holiday season is winter. Our SH guys do a lot of ski stuff over winter and we also redeploy SH aircraft and crews to Canada as Canada is very similar to Scandinavia, and the Caribbean from Canada is equivalent to U.K.- Canaries.

Its a bit quieter in summer on LH ex U.K. so about 20% of the fleet gets Premium Class seating taken out and replaced with extra seating to run SH ops; keeps aircraft and crews busy. The US, Orlando in particular, is now all but dead.

And then Covid happened.

Latest Threads