Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flightradar 24

Fire4effect

Old-Salt
Shackletons and Nimrods are long gone.

Sadly yes, but isn’t this the equivalent having an HGV go and fetch a pint of milk from the corner shop? If it’s all that was on hand maybe but by choice? Then again I spent the bulk of my service digging holes around northern Germany and elsewhere so what do I know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Border Force have a couple of drones which they're already using.
I did wonder if Sentinel might be a better frame for the task but it can't fly as slow as the Atlas can.

Perhaps part of the intention is for the plane to be seen as much as for it to see.

FB_IMG_1597078436960.jpg

Ritch

LE
May be - I have a feeling that Northolt had something there.

Just read that 651 Squadron that uses them is based in Aldergrove in NI and only has the use of one Islander at the minute. The rest and the Defenders are in long term storage.

Just read that 651 Squadron that uses them is based in Aldergrove in NI and only has the use of one Islander at the minute. The rest and the Defenders are in long term storage.
I'm not sure if that's correct any more. As I understand it all the Army's fixed wing assets have gone to the RAF.

Ritch

LE
I'm not sure if that's correct any more. As I understand it all the Army's fixed wing assets have gone to the RAF.

Aye but although they've been transferred to RAF, their location isn't going to change according to Janes.

Aye but although they've been transferred to RAF, their location isn't going to change according to Janes.

Yep. Still see the odd Islander over here in Norn Iron in the last couple of months, once over Belfast and once over the north coast not far from Bushmills. Both times appeared to be operating at about 1000’ doing a linear survey. Far too low for sneaky-beaky.

Ritch

LE
No A400 for the channel today but Sky news G-UKTV were out earlier.

The Coastguard launched one of their Pipers from Doncaster in the early hours and it spend a few hours spanning the channel. It has thermal cameras on board. G-SCIR

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
I did think that. Its been flying as low as 750ft in the circuit so it'll be impossible to miss!

If it is flying even lower over the Channel is it possible that very small craft crossing the Channel might be swamped?

Ritch

LE
If it is flying even lower over the Channel is it possible that very small craft crossing the Channel might be swamped?

I can't see that unless it flew ten feet above a tiny dinghy.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
I had a four ship of F15E fly over me in Patterdale yesterday lunch time!

Sitting there having a pint listening to dads tell their sons all about them,