Flightradar 24

He has a fleet of helicopters, often used to take him and his entourage to the many and various funerals for the large number of 'royals' in the Middle East. Don't think I ever seen just one flying, usually at least 6. If I remember correctly he has 3 in Scotland for taking them all to his 63,000 acre country retreat in Wester Ross. Not sure if they're his or just on retainer from a big company.
A former squadron mate flew for the family, particularly for their trips to Scotland. Said they were good to work for and very well paid

A former squadron mate flew for the family, particularly for their trips to Scotland. Said they were good to work for and very well paid
I’m told you do something like 28 days on, 14 off, well paid and good accommodation etc but your 28 on you are essentially on 10 minutes notice to move 24/7. “Wife‘s got a doctors appointment, kids need picking up from school, unlucky”

Not sure if the teller was embellishing the story a bit but it sounded plausible. He gets a call, “Prince X, London, now”.

Get to London, various vans bring back the shopping, Prince X due back hours ago but MIA. Turns up pissed, slappers in tow, destination changes from Paris, now New York, a good bar there apparently. Rinse and repeat.

End of his 28 days, the originally planned 3 day jaunt now well into week 2, new crew arrives, “here’s your first class ticket back, we‘ll take it from here”.

I’m told you do something like 28 days on, 14 off, well paid and good accommodation etc but your 28 on you are essentially on 10 minutes notice to move 24/7. “Wife‘s got a doctors appointment, kids need picking up from school, unlucky”

Not sure if the teller was embellishing the story a bit but it sounded plausible. He gets a call, “Prince X, London, now”.

Get to London, various vans bring back the shopping, Prince X due back hours ago but MIA. Turns up pissed, slappers in tow, destination changes from Paris, now New York, a good bar there apparently. Rinse and repeat.

End of his 28 days, the originally planned 3 day jaunt now well into week 2, new crew arrives, “here’s your first class ticket back, we‘ll take it from here”.
Bit like a BBK standby.

Without the first class ticket bit!

Edit: He’s probably retired now. I’ve just remembered we were chatting about pensions and he was on something like one thirtieth final salary for each years service. He would have done around 25 years.

Last edited:

My mate's done it, and you have it exactly right. It's the same for many VVRP (Very Very Rich People); six months into one contract he found himself chaufering and waiting-on at functions too, unsurprisingly he jacked that knobber in pretty damn quick.

BlipDriver

Swinger

I was told a story once about how a group from the same part of the world returned to Farnborough too late to make the curfew. On being told this two phone calls were made, a car turned up and they left. The story carried on that the car took them to Heathrow where the 5 of them boarded a chartered 747 to take them home, & their bizjet followed them the next day. The story was told by an area atco who knew the tower staff.

My mate's done it, and you have it exactly right. It's the same for many VVRP (Very Very Rich People); six months into one contract he found himself chaufering and waiting-on at functions too, unsurprisingly he jacked that knobber in pretty damn quick.
I've heard similar stories from various bods who've done gigs with the Amiri Flight. The FA factor seems to be (though not necessarily actually is) down to how far up the support food chain you are. It truly is a La La Land existence.

Yeh I had a mate who took a corporate job which on paper looked like a dream. A109 full IFR, car, credit card the lot. Lasted six months, finally jacked it when he was called in to wash the bosses car!

One of the pilots in Aberdeen decided to do a bit of moonlighting during a couple of weeks leave and got a weeks work driving a visiting Argentinian polo team around the south of England in an S76 VVIP model - hi spec, single pilot. He said it was a nightmare and not worth the considerable amount he was paid. They were ignorant, self important and totally uninterested in any of the complications inherent in lobbing into various airports/fields at short/no notice.

Ritch

LE
There's at Atlas up providing support to Border Force over the Channel.

20200810_103233.jpg

Ritch

LE
Have we not got an airframe more suited to that task?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Border Force have a couple of drones which they're already using.
I did wonder if Sentinel might be a better frame for the task but it can't fly as slow as the Atlas can.

Ritch

LE
I would have thought an Islander or Defender may be better suited
Aren't they all based in N. Ireland?

Might be that the Atlas was the only thing that could be rustled up at short notice.

Latest Threads