Flightradar 24

Ritch

LE
Supermarine Spitfire returning back to base after performing a flypast at Dame Vera Lynn's funeral.

Screenshot_20200710-121417.jpg

Supermarine Spitfire returning back to base after performing a flypast at Dame Vera Lynn's funeral.

View attachment 488571
On the basis that there is no such thing as a stupid question, here goes.

The description of the Spitfire says Species with Landplane underneath it.

What does Landplane mean?

I assume it doesn't mean the glaringly obvious (i.e the opposite of Seaplane).

Ritch

LE

It means exactly that. :)

R0B

War Hero

It's just a number to identify what the transponder is attached to:

None = 0,
LandPlane = 1,
SeaPlane = 2,
Amphibian = 3,
Helicopter = 4,
Gyrocopter = 5,
Tiltwing = 6,
GroundVehicle = 7,
Tower = 8,

There are now quite a lot of towers and ground vehicles that show up around airfields.

homeworker

War Hero
It's just a number to identify what the transponder is attached to:

None = 0,
LandPlane = 1,
SeaPlane = 2,
Amphibian = 3,
Helicopter = 4,
Gyrocopter = 5,
Tiltwing = 6,
GroundVehicle = 7,
Tower = 8,

There are now quite a lot of towers and ground vehicles that show up around airfields.
Heathrow has a fair few ground vehicles that show up on the App (and a couple now and again at east midlands).

Old-Salt
Tower = 8,

I notice that occasionally these towers are shown at about 50,000 feet - which I assume is a glitch with the data?

R0B

War Hero
I notice that occasionally these towers are shown at about 50,000 feet - which I assume is a glitch with the data?
I should have made it clearer that the transponder doesn't send the species but freedar/adsbexchange/others... have a field in their database to set it from the hex code.

It must be a new thing to put transponders on everything which is why the databases haven't got the correct species set most of the time.

I can't remember where I read it but I thought that some non-aircraft things had to be set at < -300ft or > 62,000ft.

I'm at present trying to work out which are ground vehicles and which are towers by calculating how far they move in a day.

It must be a new thing to put transponders on everything which is why the databases haven't got the correct species set most of the time.
It's all a part of A-CDM (Airport - Collaborative Decision Making). Previously ATC only had an EOBT (Estimatee Off Block Time) but there are so many processes involved in getting an aircraft ready that they were rarely accurate. Airline Ops had issues trying to update it because they didn't know where the perfume wagon was, the catering wagon, luggage, refueller, SLF etc. Now they can see where all these things are, the transponder is picked up by the SMR (Surface Movement Radar) and MLAT (Multi Lateration). This enables them to give more accurate times to ATC who will issue a TSAT ( Target Start Approval Time). The benefits are that you don't get 12 aircraft calling for start and push at the same time, it reduces queuing, it helps cut pollution as aircraft aren't sat at the gate engines turning and burning for so long.

ZW Clanger

Old-Salt
Off to Cwm-Cewydd, near Machynlleth on Monday for a break...coming from Brum we don’t see much mil traffic aside from the odd Wokka and C-17.
Am I going to a spot where I’m likely to see any Mach Loop participants?
Cheers

Off to Cwm-Cewydd, near Machynlleth on Monday for a break...coming from Brum we don’t see much mil traffic aside from the odd Wokka and C-17.
Cheers
Not on a weekend old chap!

Monday is the weekend? Long suspected to be the RAF position by soldiers but I hadn’t previously heard it confirmed by a crab! ;)
Thursday evening to Tuesday morning, first thing 0900 o'clock hours.

ZW Clanger

Old-Salt
Lol no I’m going Monday to Friday so working week...well Monday to Thursday with tiffin and lunch breaks obviously.
But location/question remains...is it a spot for seeing such beasties?

Cheers
You might, but probably not. You're outside the Loop there, by quite a bit. You'll need to move quite a few miles further west.

Thanks mate - I’ll no doubt get out that way... was just thinking that I may have seen a few on the approach to the loop. Oh well.
It's possible, but they generally tend to enter the Loop from the south, west and north due to the proximity of LFA9 to the east.

If you have a look at one of the spotter websites they list the best locations to catch a good sighting.

Old-Salt
I should have made it clearer that the transponder doesn't send the species but freedar/adsbexchange/others... have a field in their database to set it from the hex code.

I can't remember where I read it but I thought that some non-aircraft things had to be set at < -300ft or > 62,000ft.

I'm at present trying to work out which are ground vehicles and which are towers by calculating how far they move in a day.
There is a tower just north of Munich at the moment at 62,700ft.

IMG-20200711-WA0001.jpg

Latest Threads