Flightradar 24

@Toastie

What are your favourite / worst destinations...and why?
What are your observations of the demographs who go to those?

If you can take the time to answer.

Ta!

Ritch

LE
correct

short term pain for long term collective good
Ah, I'm sure that will be a great comfort to the thousands of people losing their jobs then.

Ah, I'm sure that will be a great comfort to the thousands of people losing their jobs then.
Both points have merit, though the damage a resurgence of the virus could do could be worse than any could imagine.

It's a tough situation indeed.

Ritch

LE
Both points have merit, though the damage a resurgence of the virus could do could be worse than any could imagine.

It's a tough situation indeed.
My post wasn't referring my pleasure to seeing passengers fly again, just that its good to see the skies busy again - the airline industry's employees have had a absolute crap few months and the future isn't rosy.

My post wasn't referring my pleasure to seeing passengers fly again, just that its good to see the skies busy again - the airline industry's employees have had a absolute crap few months and the future isn't rosy.
I know mate. I was merely identifying the points you both made being related to the balance of keeping the second wave of infections down vs preventing the collapse of the travel industry. It's a tricky one. I just hope that in trying to do both we haven't opened a door to something terrible.

I've been on the receiving end of redundancy so aircrew also have my sympathies.

Ritch

LE
I know mate. I was merely identifying the points you both made being related to the balance of keeping the second wave of infections down vs preventing the collapse of the travel industry. It's a tricky one. I just hope that in trying to do both we haven't opened a door to something terrible.

I've been on the receiving end of redundancy so aircrew also have my sympathies.
I only heard last week that Jet2 are cutting 100+ pilots that they recently hired after Thomas Cook collapsed. An absolute shìt-show for them.

Friend of mine drives 787s for Virgin and this weekend took medical supplies to Jo’burg and brought fruit/veg back. He’s off to China sometime this week for PPE. Likes flying freight for a change.

What I suspect is your outfit, was my first job when I left the mob nearly 21 years ago. Back then it had a more “patriotic” name and livery.
Parked up at my base is the last 75 we took delivery of. Stopped me in my tracks: I remember it practically new. I still use the type rating to this day (or did....)
Happy days, good company. Very few left like it now.
Waiting for the hammer to fall here and it’s not looking good.
Best of luck.

Sent from my Phone
you too and yes, the Lady In The Wheelchair. What a great place that was. Times have changed but still not a bad place to be. -AX?

correct

short term pain for long term collective good
Problem is, that short term is likely to be indefinite going on permanent for a lot of people’s employment prospects.

@Toastie

What are your favourite / worst destinations...and why?
What are your observations of the demographs who go to those?

If you can take the time to answer.

Ta!
Favourite is Thailand. Interesting flights, top scoff, cheap, cracking people, mental night life, lots to do and lovely beaches. Punters generally pleasant especially now the paedo regs have closed down a lot of the grotty bits.

Worst is Puerto Plata (thankfully we’ve binned it off). Blackpool with palm trees and punters to match.

The US is great for the scoff and cheap shopping but is out of favour these days.

St Lucia is pleasant, more up market but a ball ache to get from hotel to airport, 2+ hours over twisty mountain roads.

Hate Jamaica. Shimfing, lazy locals, chav central, essentially confined to the hotel if you’re sensible. Endless problems with passengers. Benidorm with reggae.

Barbados has lost its way. Very expensive and nowhere near as much fun as it used to be. Bit chav in the south, rich Tossers in the north.

Punta Cana and La Romana are really coming along. Bit of an undiscovered gem. Punters pretty average.

Short haul, Anywhere in Italy, punters more cultured but can be “do you know who I am?”

Hate Egypt. Punters ok but long, long days and really demanding with crap ATC and Arab mentality officialdom.

Majorca, opposite poles. Chav drunks in Shagsluf, classy at other end around Polensa.

Menorca. Lots of young families. Pretty place.

Canary Islands. Moon base Alpha with wind for extra sandblasting. Mixed bag of punters. La Palma the pick of the bunch, Tenerife not.

Corfu. Frightening place, airport stinks of shit. Apparently prepares you for the rest of the island.

Santorini. Belting place. Quiet but can get overrun when cruise ships come in.

Summary. Everywhere has some nice bits and some shit bits. Most punters just want to get there, a fair few make a real effort to be friendly with hard pressed and tired crews, a small minority are just *********. Pretty much a reflection of society at large.

Last edited:
Favourite is Thailand. Interesting flights, top scoff, cheap, cracking people, mental night life, lots to do and lovely beaches. Punters generally pleasant especially now the paedo regs have closed down a lot of the grotty bits.

Worst is Puerto Plata (thankfully we’ve binned it off). Blackpool with palm trees and punters to match.

The US is great for the scoff and cheap shopping but is out of favour these days.

St Lucia is pleasant, more up market but a ball ache to get from hotel to airport, 2+ hours over twisty mountain roads.

Hate Jamaica. Shimfing, lazy locals, chav central, essentially confined to the hotel if you’re sensible. Endless problems with passengers. Benidorm with reggae.

Barbados has lost its way. Very expensive and nowhere near as much fun as it used to be. Bit chav in the south, rich Tossers in the north.

Punta Cana and La Romana are really coming along. Bit of an undiscovered gem. Punters pretty average.

Short haul, Anywhere in Italy, punters more cultured but can be “do you know who I am?”

Hate Egypt. Punters ok but long, long days and really demanding with crap ATC and Arab mentality officialdom.

Majorca, opposite poles. Chav drunks in Shagsluf, classy at other end around Polensa.

Canary Islands. Moon base Alpha with wind for extra sandblasting. Mixed bag of punters. La Palma the pick of the bunch, Tenerife not.
Think Thailand is only place on above I've not been to.
Got married in Barbados - (St James)

Obviously - I saw those places through a different lens than you.

Jamaica - We were pretty much told to not go out of any hotel area...outside of which was shanty town anyway.

Do you prefer long or short haul? I honestly cant see attraction in long haul - any foreign country to me is same now...may as well as say "We are going to Manchester tomorrow".

Do you not find the same?

Ritch

LE

Corfu. Frightening place, airport stinks of shit. Apparently prepares you for the rest of the island.

Santorini. Belting place. Quiet but can get overrun when cruise ships come in.

Summary. Everywhere has some nice bits and some shit bits. Most punters just want to get there, a fair few make a real effort to be friendly with hard pressed and tired crews, a small minority are just *********. Pretty much a reflection of society at large.
Heraklion: Where the classy people go... ;)

Heraklion: Where the classy people go... ;)
With the fun approach over the cliffs and tracked by the (?) Roland battery on the hill. Scrote punters.:love:

Ritch

LE
With the fun approach over the cliffs and tracked by the (?) Roland battery on the hill. Scrote punters.:love:
I don't disagree with you there. Planes I've been on to there make chavs look cultured.

arfah

LE
2x Low wing, single engined (Merlins) monoplane fighters of the WW2 era formed up on a Sentinel R1 (?) over Canvey Island.
Difficult to see clearly as they were in the sun.

Nothing shown on either Flightradar24 or Open-ADS/B ?

2x Low wing, single engined (Merlins) monoplane fighters of the WW2 era formed up on a Sentinel R1 (?) over Canvey Island.
Difficult to see clearly as they were in the sun.

Nothing shown on either Flightradar24 or Open-ADS/B ?
and thats the tactic that wins battles

Latest Threads