Flightradar 24

Oops

War Hero
Had a visit yesterday afternoon that's reminded me to ask a question of the knowledgeable folk on this place.
A BFO Mil (Merlin?) helicopter came thumping through, 250mts further away from our farm than usual.
He was so low he had to rise over trees powelines etc. That's par for the course for this annual occurrence.
Sad as I am, I used to note in a diary whenever we had the flypast . We're miles from anywhere interesting, do not see owt Military apart from the Red Arrows passing through occasionally.
It's always happened either last week may/ first week June every time, the flightpath has always been the same up till this year, to within one fieldswidth every time.
They started off with C130 flights , probably 15+ years ago, then Chinooks mainly with odd Herc flight interspersed.
I've had camera phone out in time on two occasions, one year the loadmaster? was sat dangling his feet from the ramp of the Chinook and saw me(I happened to be on a barn roof level with him) as he banked round the farmstead, I still can't tell whether he was waving with only two fingers or not !
T'other time he had to lift over our large hedge and telephone wires after banking round the farmhouse he had both hands gripping the deck then!
Obviously the fixed wing flies higher, but not by much, most definitely under 250ft hereabouts.
I've pondered in the past whether it's some kind of Civil Defence Excersise or summat more 'interesting' ...It seems strange it's only once a year, at roughly the same time there are no visible markings on the aircraft, it appears from the N Liverpool direction and heads NE inland towards Preston/ Leyland.
I scanned Freedar but nowt to be seen, not surprising as it seems they're flying deliberate evasive manoeuvres.

Thoughts anyone?

tgo

War Hero
freedar doesn't have super fantastic coverage, 360 is more comprehensive, then again if at 250 feet or so, it'll be well below most people's receivers. Receiver profiles look like an upside down pyramid, with best/furthest range up high, least closest to the ground. My own particular receiver only shows a range of 14.62 nmiles up to a height of 1,000 feet.
Untitled-2.png

Oops

War Hero
freedar doesn't have super fantastic coverage, 360 is more comprehensive, then again if at 250 feet or so, it'll be well below most people's receivers. Receiver profiles look like an upside down pyramid, with best/furthest range up high, least closest to the ground. My own particular receiver only shows a range of 14.62 nmiles up to a height of 1,000 feet.View attachment 478638
Many thanks for your reply.
My question is more inquiring if anyone has any ideas what the nature of this obviously scheduled annual flight is actually about.
I dont profess to be anything other than a mildly observant peasant, however the nature of these flights grab the attention of anyone close enough to feel the downdraught!
Despite my limited knowledge of such stuff, it definitely leads me to believe they're flying extremely evasive techniques.

Many thanks for your reply.
My question is more inquiring if anyone has any ideas what the nature of this obviously scheduled annual flight is actually about.
I dont profess to be anything other than a mildly observant peasant, however the nature of these flights grab the attention of anyone close enough to feel the downdraught!
Despite my limited knowledge of such stuff, it definitely leads me to believe they're flying extremely evasive techniques.
Anything on NOTAMs?

NOTAM - Notice To Airmen. A notice containing information concerning the establishment, condition or change to any aeronautical facility, procedure, service or hazard the timely knowledge of which is essential to personnel engaged in flight operations.

From memory so might not be 100% bang on as I haven't had a Professional Knowledge check since 1998 :)

Last edited:

Oops

War Hero
NOTAM - Notice To Airmen. A notice containing information concerning the establishment, condition or change to any aeronautical facility, procedure or hazard the timely knowledge of which is essential to personnel engaged in flight operations.

From memory so might not be 100% bang on as I haven't had a Professional Knowledge check since 1998 :)

I used to bumble around if a summer evening with my mate in his microlight, (till he list his nerve) ...
We mainly gawped at neighbours crops and cows, but occasionally braved further afield..
Twas at the time you didn't even need strobes, nevermind a radio ( dunno whether it's changed) it was disconcerting leisurely flying over Liverpool City Centre with nowt to bother us( before any unpleasantness had started in the ME or nearer)
The only restriction I seem to recall was that as we're just south of Bae Wartons airspace, we had to be over 3000ft to enter.
My mate assured me it was them that'd see us....
I was never convinced, at the time they were testing a new pointy triangular thing that went straight up and made a noise like thunder...... we didn't put it to the test too often!

Downloaded this app yesterday first thing I seen was crab air approaching from the IOM towards Belfast were he spent and Hr landing and taking off at the same time another aircraft was doing the same on the IOM?
CB92788F-3968-41BC-A40A-54502E9544CD.jpeg
7B49AC82-2454-44F7-B562-BB67A431D9D7.png

It seems strange it's only once a year, at roughly the same time there are no visible markings on the aircraft...
It's one of the problems with modern mandatory markings. They're often so small as to be pointless. The rot set in with 'tonedown' in the '80s and by the '90s had become de rigeur. The markings on the AH64s are probably the worst - even from a few feet away.

LOL! She was engaged to one of the Americans, last I heard they were still married and he was a Colonel. This is us at the Firemans xmas party, I got out of hospital for the evening:
View attachment 474016
Coincidence is a funny old thing. I was just given the news that the young lady in this picture passed away yesterday morning. Only a little older than me. That's just a bit shit.

Ritch

LE
Retirement flight for a Virgin 744. En route to Spain.

Screenshot_20200602-165535.jpg