Flightradar 24

Bob Upndown

War Hero
Now this is a bit of an odd one, even my wife who has Olympic standard lack of sense of direction would suggest he might be a tad off course :)

2E241073-24FB-4CE5-8426-4B08B8A238EE.png

Ritch

LE
STINGRAY1 - one of the new P8's is just airborne. Probably off to make sure the fishermen keep 2m apart.

Screenshot_20200407-121004.jpg

Ritch

LE
I spotted one going from Brize the other day. I wondered where it was going and it landed in Warsaw.
Aye that came back the same day but landed in Prestwick iirc.

Ritch

LE
7am and usually the skies are pretty full. This is what 7am looks like now.

Screenshot_20200408-065320.jpg

Caught a C130 doing beach landings at Pembrey beach at 0230 though.

Ritch

LE
Is monitoring the fishing grounds solely a Military/State task, or do they use chartered civvy aircraft?
I was only joking about the P8 surveiling the fishing boats.

I did a quick Google as I didn't have a clue. The Marine and Fisheries Agency are responsible for anything like that and they use both boats for spot checks and aircraft for finding boats etc.

Screenshot_20200408-120401__01.jpg

Oops

Old-Salt
Screenshot_20200408-132957.png
Noisy bugger.
It's amazing how quickly you get used to the silence, at this time of day there's usually six or eight visible heading t'other way, you never notice em.

I was only joking about the P8 surveiling the fishing boats.

I did a quick Google as I didn't have a clue. The Marine and Fisheries Agency are responsible for anything like that and they use both boats for spot checks and aircraft for finding boats etc.

View attachment 463755
Thats interesting. There was a flight by an aircraft registered as G-NIAA (from Belfast) that headed out over the Atlantic across Donegal. I couldn't really think of anything else they might be doing out there.

Ritch

LE
Thats interesting. There was a flight by an aircraft registered as G-NIAA (from Belfast) that headed out over the Atlantic across Donegal. I couldn't really think of anything else they might be doing out there.
Could be. Had a look and found out NIAA is owned by Woodgate Aviation. They provide charters, ordnance surveys and air ambulance services. They are based in Belfast - they could be contracted to the M&FA.

Do British military helicopters not show up? Had plenty knocking around in the past ten days but nothing on flight radar.

NIAA has a wonky Mode-S box and throws out incorrect position and altitude data at least once on every flight. The flight you saw was probably this one with another of it's wishful plots:

Boringly it's configured for air ambulance duties along with NIAB ( hence the reg ) and tootles back and forth to England doing that and light charters.

When maritime recce is needed off the NW coast, 2Excel send one of their King Airs to Donegal EIDL.

Last edited:

Ritch

LE
Do British military helicopters not show up? Had plenty knocking around in the past ten days but nothing on flight radar.
You can use Freedar.co.uk or the app. Military helicopters show up regular on there provided you set the filter to military.

Here are the ones showing right now.
Screenshot_20200408-145127.jpg

NIAA has a wonky Mode-S box and throws out incorrect position and altitude data at least once on every flight. The flight you saw was probably this one with another of it's wishful plots:

Boringly it's configured for air ambulance duties along with NIAB ( hence the reg ) and tootles back and forth to England doing that and light charters.

When maritime recce is needed off the NW coast, 2Excel send one of their King Airs to Donegal EIDL.
That would fit with what I saw. It appeared to be over the Atlantic heading back to the Irish Coast then was in near Belfast when I looked again shortly afterwards.

Latest Threads