Flightradar 24

Genuinely laughed whilst swallowing a mouthful of Coke whilst reading that. Got a coughing fit now.
Gag reflex.

I often induce that

Far East shit. More than a few accidents over the years with FOs afraid and /or unwilling to challenge God Like Captains.
Who was it managed to stack a 777 (IIRC) in perfect conditions with fully functioning ILS. Defo Asian and into the US

Flight crew and trainer?* up front
Primary cause was the convoluted that A had seniority over B and C but B was senior in age and timed served - so nobody was going to contradict B culture (as you've said Asian issue).
Secondary was the fact crew never flew or landed - the reporting system was being used to critique pilots landings with punitive actions for less than perfect and so other than on annual check nobody touched the controls.

*? nobody being trained more annual review

Yep, and a Met Man, all very nice and helpful. But we weren't left with an area radar, so we had to self-position in VMC to be in the basket for an approach, pretty bloody useless in all respects. The krauts said they could get us in the area, but not sufficiently accurately, nor low enough, to hand over to the Gutersloh controllers.
The approach radar was very old and knackered. They built a stand/tower for the shiny new replacement, with SSR, then the cold war finished and that was the end of it. We used to take fixed wing around the radar circuit at 2,000 feet but when the radar was on the fritz (was happening more and more) we went to Frankfurt (clutch radar). The lowest radar height there was 3000 feet (but you had to fudge things a bit), not a lot of good for you guys.

Last edited:

Ritch

LE
Who was it managed to stack a 777 (IIRC) in perfect conditions with fully functioning ILS. Defo Asian and into the US

Flight crew and trainer?* up front
Primary cause was the convoluted that A had seniority over B and C but B was senior in age and timed served - so nobody was going to contradict B culture (as you've said Asian issue).
Secondary was the fact crew never flew or landed - the reporting system was being used to critique pilots landings with punitive actions for less than perfect and so other than on annual check nobody touched the controls.

*? nobody being trained more annual review
This one?

Yes. That one. Clowns failed to understand the automatic function (Autothrottle wake up) in one of the vertical modes and stacked it.

Very similar circumstances to the Emirates 777 botched Go Around.

Oops

Old-Salt
I believe he prefers to be referred to as “His left hand seatedness”.
'nother gawpy question....
Did the 'left hand drive' stuff evolve from American/ European road vehicle protocol?
Weren't we still at the forefront of aviation procedures pre war?
Johnny Foreigners interfering with the natural order yet again, surely it's easier to fine tune ones' movements using the 'natural' side, most people being right handed?
I can't even pick my nose left handed with any hope of successful outcome.

Oops

Old-Salt
Not ex military. Was military but failed Army Pilots Course.
Is that the bit where you have to demonstrate the dexterity of an octopus, in one of those motorised ceiling fan type thingys, or do they do fixed wing stuff to start off on?
Even I know you can't make a tank fly.

'nother gawpy question....
Did the 'left hand drive' stuff evolve from American/ European road vehicle protocol?
Weren't we still at the forefront of aviation procedures pre war?
Johnny Foreigners interfering with the natural order yet again, surely it's easier to fine tune ones' movements using the 'natural' side, most people being right handed?
I can't even pick my nose left handed with any hope of successful outcome.
Never thought about it. Good question but sorry, I don’t have the answer!

Now I do

Makes sense. Learning to fly, you are taught that if following a linear feature you fly on the right of it to avoid colliding with someone doing the same thing coming the other way.

Now I do

Makes sense. Learning to fly, you are taught that if following a linear feature you fly on the right of it to avoid colliding with someone doing the same thing coming the other way.
The rule of the right, from the very early days of flying when they were smashing into each other following roads, railways, phone lines etc.

Now I do

Ah but what about helos then? ;)

Open up Freedar and bottom left corner is sound control, I've never bothered with it but turned it on today and lo and behold radio traffic. Most of it is gobbledogook to me does anyone know where and what it is.
1585605078767.png

Ah but what about helos then? ;)
Deviants and non conformists mostly, their Commanders sit on the right to prepare themselves for when they become real aviators and become SOs (Suitcase Operators) before graduating to FO (Flap Operator).

ETA, every RAF SH, FAA and AAC guy I’ve ever worked with has been a top operator. The RAF Transport types are generally top lads too although every single one of them seems to have been OC SF Flight. The FJ guys are a real mixed bag. I’ll leave it there....

Last edited:

Latest Threads