Flightradar 24

As i posted thast last night, it was in it's final approach for landing. It did a couple of left hand orbit's and then touched down but then took off again straight away and went back on station over the north sea.

Other than training, i dont understand why they did that unless maybe they were doing a crew change over?
Knowing the crabs they fancied a takeaway.

Border-Reiver

Old-Salt
As i posted thast last night, it was in it's final approach for landing. It did a couple of left hand orbit's and then touched down but then took off again straight away and went back on station over the north sea.

Other than training, i dont understand why they did that unless maybe they were doing a crew change over?
Possibly an issue with the tracking app? Which one were you using?

I live in the local area and it certainly didn't go anywhere after a few circuits and landing around 2145.

The aircraft can carry up to 35 so routinely will just rotate through as required rather than RTB for a crew swap.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Bob Upndown

War Hero
The A340-600's have been retired by Virgin now, a few months ahead of schedule.
That's the end of an era for VS. A 340-300 did the inaugural flight into JNB...and went tech for the return. I'd been in country for six months setting up the operation. The Saffers had gone bonkers for the arrival of VS into their market and the whole event was being massively covered across the media. A hydraulic fitting had failed in the starboard wing, dropping fluid onto the ramp. The problem was that this was a fitting that NEVER failed, hence we and no-one else at Jan Smuts had any spares. We ended up getting the fitting flown out with the next day's aircraft. That was not a good day to be around RB.

On hot days out of JNB (6000ft above sea level), with CFM56 engines fitted to the -300's, the take off roll could often be charitably described as ''pedestrian''.

I was lucky to be at MAN when the first -600 arrived and was on the ferry flight to LHR. The additional length of the -600 made the aisle surfing challenge more fun than usual :p

Ritch

LE
That's the end of an era for VS. A 340-300 did the inaugural flight into JNB...and went tech for the return. I'd been in country for six months setting up the operation. The Saffers had gone bonkers for the arrival of VS into their market and the whole event was being massively covered across the media. A hydraulic fitting had failed in the starboard wing, dropping fluid onto the ramp. The problem was that this was a fitting that NEVER failed, hence we and no-one else at Jan Smuts had any spares. We ended up getting the fitting flown out with the next day's aircraft. That was not a good day to be around RB.

On hot days out of JNB (6000ft above sea level), with CFM56 engines fitted to the -300's, the take off roll could often be charitably described as ''pedestrian''.

I was lucky to be at MAN when the first -600 arrived and was on the ferry flight to LHR. The additional length of the -600 made the aisle surfing challenge more fun than usual :p
I've seen some videos of the takeoff roll of the A343's! I see what you mean.

I was hoping to get a flight on a -600 before they went into retirement, flying to Seattle via Atlanta but that won't happen now.

Steward?

A guy I used to work with went fixed-wing and ended up on the A340 with Virgin. He said that if you lost an engine on take-off there was not much margin between “phew!” and SPLAT!

Bob Upndown

War Hero
A guy I used to work with went fixed-wing and ended up on the A340 with Virgin. He said that if you lost an engine on take-off there was not much margin between “phew!” and SPLAT!
Some would say that Boksburg could do with the sort of remodelling a plane crash would allow :p

Unil the 744 and 346 arrived on the route, the cargo revenues were pretty poor and consignments mainly of lightweight commodities such as flowers.

Ritch

LE
Look at this for a photo. Taken from the latest Red Flag exercise.

2x RAF Typhoon practising a scramble to a USAF B52.

IMG_20200327_155347.jpg

Ritch

LE
That's a great picture, it needs to be 1920 x 1080 for me to
get it on as a windows desktop background though :)
Sorry, I stole it off Twitter.

Any Westland jockeys amongst us?

I've been watching a tv series on Yesterday called Warbird Workshop. It’s quite good. This episode is about the restoration of a Navy Westland Wessex.

Getting airborne by virtue of the curvature of the earth, an Airbus speciality.

Ritch

LE
Getting airborne by virtue of the curvature of the earth, an Airbus speciality.
I'm surprised just how slow some Airbus' seem to climb. I often get get heavies of Heathrow heading overhead on the way to America/Mexico and usually the Boeing's are already at altitude. I often see Airbus types still climbing and I'm 160 miles from Heathrow as the crow flies.

Latest Threads