Flightradar 24

For some reason RTR comes to mind, Hildesheim, but must confess to not hearing this tale......though a young Atpr did borrow their 'bell' for a day or two that caused much anger.
For some reason RTR comes to mind, Hildesheim, but must confess to not hearing this tale......though a young Atpr did borrow their 'bell' for a day or two that caused much anger.
That’s the place. The Korea Bell incident crossed the line as 1RTR lost a lot of guys there. Another one that went down like a fart in a space suit was a comment in the shared Officers Mess Comments Book inviting all RTR Officers to kill themselves. The comedian went on to be the hero of Box Hill by which time I’d left but I presume there was further piss taking.

British Airways pilot certainly made this little guy's day.
View attachment 444557
Great stuff. I do this whenever asked. I love the way the kids are mesmerised by it all and like to think that over the years a few have been inspired to have a go at the job themselves. It reminds me of me and how I got hooked at age 7!

A 10 year old lass bought a pilot teddy bear on the flight yesterday and asked to come to the flight deck to get my name so she could name it after me (note to self: tenuous claims to fame thread). Every ego needs feeding ;)

Her mum was fit too.

Ritch

LE
Great stuff. I do this whenever asked. I love the way the kids are mesmerised by it all and like to think that over the years a few have been inspired to have a go at the job themselves. It reminds me of me and how I got hooked at age 7!

A 10 year old lass bought a pilot teddy bear on the flight yesterday and asked to come to the flight deck to get my name so she could name it after me (note to self: tenuous claims to fame thread). Every ego needs feeding ;)

Her mum was fit too.
I was on a Jet2 flight to Heraklion last summer and due to ATC being complete shîts, had to sit on the plane for an hour and half plus. The pilot put a call out if any kids would like to visit the cockpit of the 757 and there was a queue of at least 40 kids with a smattering of adults waiting to get in for a look.

Must have been playing with the yoke too as the ailerons kept shifting up and down in rapid succession!

When I was about 10 years old I went to an exhibition at Olympia. The
RAF had a Lightning cockpit there and were letting kids sit in it for about a minute as there was quite a queue. I just kept going to the back of the queue after my go and went around Christ knows how many times.

Hooked.

That’s the place. The Korea Bell incident crossed the line as 1RTR lost a lot of guys there. Another one that went down like a fart in a space suit was a comment in the shared Officers Mess Comments Book inviting all RTR Officers to kill themselves. The comedian went on to be the hero of Box Hill by which time I’d left but I presume there was further piss taking.
Hero of Box Hill.

That's a good one :D

Rod924

LE
Kit Reviewer
I was there at the time of 'bell theft' and was very aware of said theif; character. His mate went on to appear in the AAC Pilots series on BBC! I played football for the Regt as well as went out on the next Op Banner Roulamont.

Any gen on when VS will be dropping the last of their 74s?
We’re booked to go in Oct from MAN & it’s currently a 74. Mrs mate has had an E-mither from VS to say her aircraft has been changed & she’s got new seats.
Not sure where she’s flying from though.
@Ritch ?

Ritch

LE
Any gen on when VS will be dropping the last of their 74s?
We’re booked to go in Oct from MAN & it’s currently a 74. Mrs mate has had an E-mither from VS to say her aircraft has been changed & she’s got new seats.
Not sure where she’s flying from though.
@Ritch ?
They'll have phased out the 744's completely by 2021. Eight of them are still in service IIRC so there's a chance you'll still be going on one.

They'll have phased out the 744's completely by 2021. Eight of them are still in service IIRC so there's a chance you'll still be going on one.
Right. One of the Ned websites states 7 left. That’s after VBIG was stored. Perhaps that’s why they’ve changed her flight.
Cheers.

Ritch

LE
Right. One of the Ned websites states 7 left. That’s after VBIG was stored. Perhaps that’s why they’ve changed her flight.
Cheers.
Ah I forgot about VBIG being a recent casualty.

I booked a flight to Seattle to see friends with Virgin. I went with them and rather than take a direct flight to KSEA, I was booked to go via Atlanta in an A340-600, a long time favourite of mine. However that's been changed to an A330 so I've cancelled it. I'll go with BA direct, a lot cheaper!

Ah I forgot about VBIG being a recent casualty.

I booked a flight to Seattle to see friends with Virgin. I went with them and rather than take a direct flight to KSEA, I was booked to go via Atlanta in an A340-600, a long time favourite of mine. However that's been changed to an A330 so I've cancelled it. I'll go with BA direct, a lot cheaper!
Fair enough. I think that site said only 4 340s remain.

Ritch

LE
Fair enough. I think that site said only 4 340s remain.
Yeah. Virgin had initially wanted the A346's gone by now but because of the 787's engine issues, they've had to keep them on whilst the 787's have more regular services etc.

The majority of the routes they're doing now is the LHR-JFK.

Can't find a more suitable thread. Document from ICAO (Doc 10084) Risk Assessment Manual for Civil Aircraft Operations Over or Near Conflict Zones Doc 10084

No special reason for posting this except I noticed he has a bit of a shift on.
The jetstream can really push aircraft along a bit, which is why the routes change all the time depending on the wind :)

Reminds me of a 'jolly' I managed to get on where we could go up in the KC-130 at RAF Stanley and watch out of a gap in the rear door while the 23 Squadron Phantoms refuelled over the sea.
View attachment 444091
Or refueling Harriers over Northern Iraq.

Latest Threads