Flightradar 24

I can't quite believe it myself but I have been flying like normal (well, I'm not a pilot but I reckon it's normal). I've been on autopilot, following the waypoints set in and end up on approach, where you select approach and then you take over on the controls a few miles from landing. In the mentioned case of me achieving a respectable 6000fpm descent, I was only doing 140 knots. So I've either bent the laws of physics or the Sim is broken. :D
In which case you're starting your initial descent or your final approach way too high :)

Ritch

LE
In which case you're starting your initial descent or your final approach way too high :)
You know I've noticed this with the Sim. On takeoff from major airports, the flight plan that it gives you has you leaving an airport and climbing in increments but it's ridiculous how long it takes. Most of the times, it has you programmed to travel 150+ miles from Heathrow before you can get past 20,000ft. I usually ignore that on departure and set a steady climb rate (hence my question to Toastie on the ideal rate). However when it comes to descent, I just follow the flight plan and stay on autopilot.

Meh, it's only a game. I should stop overthinking it.

I'll wait until this comes out next year on the Xbox One and try to learn a bit more.

Or try starting the approach from somewhere other than 20 yards from the runway...

@Ritch I’m sure you’ve seen this channel on YouTube. It’s rather splendid. He’s a Ryanair Captain/instructor/assessor/chief bottle washer on 737s.
He’s covered more or less every scenario you’d ever need while flying.

Ritch

LE
@Ritch I’m sure you’ve seen this channel on YouTube. It’s rather splendid. He’s a Ryanair Captain/instructor/assessor/chief bottle washer on 737s.
He’s covered more or less every scenario you’d ever need while flying.

Aye I watch some of his videos. It's just his voice sends me to sleep! :D He's on my subscribe list though. Cheers!

Don’t know what Sectors you work but it’s common for requests to change rate in and out of Manchester.
I was military but a bit 'special' as I worked in the civilian sectors at London Centre (both West Drayton & Swanwick). All the Southern sectors plus Daventry etc. For TC (Terminal Control) airspace it was a sit and plug in to watch because you really don't want military aircraft screwing around in there. My interaction with Manchester was when they were moving from the old sub centre in Manchester tower to the new centre at Prestwick. I never sat down and worked any of their sectors but it did seem a bit of a buggers muddle.
Mode S is arse. ISTR that we get +/- 5 kts so we don’t have to put flap out for the sake of say 2 kts. When Mode S first came out there were a few (I suspect) ex East German ATCers who get quite animated if we didn’t select exactly what we’d been given on the Mode Control Speed. To be fair, it was only a few and the overwhelming majority get that we are all on the same side.
There are a lot of DAPS that ATC don't use but its very useful for us to see what you've plugged in. You'll be aware that Heathrow director (in particular) is very critical on spacing so the speeds are crucial.

1AFFFC35-77C7-4627-8A15-EC45F310D4A8.jpeg

Christmas Day flights usually involve the Cabin Crew coordinating a full Xmas Dinner with the pilots picking up the choccies etc.

I’m loving that black tie and cocktail frocks tale. Pure class!:-D:party:

Border-Reiver

Old-Salt
You know I've noticed this with the Sim. On takeoff from major airports, the flight plan that it gives you has you leaving an airport and climbing in increments but it's ridiculous how long it takes. Most of the times, it has you programmed to travel 150+ miles from Heathrow before you can get past 20,000ft. I usually ignore that on departure and set a steady climb rate (hence my question to Toastie on the ideal rate). However when it comes to descent, I just follow the flight plan and stay on autopilot.

Meh, it's only a game. I should stop overthinking it.

I'll wait until this comes out next year on the Xbox One and try to learn a bit more.

What sim have you been using on Android?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Ritch

LE
They're a bunch of mostly ex-crabs who do special missions for various agencies.

That one is on a Coastguard callsign ( CGD ) so presumably a search pattern for MCA.
Ahh okay, thanks.

I once got one of those flight "experiences" for a flight out of DSA and as I was walking with the pilot to the Cessna, saw a couple of planes with the logo on so that's what made me think it was a school.

0_FB_IMG_1577284302743.jpg

Latest Threads