Flightradar 24

Yeah, there's been much speculation about its departure, I'm given to understand that Portsmouth council was seeking an injunction to prevent it taking off at all. I had a feeling it would be today, and certainly not over the weekend.
Complaints popping up in our local FB group (Portchester, jet went right over the top) but loads of support and delight as well :)
facebook_1576502556666.jpg

Last edited:
Complaints popping up in our local FB group (Portchester, jet went right over the top) but loads of support and delight as well :)View attachment 437343
Any replies along the lines of 'the sound of freedom', or 'I love the smell of aviation fuel in the morning at lunchtime'?

Any replies along the lines of 'the sound of freedom', or 'I love the smell of aviation fuel in the morning at lunchtime'?
Not quite yet but , having helped to save the West from the ravening hoards of Soviet soldiery in the 80's & 90's (and ruining my liver in the process), I am ready to do my duty once more.

Edited to add: Picked my eldest granddaughters up from school. The jet went right over the top, some very excited kids :)

Last edited:
Not quite yet but , having helped to save the West from the ravening hoards of Soviet soldiery in the 80's & 90's (and ruining my liver in the process), I am ready to do my duty once more.

Edited to add: Picked my eldest granddaughters up from school. The jet went right over the top, some very excited kids :)
You'd think Pompey would be pleased to have hosted a UK first wouldn't you?

I remember some complaints when the retirement of Tornado was celebrated by a Tonka hammering over Abbeywood at low altitude. Neighbours were displeased, we were delighted.

Complaints popping up in our local FB group (Portchester, jet went right over the top) but loads of support and delight as well :)View attachment 437343
We heard it from Broad Oak but didn't know what it was until after the event. Would love to have been on Whale Island!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Ritch

LE
You'd think Pompey would be pleased to have hosted a UK first wouldn't you?

I remember some complaints when the retirement of Tornado was celebrated by a Tonka hammering over Abbeywood at low altitude. Neighbours were displeased, we were delighted.
It wasn't too long ago that Sheffield had to AH64's doing circuits round the city. It was nice to see them and the sound was phenomenal as they were very low level.

We also had the fly by to celebrate the anniversary of the USAF bomber crash. It involved a C130, KC-135, Typhoon, an Osprey and a four ship of F15's. It was impressive but a load of people wrote on Twitter complaining about the noise - which lasted no more than 3-4 minutes. Some people will complain about anything.

It wasn't too long ago that Sheffield had to AH64's doing circuits round the city. It was nice to see them and the sound was phenomenal as they were very low level.

We also had the fly by to celebrate the anniversary of the USAF bomber crash. It involved a C130, KC-135, Typhoon, an Osprey and a four ship of F15's. It was impressive but a load of people wrote on Twitter complaining about the noise - which lasted no more than 3-4 minutes. Some people will complain about anything.
Bit like the complaints whenever RAF aircraft go supersonic overhead when scrambled to an unresponsive aircraft. Yet, if it was an attack and the plane went into a building etc the same people will be complaining "Where was the RAF?!"

Ritch

LE
Benefits of being an insomniac, Flightradar just pumped out an alert that the third and final Project Sunrise flight has departed JFK bound for Sydney arriving in 19 hours and 15 minutes.

Screenshot_20191217-031146.jpg

With Project Sunrise reaching completion, Qantas aren't sure if they will be going ahead 100% with direct flights between New York and Sydney or London to Sydney/Melbourne but have placed a tentative order for a few A350-1000 Ultra Long Range in case they do go ahead.

Bit of a blow for Boeing.

Benefits of being an insomniac, Flightradar just pumped out an alert that the third and final Project Sunrise flight has departed JFK bound for Sydney arriving in 19 hours and 15 minutes.

View attachment 437493

With Project Sunrise reaching completion, Qantas aren't sure if they will be going ahead 100% with direct flights between New York and Sydney or London to Sydney/Melbourne but have placed a tentative order for a few A350-1000 Ultra Long Range in case they do go ahead.

Bit of a blow for Boeing.
QF have always being trying to extend the Kangaroo route from way back. Having opened up a LHR to PER straight flight, I wouldn't be surprised they manage to open a few to SYD and MEL. Very lucrative routes for them.

QF have always being trying to extend the Kangaroo route from way back. Having opened up a LHR to PER straight flight, I wouldn't be surprised they manage to open a few to SYD and MEL. Very lucrative routes for them.
Probably just around the pacific, just like Air NZ does from LA, but slightly longer.

Ritch

LE
Yes, we know.

Ritch

LE
Ever wondered how far a 737 will go with no pax and full to the brim with fuel? No, me neither however KLM are finding out. A ferry flight from the factory in Seattle to Glasgow - 9 and a half hours!

Screenshot_20191218-214138.jpg

Edit:- It skipped landing in Glasgow and went straight to Amsterdam. So that's a ten hour, 5000 mile flight on 737 tanks. Not bad.

Last edited:
I was out dodging weather once just north of Inverness. I was down at about 200’ when a Harrier shot underneath me whilst rocking his wings (fast-jet speak for “I saw you”). He then called up Inverness ATC, his call sign was “Wellard 01”

Re: F-35 / JSF / Lightning II

Same weight as a Phantom II but nearly four tonnes more thrust. Noise in the hover is immense but actually not painful, all focused in the mid-range of frequencies. I think that the cold flow from the fan acts as a sort of noise suppressor.

Re: F-35 / JSF / Lightning II

Same weight as a Phantom II but nearly four tonnes more thrust. Noise in the hover is immense but actually not painful, all focused in the mid-range of frequencies. I think that the cold flow from the fan acts as a sort of noise suppressor.
By Pass engine. Wow, I thought that was only a civi thing? Every day’s a school day.

I do like the Callsigns.
View attachment 438027
I was out dodging weather once just north of Inverness. I was down at about 200’ when a Harrier shot underneath me whilst rocking his wings (fast-jet speak for “I saw you”). He then called up Inverness ATC, his call sign was “Wellard 01”

Pfft.

You know you’ve arrived when you have a personal callsign. Not Goose or any of that homoerotic shite, a proper one, name and number.

Mine was ASTEL 39.

Mahoosive set of balls.

I was working at Air Service Training.

Teaching Air Cadets On Cessna 150s.:lick:

Latest Threads