Flightradar 24 and Marine spotting odds and sods.

exbluejob

LE
Book Reviewer
F-15 nipping along and making sonic booms over the North Sea at the moment.
Screenshot 2022-05-25 at 08.55.49.png

Getting to be a problem at LHR lately. Lack of ground staff.
Now I'm curious, what do they do with the ground ones, boil them up like coffee?

Nicky swango

Old-Salt
Getting to be a problem at LHR lately. Lack of ground staff.
Been a problem on and off for years, and certainly since T5 opened...I was say something along the lines of "don't tempt fate" when Ritch said they were going to early into LHR last night.

You'd often be sitting on the ground after a long night out of bed, burning fuel, and pleading over the radio with the people who controlled the gates for some flexibility and mercy... They'd almost always quote the immovable "stand plan" (drawn up the previous evening) back at you. That meant for reasons various you had to wait for your specified gate to clear, regardless of what else was available..........

One thing I don't miss about being at BA is the experience of looking out of the window after a long night at work, staring at empty gates, knowing the paying passengers could see those same gates and discussing with flight deck colleagues "OK, How am I/how are you going to explain this over the PA to the passengers"?

Last edited:
Been a problem on and off for years, and certainly since T5 opened...I was say something along the lines of "don't tempt fate" when Ritch said they were going to early into LHR last night.

You'd often be sitting on the ground after a long night out of bed, burning AVGAS, and pleading over the radio with the people who controlled the gates for some flexibility and mercy... They'd almost always quote the immovable "stand plan" (drawn up the previous evening) back at you. That meant for reasons various you had to wait for your specified gate to clear, regardless of what else was available..........

One thing I don't miss about being at BA is the experience of looking out of the window after a long night at work, staring at empty gates, knowing the paying passengers could see those same gates and discussing with flight deck colleagues "OK, How am I/how are you going to explain this over the PA to the passengers"?
He was behind me on the NAT last night but being TUI, we were above the OTS so just flew in a straight line, 7 hours 6 mins from Melbourne.

He needs to be behind me so he can track me following his earlier comment. I’ve never stalked a cripple before…..

Then we got into MAN and sat waiting for a stand for 45 minutes with eyes burning from fatigue and engines burning a literal tonne of fuel (no APU so both turning).

I just told the pax MAN is shite.

Ritch

LE
He was behind me on the NAT last night but being TUI, we were above the OTS so just flew in a straight line, 7 hours 6 mins from Melbourne.

He needs to be behind me so he can track me following his earlier comment. I’ve never stalked a cripple before…..

Then we got into MAN and sat waiting for a stand for 45 minutes with eyes burning from fatigue and engines burning a literal tonne of fuel (no APU so both turning).

I just told the pax MAN is shite.
Just messing, mate. Honest! ;)

Nicky swango

Old-Salt
Ah that's nothing, I see the SLBM and raise the author being about 100km downrange from (what we laterly found out to be) a Soyuz/Progress night launch from Baikonur....

Back in the days before any of the current unpleasantness middle of the night we were in the standard westbound trail of heavies BA/ Cathay/Qantas etc etc from the Far East to Europe, on airways, over the oilfields in that part of the world when one "flare" decided to lift off, head up the windscreen and go pretty much directly over the top and rumble off eastbound, staging in the process.

Not a squeak from ATC but lots of chat between aircraft...same happened to a few other crews on other occasions...