Flightradar 24 and Marine spotting odds and sods.

I was once asked why the standby compass overshoots and undershoots on certain headings during an instrument rating test. Apparently “because it’s heavier on one side” was not the answer the examiner was looking for.

I never really got a good explanation until I did my commercial licence.
Not taught in the RAF or FAA I discovered to my surprise. Flight on standby instruments to them was purely AI and they relied solely on timed turns.

Ritch

LE
A geek channel on YouTube suggests they use a different system…or something.
@Ritch You follow those live stream lads don’t you? They mentioned it last Sunday.

Just a screenshot from my FR24, showing LoganAir.

Screenshot_20220125-201138_Flightradar24.jpg

Just a screenshot from my FR24, showing LoganAir.

View attachment 634365

Strange.
We were both watching the MAN live stream last weekend (I saw your name. I’m not stalking you…this time) & a 777 landed just before a Loganair. LA wasn’t showing up on FR24 & someone commented about it. The guy running the stream said that LA use a different transpondery thing to most others (Stop me if I’m getting too techy) & that’s why.
I immediately checked FR24 & sure enough, there it wasn’t. You could clearly see the 777 taxiing just in front.

Wee Nippy has developed a Stealth Capability?

Prrsonally I can’t wait for her to do so as it means I’d neither have to see or hear her.

Ritch

LE
Strange.
We were both watching the MAN live stream last weekend (I saw your name. I’m not stalking you…this time) & a 777 landed just before a Loganair. LA wasn’t showing up on FR24 & someone commented about it. The guy running the stream said that LA use a different transpondery thing to most others (Stop me if I’m getting too techy) & that’s why.
I immediately checked FR24 & sure enough, there it wasn’t. You could clearly see the 777 taxiing just in front.
It must have been someone else mate as it wasn't me. :D

Nicky swango

Old-Salt
FWIW I’ve just nipped over to FR24 (on iPad) and I can see LM598 Ritch refers to fine..

Not quite sure what‘s behind the thinking is that Lognaiar might be using different “transpondery”….AFAIK in the civvie world ineverything has to be universally mutually visible, certainly in the UK…

FWIW I’ve just nipped over to FR24 (on iPad) and I can see LM598 Ritch refers to fine..

Not quite sure what‘s behind the thinking is that Lognaiar might be using different “transpondery”….AFAIK in the civvie world ineverything has to be universally mutually visible, certainly in the UK…

Avgeeks eh? Think they know it all. Tch!

BlipDriver

War Hero
Stealth 777 from Fort Worth Alliance (KAFW) - probably cargo, but to where & what?
1643155424399.png

Did a bit more looking, it's CMB545 US Transportation Command Omni International.

Last edited:

BlipDriver

War Hero
Went to have a look, found this - same browser, ADSB has callsign, FR24 doesn't.

1643155966628.png

1643155991054.png

Just seconds after posting FR24 got the details, seems like just passing FL100.

Attachments

• 1643155945684.png
    1643155945684.png
    757.3 KB · Views: 0

BlipDriver

War Hero

Yep, no transponder information, get out of the airspace.

As an aside, if you're on iPad have you tried the NATS tracking app?

It's only on iOS, & unlikely to ever come to Android, but uses data from NATS to track.

Brookman’s Park BPK is about centre of that circle?

We quite often here “them” / “someone” on 121.5 in the wee small hours. “260 in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, Mark” then a little later “270 in 5, etc”. Fits with this I guess? Some fancy tracking kit following a DME arc, probably checking that too?

275021A2-45EA-415E-83ED-5BF327F8F0FD.png

Last edited:

Boxer96

Old-Salt
Yep, no transponder information, get out of the airspace.

As an aside, if you're on iPad have you tried the NATS tracking app?

It's only on iOS, & unlikely to ever come to Android, but uses data from NATS to track.
Thanks for the tip!. Works really well here in Bayern.

BlipDriver

War Hero
Brookman’s Park BPK is about centre of that circle?

We quite often here “them” / “someone” on 121.5 in the wee small hours. “260 in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, Mark” then a little later “270 in 5, etc”. Fits with this I guess? Some fancy tracking kit following a DME arc, probably checking that too?

View attachment 634428

Think you're right, did wonder about BPK last night but put in a different place, must've been tired.
Found this that seems to prove it:

Also, guess what frequency can't be selected at an atc workstation?

Edit as link didn't work.

exbluejob

LE
Book Reviewer
Interesting video about the EK flight which allegedly started take off whilst another aircraft was crossing the runway. I personally think he focusses too much on pilot mismanagement/CRM because it is possible that the controller wrongly issued a take off clearance (although there are several tools that help to mitigate that possibility). A quick listen to the tapes will immediately show what was said. I did find it curious that the EK flight just waited for the brakes to cool then departed. It's my understanding from my time in Dubai (and visits to EK HQ's amazing control room) that the pilots couldn't fart without EK knowing. So how could this aircraft have sat on the taxiway for 30 mins without EK giving permission? Weird!

Interesting video about the EK flight which allegedly started take off whilst another aircraft was crossing the runway. I personally think he focusses too much on pilot mismanagement/CRM because it is possible that the controller wrongly issued a take off clearance (although there are several tools that help to mitigate that possibility). A quick listen to the tapes will immediately show what was said. I did find it curious that the EK flight just waited for the brakes to cool then departed. It's my understanding from my time in Dubai (and visits to EK HQ's amazing control room) that the pilots couldn't fart without EK knowing. So how could this aircraft have sat on the taxiway for 30 mins without EK giving permission? Weird!

It’s called Delay Compensation. Avoid a delay, save face and crucify people later.

30 mins is also highly optimistic for a Brake Cooling Time following a reasonably high speed Rejected Take Off.

exbluejob

LE
Book Reviewer
It’s called Delay Compensation. Avoid a delay, save face and crucify people later.

30 mins is also highly optimistic for a Brake Cooling Time following a reasonably high speed Rejected Take Off.
Ah yes, that makes perfect sense in EKs environment. I think he got to 120 knots before slamming on the anchors, so yes they'd have been a tad warm. I know the A380 has a tool for calculating braking and runway exit point (ALD - Actual Landing Distance) to keep brake cooling time to a minimum, no point turning off at the first possible RET and saving a minute if you're going to add 2 hours to brake cooling time.

Ah yes, that makes perfect sense in EKs environment. I think he got to 120 knots before slamming on the anchors, so yes they'd have been a tad warm. I know the A380 has a tool for calculating braking and runway exit point (ALD - Actual Landing Distance) to keep brake cooling time to a minimum, no point turning off at the first possible RET and saving a minute if you're going to add 2 hours to brake cooling time.
I’ve got one of those as do most pilots that are trusted by their employers.

It’s called Airmanship.

Latest Threads