Flightradar 24 and Marine spotting odds and sods.

Oh, and the floatplane guys in the Maldives.

Garuda Indonesia, most ME carriers, all African carriers except SAA* and for balance, American Airlines 757/767**

* @Lardbeast is better qualified to comment here

** the only time I’ve thought things were getting properly out of hand was on an AA flight into Mo Bay. A dangerously yeeha approach flown by a cowboy. I was an FO at the time and the Captain I was with was a senior examiner. As we were getting off Chuck T Cheeseburger III Jr was standing at the door, grinning. He clocked our crew bags and asked “waddya think of that boys?!”. My oppo just said “if you’d done that in our airline you’d be walking back to Miami”.

That was on a 757 so that clown might still be on the fleet. Same fleet, same airline, I watched one come out of a thunderstorm sideways right on the limits with a howling gale and torrential rain at Santo Domingo and how he kept it on the runway will forever be a mystery. We were sat at the hold as it hurtled towards us, waiting for the storm to pass through. TBF they sounded distinctly rattled and very chastened on the radio as they taxied in. A better plan would have been to hold off 10 miles for 15 minutes and land in flat calm but hey ho.
I shall bear that in mind when next flying, interesting there are no European based carriers on your list, and I assume you don’t count El Al as a ME operator or is it impossible to discern their standards.

Rab_C

LE
I shall bear that in mind when next flying, interesting there are no European based carriers on your list, and I assume you don’t count El Al as a ME operator or is it impossible to discern their standards.
I don’t know about the technical safety of El Al but never again for me as a passenger. Abysmal service and crew/passengers with no interest in seat belts, walking around when the seatbelt signs are on, total disregard for what I thought were international rules.

I don’t know about the technical safety of El Al but never again for me as a passenger. Abysmal service and crew/passengers with no interest in seat belts, walking around when the seatbelt signs are on, total disregard for what I thought were international rules.
I’ve been on a couple of flights where Orthodox Jews were a component of the passenger load.

Awful.

I used to use Delta a lot on work travel as my employer footed the bill via HRG. Service aboard was always brilliant, though I was always jammed against a fat American on most return flights. A lot of the other folks in the Dept flew Virgin to DC a lot but I never went there myself and don't know what VA are like.

Been on EasyJet a lot with work too but the flights were over as soon as they had begun so I've no real opinions.

Ritch

LE
Olympic Air is the worse airline I've flown with. Absolutely terrible service, no real safety rules enforced and the stewardess in our section blatantly didn't like anyone.

A lot of people share BA, but I have had some great flights with them. The best way when the 777 I was on was only 15% full, according to a steward. Us in economy got business class meals, real cutlery etc.

Last edited:
Olympic Air is the worse airline I've flown with. Absolutely terrible service, no real safety rules enforced and the stewardess in our section blatantly didn't like anyone.

A lot of people share BA, but I have had some great flights with them. The best way when the 777 I was on was only 15% full, according to a steward. Us in economy got business class meals, real cutlery etc.

Contrary to some opinions there were a lot of very good cabin crew at BA…the problem was due to politics (company, national legislation ) for many years, certainly prior to some quite seismic contract changes about a decade back, it was very difficult to shift the poor performers, something airlines operating in other jurisdictions maybe don’t have to worry about.

Turning up for work at base was almost like opening a box of chocolates…”you never know what you‘re going to get”….Get a good crew with a good CSD/CSM (the lead cabin crew member) and you knew the management side of the trip was going to be a doodle and you were guaranteed lots of :thumleft: from disembarking passengers…

OTOH get a few less than happy campers in the crew and you knew you might be in for a long painful few days at work with a lot of :( from the customers.

Ritch

LE
Contrary to some opinions there were a lot of very good cabin crew at BA…the problem was due to politics (company, national legislation ) for many years, certainly prior to some quite seismic contract changes about a decade back, it was very difficult to shift the poor performers, something airlines operating in other jurisdictions maybe don’t have to worry about.

Turning up for work at base was almost like opening a box of chocolates…”you never know what you‘re going to get”….Get a good crew with a good CSD/CSM (the lead cabin crew member) and you knew the management side of the trip was going to be a doodle and you were guaranteed lots of :thumleft: from disembarking passengers…

OTOH get a few less than happy campers in the crew and you knew you might be in for a long painful few days at work with a lot of :( from the customers.

Yep, I've had seven long haul flights with BA now and each time I've had a fantastic crew. The one on the empty 777 stood out for me as one attendant came and sat down on my section of three chairs I had to myself and had a chat whilst she had a break.

6 odd years ago. There are pockets of fuckwittery everywhere, Vail springs to mind with its transient population of luvvies pontificating over global warming etc whilst sat in “chalets” with 3 square mile floor plans, heated by open fires and troughing down on avocado on toast. In Colorado. In December. All locally grown.

Then back to LAX to peruse a script on the Gulfstream V.

These are the same people that demand smoking areas are closed on health grounds so the likes of thee and me don’t get a relaxant after the TSA Circus whilst they snort coke off a hooker’s buttocks.

The collective term is “C#nts”.

To be fair, MIA, an airport that has very little going for it does have one redeeming feature. Smoking areas in bars. To smoke there you have to buy a drink which on the scale of hardships is about a -17. Bonus is the fuckerati and their shrieking kids and shouted phone conversations wouldn’t be seen dead in the place so it’s a haven for the health conscious committed smoker / drinker. I’m sure the pleasure of a couple of tabs and a few wets is less harmful than the 4th circle of hell elsewhere in the terminal.
I take it you have had a Friday wine or two.

Yep, I've had seven long haul flights with BA now and each time I've had a fantastic crew. The one on the empty 777 stood out for me as one attendant came and sat down on my section of three chairs I had to myself and had a chat whilst she had a break.
A colleague of mine in HQ ARRC got bumped up to business for a flight back to Heathrow on the BA shuttle thingy. The stewardess (Or whatever they are called now) invited him to a party and, how shall I put this, sapped his life essence for a good number of hours...apparently. According to him, her first two questions were, "Are you married?" and "What do you do for a living?"

Ritch

LE
6 odd years ago. There are pockets of fuckwittery everywhere, Vail springs to mind with its transient population of luvvies pontificating over global warming etc whilst sat in “chalets” with 3 square mile floor plans, heated by open fires and troughing down on avocado on toast. In Colorado. In December. All locally grown.

Then back to LAX to peruse a script on the Gulfstream V.

These are the same people that demand smoking areas are closed on health grounds so the likes of thee and me don’t get a relaxant after the TSA Circus whilst they snort coke off a hooker’s buttocks.

The collective term is “C#nts”.

To be fair, MIA, an airport that has very little going for it does have one redeeming feature. Smoking areas in bars. To smoke there you have to buy a drink which on the scale of hardships is about a -17. Bonus is the fuckerati and their shrieking kids and shouted phone conversations wouldn’t be seen dead in the place so it’s a haven for the health conscious committed smoker / drinker. I’m sure the pleasure of a couple of tabs and a few wets is less harmful than the 4th circle of hell elsewhere in the terminal.
Mate, I think you need a hooker - you sound tense as hell.

This.

I’ve had some very demanding trips that have been made so much easier by having a cracking crew, all mucking in to deal with what they can whilst I do the big ticket stuff. Conversely there have been days that should have been a walk in the park but just became ordeals because one gobby crew member, usually a BASSA rep gets them all wound up. I’m not anti union, I was a BALPA rep on the CC for 10 years and on the NEC for 4 but Christ, can BASSA push my buttons on occasion.

One springs to mind. A delayed flight, walk into the crew room to be confronted by the No.1 (basically the CSD) who announces “we are not going into discretion”. I told her I was going for a smoke and would be back in 5 minutes and advised her to research why discretion is more formally known as Commander‘s Discretion*. Most of the crew saw her for what she was, all mouth and no trousers, so that went off OK but the whole trip she was briefing against me. I could write a book on her alone.

A good trip is one where the head cabin crew and the Capt just get it done. Sooner we stop cocking about, sooner everyone gets to the bar. It’s not difficult.

* Discretion is the process by which a Commander can assess the fatigue level in a crew and exercise judgement to extend maximum duty hours. It’s not a debate, it’s a decision. I usually put all this shite to bed by saying “OK, we’ll not go into discretion but we will go as far round the track as we can, remaining in hours. That means minimum rest in the airport hotel in Frankfurt on the way back or an extra hour duty and sleep in your own bed. Let me know which you’d prefer”. The gobshites would always try and peddle the line that we’d not even set off and we’d all just go home. Yeah, right.

Maybe you can answer the potentially urban myth @Nicky swango ? Legend has it that BASSA in BA suggested the chain of command on the jet should go Capt - CSD - FO? This was bitched when it was agreed that’d be OK once the CSDs demonstrated proficiency in landing the jet? I can’t tell you how much I want this to be true!

Also, the BA 777s were modified to include an “office” for CSDs at BASSA’s insistence?

This.

I’ve had some very demanding trips that have been made so much easier by having a cracking crew, all mucking in to deal with what they can whilst I do the big ticket stuff. Conversely there have been days that should have been a walk in the park but just became ordeals because one gobby crew member, usually a BASSA rep gets them all wound up. I’m not anti union, I was a BALPA rep on the CC for 10 years and on the NEC for 4 but Christ, can BASSA push my buttons on occasion.

One springs to mind. A delayed flight, walk into the crew room to be confronted by the No.1 (basically the CSD) who announces “we are not going into discretion”. I told her I was going for a smoke and would be back in 5 minutes and advised her to research why discretion is more formally known as Commander‘s Discretion*. Most of the crew saw her for what she was, all mouth and no trousers, so that went off OK but the whole trip she was briefing against me. I could write a book on her alone.

A good trip is one where the head cabin crew and the Capt just get it done. Sooner we stop cocking about, sooner everyone gets to the bar. It’s not difficult.

* Discretion is the process by which a Commander can assess the fatigue level in a crew and exercise judgement to extend maximum duty hours. It’s not a debate, it’s a decision. I usually put all this shite to bed by saying “OK, we’ll not go into discretion but we will go as far round the track as we can, remaining in hours. That means minimum rest in the airport hotel in Frankfurt on the way back or an extra hour duty and sleep in your own bed. Let me know which you’d prefer”. The gobshites would always try and peddle the line that we’d not even set off and we’d all just go home. Yeah, right.

Maybe you can answer the potentially urban myth @Nicky swango ? Legend has it that BASSA in BA suggested the chain of command on the jet should go Capt - CSD - FO? This was bitched when it was agreed that’d be OK once the CSDs demonstrated proficiency in landing the jet? I can’t tell you how much I want this to be true!

Also, the BA 777s were modified to include an “office” for CSDs at BASSA’s insistence?

Re”Also, the BA 777s were modified to include an “office” for CSDs at BASSA’s insistence?”

Not sure if what they had on the T7 was a mod or Boeing standard TBH…

What ever the reason their workspace was a small shelf just underneath the IFE control panels forward of door 1 left, just aft of the Flight Deck door…not much to write home about..

Now OTOH the 744 was a whole different story - there they did have a dedicated cubby hole under the stairs. That also had IFE controls/displays/a monitor and in the days when the Cabin Service Director didn’t have a designated working position in a cabin it wasn’t unknown for the less industrious CSDs to spend quite of bit of time during a sector sat down doing paperwork…;).

FWIW about a decade or a bit more back the company did get wise to what was going on, gave the CSDs a designated working cabin position, which allowed a reduction in the long haul crew complement by one. Resistance to that plan was one of the reasons for one of the BASSA led strikes but the company won out in the end.

Garuda Indonesia, most ME carriers, all African carriers except SAA* and for balance, American Airlines 757/767**

* @Lardbeast is better qualified to comment here...

Not so much any more. SAA down the gurgler and govt has tried to start a new airline (after stiffing certain employees of their pensions) using the name and certain crew meeting requirements of party support and albedo, many of them involved in past examining and licencing underhandedness.

Wouldn't fly with them if you paid me.

You've just described Ethiopian.

Boxer96

Old-Salt
I worked in Tel Aviv for a few months and had the misfortune to fly with El Al. I was sat in Cattle Class, middle row on a packed 747 surrounded by a mob of Orthodox men bobbing and weaving for 4 f§$king hours - torture!