Flightradar 24 and Marine spotting odds and sods.

Oh no qualms, if the pilot is happy enough to fly it I am happy enough to be flown in it. I just remember that the worst time for equipment faults was straight after leave when kit had been off for a period of time. Must be quite a planning/management evolution getting aircraft ready to start operations again, similar to you keeping your certification/hours in date.
After my little event - see my avatar - the whole fleet were grounded. However the calendar based maintenance was continued and each helo was started up and run for a while every week or so. I wasn’t caring though, I had retired by then!

BlipDriver

War Hero
Some military activity going on today, pairs of Hawks playing in North Wales MTA, & a Typhoon or two on the tanker.
1634130625170.png

BlipDriver

War Hero
Alitalia is dead - long live Alitalia ITA Airlines. After many years in the doldrums, including a nationalisation, Alitalia has been killed off after 74 years. The new state owned flag carrier of Italy is ITA Airlines (who have bought the Alitalia name & flight codes, operations & assets - but presumably none of the debts).:rolleyes:

Alitalia is dead - long live Alitalia ITA Airlines. After many years in the doldrums, including a nationalisation, Alitalia has been killed off after 74 years. The new state owned flag carrier of Italy is ITA Airlines (who have bought the Alitalia name & flight codes, operations & assets - but presumably none of the debts
Can't be seen to be giving state support to the National Carrier, so just kinda hide it.

Never seen one round here before.

1634381861625.png

Ritch

LE
A new P8 Poseidon is on its way to Lossiemouth. This one is called William Barker VC.

Screenshot_20211019-122910_Flightradar24.jpg

And the gigantic Antonov 225 will overfly the UK in the next hour or so as it's on the way to a refuelling stop at Shannon.

Screenshot_20211019-123159_Flightradar24.jpg

A new P8 Poseidon is on its way to Lossiemouth. This one is called William Barker VC.

View attachment 610756

And the gigantic Antonov 225 will overfly the UK in the next hour or so as it's on the way to a refuelling stop at Shannon.

View attachment 610757
I looked on ADSBEX and saw it would be directly overflying AND was currently over the Thames Estuary.
Dashed outside with my trusty Panasonic camera* and waited about 3 minutes.
There it was!
Located it in the view finder screen, snapped off a few. Zoomed to 12x to get possibly out of focus, nearly full screen photos; snapped off a load.

Went indoors and found I'd got bugger-all!!! Think I may have not held the button long enough after setting the distance/focus; I don't use it much.

*Panasonic HX DC-1, I now know why it was on 1/2 price offer a few years back.

Ritch

LE
I looked on ADSBEX and saw it would be directly overflying AND was currently over the Thames Estuary.
Dashed outside with my trusty Panasonic camera* and waited about 3 minutes.
There it was!
Located it in the view finder screen, snapped off a few. Zoomed to 12x to get possibly out of focus, nearly full screen photos; snapped off a load.

Went indoors and found I'd got bugger-all!!! Think I may have not held the button long enough after setting the distance/focus; I don't use it much.

*Panasonic HX DC-1, I now know why it was on 1/2 price offer a few years back.

Ahh that's gutting! Especially since it's not a regular visitor to our skies!

BlipDriver

War Hero

BlipDriver

War Hero
That was unexpected, the Red Arrows just did Portsmouth Harbour. I was providing a heat pad for the cat so checked adsb first - nothing - so put her off & went outside as 9 shouty red things went over!
Unfortunately the cloud is so low, & I cocked up the filming so badly, I have nothing to show :(

Ritch

LE
That was unexpected, the Red Arrows just did Portsmouth Harbour. I was providing a heat pad for the cat so checked adsb first - nothing - so put her off & went outside as 9 shouty red things went over!
Unfortunately the cloud is so low, & I cocked up the filming so badly, I have nothing to show :(
Gutted for you.

Saw them on FR24 the other day bombing around the Lincolnshire Wolds. They're not appearing on the app tonight, thats for sure.

We've known about it in Pompie for a few days. Flypast/display for a government event taking place on board Prince of Wales (reserve slot was tomorrow afternoon), nice display but only 8 aircraft (guessing one went U/S on the ground at Bournemouth}. I took my grandson to watch from the top end of the harbour, great view, especially when one does the twirly bit around the others :)

Edited to add, this was why:

Last edited:

BlipDriver

War Hero
We've known about it in Pompie for a few days. Flypast/display for a government event taking place on board Prince of Wales (reserve slot was tomorrow afternoon), nice display but only 8 aircraft (guessing one went U/S on the ground at Bournemouth}. I took my grandson to watch from the top end of the harbour, great view, especially when one does the twirly bit around the others :)

Edited to add, this was why:
I was convinced that I saw nine, so convinced that I even checked videos & pictures - now not only can I not work my phone, but I can't even count! :rolleyes:

Did wonder how Trafalgar Day will be celebrated by the people who just 'sank' a French submarine fleet...:D

I was convinced that I saw nine, so convinced that I even checked videos & pictures - now not only can I not work my phone, but I can't even count! :rolleyes:

Did wonder how Trafalgar Day will be celebrated by the people who just 'sank' a French submarine fleet...:D
FB_IMG_1634795371417.jpg
FB_IMG_1634795454294.jpg
FB_IMG_1634795422140.jpg
FB_IMG_1634795432457.jpg

Last edited:

Ritch

LE
C130 over Poole Bay. There's a NOTAM up telling of "dropping of articles and PJE".

Something to do with the SBS perhaps?

Screenshot_20211021-123642_Flightradar24.jpg