Flightradar 24 and Marine spotting odds and sods.

endure

GCM
Battle of Britain Memorial Flight tootling round over East Anglia at the moment

bbmf.JPG

Ritch

LE
Aye, apparently the runway is still out of action too which is causing headaches as it's a single runway airfield.
There's also a NOTAM issued (not clear if it's still active) - airspace is closed for a six mile radius.

I’m no pilot, but I always thought runways were considerably longer than they are wide, so landing it across the runway seems a bit daft to me.
(some eejit will undoubtedly think I was being serious )
Pffft.

Where’s your sense of adventure?

I know a bloke who landed a KitFox at Manston in the width of the runway. Things you need to know about this:

1. The guy is a cock. He was quite put out when lots of people told him so rather than telling him how clever he was.
2. Manston used to be a Master Diversion Airfield for the RAF so it is unusually wide (80m instead of the usual 45m IIRC).
3. The KitFox has an approach speed of something like 8 miles a week.
4. There was a stiff crosswind which helped. A lot.
5. The CAA had words.
6. He’s in my dead pool as learning isn’t his strong suit.

Last edited:
2. Manston used to be a Master Diversion Airfield for the RAF so it is unusually wide (80m instead of the usual 45m IIRC).
Wider than usual because they had the capability to lay a foam “runway” down one side for aircraft doing a hazardous landing. Dit: The MOD Firefighting school was also in Manston and I once broke down there in a Lynx - I know, who’d have thunk it. Anyway in the station disco that night most of the blokes were wearing sweatshirts with the logo “Don’t foam us, we’ll foam you”

Last edited:
Seems a bit mysterious and it's certainly not on the ground doing that speed in that location. It seemed to appear somewhere in Scotland but even the track is a bit vague.
1632063635726.png

1632063379629.png

Attachments

• 1632062948634.png
    1632062948634.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 24

Ritch

LE
Might be a bit of fast air that's been whizzing round the Highlands.

Wider than usual because they had the capability to lay a foam “runway” down one side for aircraft doing a hazardous landing. Dit: The MOD Firefighting school was also in Manston and I once broke down there in a Lynx - I know, who’d have thunk it. Anyway in the station disco that night most of the blokes were wearing sweatshirts with the logo “Don’t foam us, we’ll foam you”
I call walt!!

A Lynx breaking down; never heard of such a thing.

I call walt!!

A Lynx breaking down; never heard of such a thing.
Quite funny in a way. Stopped for fuel en route to Fleetlands and when I went to start #1 engine it ran up and would have blown up had I not caught it. I snagged it and we were picked up by a cab from home the next day. Lynx to Fleetlands by road.

About three weeks later I was called into the OC’s office. He asked me again what had happened and I told him. He asked if I was sure that it was #1 engine and I said yes. He said well Fleetlands changed it and when they started up #2 blew up!

Luckily my crewman Ginge backed me up. Lcpl Ginge later commissioned and became a big cheese in the Apache world. He retired as a Major or maybe a LtCol.

Quite funny in a way. Stopped for fuel en route to Fleetlands and when I went to start #1 engine it ran up and would have blown up had I not caught it. I snagged it and we were picked up by a cab from home the next day. Lynx to Fleetlands by road.

About three weeks later I was called into the OC’s office. He asked me again what had happened and I told him. He asked if I was sure that it was #1 engine and I said yes. He said well Fleetlands changed it and when they started up #2 blew up!

Luckily my crewman Ginge backed me up. Lcpl Ginge later commissioned and became a big cheese in the Apache world. He retired as a Major or maybe a LtCol.
Ginge hasn't really left, he's just not wearing rank now.

I recently saw him doing something with the old stuff too.

Ritch

LE
Ginge hasn't really left, he's just not wearing rank now.

I recently saw him doing something with the old stuff too.

This can't be the Ginge I know then. The Ginge I know hangs round the local post office with a can of high strength cider in one hand and a carton of dog biscuits in the other (gen!).

Or is it the same one??? :D

BlipDriver

Old-Salt

Sign outside now says Standard Aero, & no gate guards.

This can't be the Ginge I know then. The Ginge I know hangs round the local post office with a can of high strength cider in one hand and a carton of dog biscuits in the other (gen!).

Or is it the same one??? :D
What Ginge gets up to in his spare time is no business (nor interest) of mine!! ;)

Latest Threads