Flightradar 24 and Marine spotting odds and sods.

Aye, I found the wipers eventually.

I think I best stick with the A320 for now as I've found an actual airbus pilot on YouTube doing tutorials for us spastics newbies that don't have a scooby don't have the basics mastered yet.

Anyway, I'll now leave the thread to real life aviation stuff!
What's your view on the new MSFS, @Ritch ? I've heard reports that it's just a console game, but from what you're saying it seems just like a 'proper' flight sim.

Ritch

LE
What's your view on the new MSFS, @Ritch ? I've heard reports that it's just a console game, but from what you're saying it seems just like a 'proper' flight sim.

It certainly isn't a console game. From what I've read, it's got everything the PC version has. Some planes do have switches that are inoperable at the minute so I guess you can't call it a full blown sim but more detailed aircraft are coming to the marketplace by third party companies.

There are still a fair number of bugs floating around but it's still a cracking title and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

It certainly isn't a console game. From what I've read, it's got everything the PC version has. Some planes do have switches that are inoperable at the minute so I guess you can't call it a full blown sim but more detailed aircraft are coming to the marketplace by third party companies.

There are still a fair number of bugs floating around but it's still a cracking title and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.
Thanks. I've never owned a console, and don't intend to, and I don't have a PC at the moment either, but if funds allow in future I may buy one just to use as a flight sim.

Ritch

LE
Thanks. I've never owned a console, and don't intend to, and I don't have a PC at the moment either, but if funds allow in future I may buy one just to use as a flight sim.

I'm strictly a console player - I've never had a gaming PC but what people are saying, you can have an Xbox Series X playing at 30fps at 4k. That's what people with very, very decent PC's are getting when they've spent three times more than the cost of an Xbox.

Ocean Revival - The worst of the storm has passed and is now affecting the channel. However it is still rough.

Sole​

WIND Northwest 4 to 6, occasionally 7 at first.
SEA STATE Moderate or rough, becoming slight or moderate later.
WEATHER Showers, perhaps thundery.
VISIBILITY Good, occasionally poor.

The boat is back on course but appears to be drifting as the crew recover from a rough night and wait for conditions to improve. There may be some mopping up to do.. Hydration with electrolytes will help. Hopefully appetites will return. The current is in their favour. I'm expecting the speed to pick up to 2 or 3 kts later indicating rowing in progress.

1627656410454.png

Ocean Revival - The worst of the storm has passed and is now affecting the channel. However it is still rough.

Sole​

The boat is back on course but appears to be drifting as the crew recover from a rough night and wait for conditions to improve. There may be some mopping up to do.. Hydration with electrolytes will help. Hopefully appetites will return. The current is in their favour. I'm expecting the speed to pick up to 2 or 3 kts later indicating rowing in progress.

View attachment 592713
That must be well scary in such a busy shipping lane especially at night.

Sole​

View attachment 592713
Mahoosive, clanking, balls of stainless steel.

Ocean Revival - Another storm approaching from the West this week. "No Great Shakes".

First a look at the official tracker. NY2L (New York to London) now South of Cork City and West of the Isles of Scilly.
1627866811428.png

Winds are forecast to strengthen on Wednesday through Thursday. Hopefully the boat will be South of Plymouth by then.
1627867560446.png

I've highlighted (circled) what I believe to be the rowing boat in the Marine traffic map below.
1627867996470.png

Now, look at the vessel highlighted below. The speed is very familiar and the size looks right too.
1627868138338.png

Now we look for No Great Shakes on Marine Traffic. This shows in was in New York and sailing somewhere unknown.
1627868329377.png

That boat looks familiar too. Nice photo by Barry.
1627868399379.png

It seems that No Great Shakes was used to row across the Indian Ocean:

In June 2018, four British men plan to row their way into the record books by becoming the fastest four-man crew to row the Indian Ocean, while also conducting a research project that has the potential to redefine Parkinson’s disease and raise £200,000 for their chosen charities.

Home - Row the Indian Ocean
Indian Ocean row

Ocean Revival, expeditions
More ocean rowing boats here: OceanRowingSociety

Here is a short tour of the boat in it's 2018 configuration:

Last edited:
G-OSRB currently over the Pennines. I can't remember the last time I saw a 727 in the air.

Ritch

LE
G-OSRB currently over the Pennines. I can't remember the last time I saw a 727 in the air.

It's based at Doncaster and I often see it fly overhead on its way there. You certainly do hear it before you see it, even more so when it's descending through 10,000ft whilst overhead.

Yeah, it was the engine note that got my attention. Looks like it's on finals for Finningley now.

Good that the commandos have entered UK waters at last. Nice conditions for rowing by the Isles of Scilly. The first sight of land must be welcome indeed. It must be so tempting to berth up, get a proper shower, proper food and a few pints. The threat of a following storm might feel like justification enough but it looks like that is now less of a threat than it was.
1628005881378.png

The strong winds forecast to follow them seem to be reducing in intensity. Nonetheless, it's good that they have evaded the worst of those. It could still get a bit rough though and it's not finished until they row in to London.
1628005968447.png

1628006013958.png
1628006055289.png

1628006117552.png
1628006171339.png

Here they are on Marine Traffic:
1628007203604.png

Last edited:
RAF Shawbury is having a busy evening
Screenshot_20210803-200121_Flightradar24.jpg

Nine seats in the Lynx but to be honest I can’t remember how many we lifted. We just pitched up and lifted on a radio call.

AMF(L) exercise up in Otterburn a long time ago. I was there with my trusty polyester-wearing friends and their rather large helicopters. We'd gone up a day or two early with the Wokkas, and the Pumas came from 230 in Germany, every one filled with crates of Wobbly.

Anyhoo, TWA were part of the proceedings, and they turned up en masse. It was like something out of Apocalypse Now; I'm guessing a couple of squadrons of Lynx and Chicken Legs. There was a small ridge behind the camp, and they must have used it as a cover screen while they assembled. On cue, a couple dozen helicopters came surging over the ridge with their lights on, which are quite bright with loads of them. I suppose it must have been a dick-size thing with the Crabs, German Hueys and AAC. AAC won the arrival trophy :)

Last edited:

Latest Threads