Flightradar 24 and Marine spotting odds and sods.

BlipDriver

Old-Salt
Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 was released on the Xbox on Tuesday. I decided to prove that @Toastie isn't some sort of Sky God and selected the 787-10 from Manchester to Schipol.

1. First of all, I tried flicking a few switches and promptly decided I didn't have a clue what to do, so let the AI Co-pilot take charge for start up.

2. I had to do all the ATC stuff, so I let the AI Co-pilot take charge for that.

3. I'm crap at doing trim so decided to let the AI Co-pilot take charge of that.

4. I managed to taxi from the gate to the runway before realising I didn't have any fuel onboard to do more than a 3 minute flight. So I reset to the gate and fuelled her up.

5. I had a little cry into my pillow.

6. I retaxied, took off and raised the landing gear and retracted flaps and tried to select autopilot with the switch on the dash. That didn't work.

7. Had a little fly around whilst trying to figure out the autopilot aaaaand promptly smacked it into the ground near Crewe.

I've decided Toastie might be a Sky God.
Are you sure that @Toastie doesn't also use the AI co-pilot? As for CFIT near Crewe:
1627584012259.png

Hmmm... Are you him??

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 was released on the Xbox on Tuesday. I decided to prove that @Toastie isn't some sort of Sky God and selected the 787-10 from Manchester to Schipol.

1. First of all, I tried flicking a few switches and promptly decided I didn't have a clue what to do, so let the AI Co-pilot take charge for start up.

2. I had to do all the ATC stuff, so I let the AI Co-pilot take charge for that.

3. I'm crap at doing trim so decided to let the AI Co-pilot take charge of that.

4. I managed to taxi from the gate to the runway before realising I didn't have any fuel onboard to do more than a 3 minute flight. So I reset to the gate and fuelled her up.

6. I retaxied, took off and raised the landing gear and retracted flaps and tried to select autopilot with the switch on the dash. That didn't work.

7. Had a little fly around whilst trying to figure out the autopilot aaaaand promptly smacked it into the ground near Crewe.

Well at least it was only Crewe. If you’d made it to Schiphol, you might have spanked it into a block of flats :)

It might be fate for me attempting to fly a machine so complex that only Toastie can fly them.
He'd be a busy man if he was the only person that could fly them!!

Well what I should have said:

1. Toastie
2. Skilled mortals
3. Me
4. The great unwashed.
Shhhhh

You'll give him a big(ger) head :D

Given the storm coming in from the west I hope they don’t have any problems and with a bit of luck it might speed up their progress, best of luck to them.
The official tracker shows them broadside to the wind on the tail of that storm and pointing towards Cork for the moment, to avoid being drawn in to the strongest winds. However, it looks like they were spun around a bit so they could be facing any direction now. The waves are in the same direction as the winds. It won't be comfortable. I expect they are hunkered down for now and riding it out until the storm moves away. Streaming a sea anchor behind them while facing the wind and waves would seem logical to me
1627590175311.png
1627591212150.png

1627590457429.png

Met Office shipping forecast:
1627590324994.png

1627591968395.png

1627592007007.png

Last edited:

You are me and I claim my £5

I'm hoping if I carry on inflating his ego, he'll bung me a tenner.
On the basis I’m not exactly current I reckon a) I’d bung in a performance not dissimilar to yours and b) I’m skint (no duty pay, furlough salary, 1x wife, 2x daughters, 2x dogs, 4x cats, 1x drink habit).

Lend us a tenner.

Ritch

LE
On the basis I’m not exactly current I reckon a) I’d bung in a performance not dissimilar to yours and b) I’m skint (no duty pay, furlough salary, 1x wife, 2x daughters, 2x dogs, 4x cats, 1x drink habit).

Lend us a tenner.

It's a good job I don't have your phone number, I'd be ringing every ten minutes.

"What's VNav?"

"Can you loop the loop a 787?"

"Where's the wipers?"

Etc.

War Hero
Ritch,

Next time just tie a bandana round your head and pretend to be a kamikaze - Crewe is a reasonable target as you will cause little damage.
1627598495381.png

Whatever you do, do not go online wearing a shemagh and practice aiming for any target of value. There will be black helicopters outside and you will be in a fetching orange jumpsuit before you can say Alans Snack Bar

Ritch

LE
Ritch,

Next time just tie a bandana round your head and pretend to be a kamikaze - Crewe is a reasonable target as you will cause little damage.
View attachment 592608
Whatever you do, do not go online wearing a shemagh and practice aiming for any target of value. There will be black helicopters outside and you will be in a fetching orange jumpsuit before you can say Alans Snack Bar

I think crashing into Crewe would actually improve the area!

It's a good job I don't have your phone number, I'd be ringing every ten minutes.

"What's VNav?"

"Where's the wipers?"

Etc.
An autopilot function in conjunction with the Flight Management Computer. Does the up and down bit, V as in Vertical.

Yes. Once. Actually, it genuinely probably has a butch enough wing to do it.

Forward edge of overhead panel on each side, pretty much central on each panel.

Etc.

BlipDriver

Old-Salt

"What's VNav?"

"Where's the wipers?"

Etc.
An autopilot function in conjunction with the Flight Management Computer. Does the up and down bit, V as in Vertical.

Etc.
What was the cabin announcement?

What was the cabin announcement?
Sit down, shut up, it’s raining, we’ll be there soon.

I‘m pretty certain it’s not been done even once. I was answering the question ”can it be done?” rather than “has it been done?”.

I reckon it’s doable but career limiting and I’m not sure anyone would sign for the airframe again. That said, I know of at least two airframes that have essentially suffered a broken back in hard landings that are still flying.

And no, it wasn’t me.

I was actually present when this happened. It was the launch of the EC175 IIRC. The aircraft was flown by a TP on the day of his retirement and that’s the only reason he wasn’t sacked.

The aircraft was due for delivery to a customer shortly after but they refused to accept it.

Ritch

LE

Etc.

Aye, I found the wipers eventually.

I think I best stick with the A320 for now as I've found an actual airbus pilot on YouTube doing tutorials for us spastics newbies that don't have a scooby don't have the basics mastered yet.

Anyway, I'll now leave the thread to real life aviation stuff!