Flightradar 24 and Marine spotting odds and sods.

Didn't large fleets self insure, via a bond with the Home Office or Dept. of Transport?
Possibly miss remembered.

They could post a bond but that's just a deposit in case they go bankrupt. They'd still need to cover any third-party claims in full from their own funds, which is a huge risk.

If your fleet is sufficiently large and you have pricing power with repair organisations then you could self-insure for your own write-offs or damage, but there's no effective mitigation for third-party risk other than through an insurer or similar risk pool.

Last edited:

Ritch

LE
Three water bombers currently trying to fight the wildfires in California.

Screenshot_20210621-000515_Flightradar24.jpg

Yokel

LE
I keep seeing Merlins taking off from Culdrose and then disappearing. Can military aircraft turn the ADSB transmitter off in the same way that warships often turn AIS off?

I am still waiting to see a couple of Merlin HM2s turning up aboard HMS Prince of Wales.

Last edited:

Ritch

LE
I keep seeing Merlins taking off and then disappearing. Can military aircraft turn the ADSB transmitter off in the same way that warships often turn AIS off?

I am still waiting to see a couple of Merlin HM2s turning up aboard HMS Prince of Wales.
I'm no expert but yes, I believe they can.

On another note, these two French tankers have had a long day, dragging French Rafale's and an A400 from the mainland, over to California and then on to Tahiti.

Screenshot_20210621-233508_Flightradar24.jpg

I keep seeing Merlins taking off from Culdrose and then disappearing. Can military aircraft turn the ADSB transmitter off in the same way that warships often turn AIS off?

Yes, fairly pointless having stealthy aircraft if its squitting it's position and data :) Think military landrovers where you turn the dial one way to put lights on and the other way to switch them all off (including indicators and horn) or just the convoy light at the trailer hook :)

Not seen this one before. Near Preston. Found a photo of the same aircraft too.
View attachment 583266View attachment 583267
Yikes!

I have precisely zero knowledge viz fast jets but a critical wing means fast approach speeds and only two wheels and small ones at that means not a lot of stopping power compounded by (an assumed) non existence of Spoilers that improve braking performance and reverse thrust ditto.

All going into Blackpool which isn’t the longest runway in the world.

Edit: G-She Hoo Must Be (obeyed)?

Is there a way to get historical data out of the various FR24-like systems?
I used to use Planefinder on desktop for retrospective spotting. Its database went back quite a while ISTR without subscription. I got some pretty epic spots using my method and Planefinder's database.

Latest Threads