Flightradar 24 and Marine spotting odds and sods.

Is there a way to get historical data out of the various FR24-like systems? Wife and I were playing golf yesterday evening, and what do you know, a USMC 4-ship flew right over the course. Two Hueys and two Vipers, about 500ft. No USMC camps anywhere near us, so can only assume they were on some sort of navex.

Their track indicated they were inbound to KTYS, which isn’t too far away and has an ANG unit there. Quite often see visiting aircraft there, so that wouldn’t be too unusual, but I’m curious where they came from. There’s a helicopter tour place next to the course, and they fly shitty little Robinsons, and one JetRanger. The 16 blades of the USMC and 8 turbines sounded a lot better :)
Paid subscription perhaps?

Paid subscription perhaps?

Well, whaddayaknow, FR24 goes back 7 days without subscription. Yay. But the Marine aircraft didn’t show up. So my guess of being on a navex to KTYS was probably wrong, as it’s a civvy airfield too, so I’d expect they’d need to be squawking. Or perhaps FR24 just doesn’t show military traffic.

Thinking about it, we have a one-horse airfield here, KGKT, and the helos were within 4 miles of it. No tower there, so I’d think advertising your presence wouldn’t be a bad thing!

Well, whaddayaknow, FR24 goes back 7 days without subscription. Yay. But the Marine aircraft didn’t show up. So my guess of being on a navex to KTYS was probably wrong, as it’s a civvy airfield too, so I’d expect they’d need to be squawking. Or perhaps FR24 just doesn’t show military traffic.

Thinking about it, we have a one-horse airfield here, KGKT, and the helos were within 4 miles of it. No tower there, so I’d think advertising your presence wouldn’t be a bad thing!
Try ads-b exchange ADS-B Exchange - tracking thousands of aircraft

If they want to be seen FR24 normally shows them.
The problem I have with rewind/playback on FR24 is getting the time right, my time doesn't seem to fit in with whatever they are using.
For example
1623852970261.png

Ritch

LE
Is there a way to get historical data out of the various FR24-like systems? Wife and I were playing golf yesterday evening, and what do you know, a USMC 4-ship flew right over the course. Two Hueys and two Vipers, about 500ft. No USMC camps anywhere near us, so can only assume they were on some sort of navex.

Their track indicated they were inbound to KTYS, which isn’t too far away and has an ANG unit there. Quite often see visiting aircraft there, so that wouldn’t be too unusual, but I’m curious where they came from. There’s a helicopter tour place next to the course, and they fly shitty little Robinsons, and one JetRanger. The 16 blades of the USMC and 8 turbines sounded a lot better :)

I know on FR24 you can do Playback for a week if you're a Silver member. However those USMC assets will not show up most likely.

I can't speak for the other tracking systems.

BlipDriver

Old-Salt
If they want to be seen FR24 normally shows them.
The problem I have with rewind/playback on FR24 is getting the time right, my time doesn't seem to fit in with whatever they are using.
For example
View attachment 581932
FR24 runs everything in UTC (GMT) as that matches how ATC works - it's an odd feeling turning up for a morning shift after the clocks go forward & seeing the 'old' time on the screen.
If you're referring to the "actual" time, I think that's the actual time of departure/time airborne/time first shown on screen, in local time rather than UTC.
E.G.
Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

I flipping well hope not, having been on one of those under its alternate name of “Sarajevo Approach”. The pilot warned us before we left Brüggen that we’d be making a steep approach into Sarajevo, but it was still a bit of a WTF moment.

Air Force One is just a callsign, it could be a C-130 if POTUS were aboard. Don’t think they do much of that though :)
What looks like Air Force 1 is currently heading across the Irish Sea (from Geneva) - callsign SAM46.

What looks like Air Force 1 is currently heading across the Irish Sea (from Geneva) - callsign SAM46.

That looks like a C32A - USAF VIP version of a 757. What many people call “Airforce One” is a VC-25A - a USAF VIP version of the 747-200 with appropriate mods.

AF1 is the callsign. There are two VC-25As, so they can’t both be AF1. If the President is aboard, it is AF1, if not, SAM28000 or SAM29000 depending on which one it is. AF1 could in theory be any aircraft in the USAF, if POTUS is aboard.

FR24 runs everything in UTC (GMT) as that matches how ATC works - it's an odd feeling turning up for a morning shift after the clocks go forward & seeing the 'old' time on the screen.
If you're referring to the "actual" time, I think that's the actual time of departure/time airborne/time first shown on screen, in local time rather than UTC.
E.G.
View attachment 581971
View attachment 581972
GMT, BST, UTC, plus or minus an hour, it fries my brain.

AF1 is the callsign. There are two VC-25As, so they can’t both be AF1. If the President is aboard, it is AF1, if not, SAM28000 or SAM29000 depending on which one it is. AF1 could in theory be any aircraft in the USAF, if POTUS is aboard.

Can Marine One be fixed wing?