Flightradar 24 and Marine spotting odds and sods.

Wandered

Swinger
bit of a stupid question but is there any difference in the 787-9 from the 787-8 apart from length? Does it differently?
20 feet longer, engines 15% more powerful (although the aircraft is 9% heavier), lots more flap settings (for take off), a wacky laminar flow device to reduce drag on the tailplane and a few more minor things.

Ritch

LE
The latest AirTanker flight climbing to the Falklands via Dakar.

Screenshot_20210331-012215_Flightradar24.jpg

Great big clanking balls of steel needed for that one.

Quite common. They're useful workhorses and tend to move around a bit to where the work is. Borek has an annual migration of ships from Northern Canada to the Antarctic for work down there during the summer and one was sent down in mid winter a few years ago to pick up a couple of crook scientists at the South Pole (the only beast rugged enough and simple enough to do the job in those conditions).

There were two ferried from the sandpit to Calgary recently and one is now back in Burkina Faso IINM.

There was (? is) a sizeable fleet of Twotter floatplanes based out there that do the connecting transfers from the main airport island out to the outlying hotel islands.

IIRC the crews live on Male island which is about 300 yards from the airport island and is the capital “city”. They’d come over to the airport island that has a concrete block house masquerading as a hotel because they could get a drink there, Male being dry. The evening would generally proceed thus: drink, pester girls on visiting crews for sex, fight. The order is interchangeable. There were some decent blokes but most (my memory) were bums who’d filtered down through other areas of aviation and ended up (literally) by means of various sundry acts of drunken fuckwittery and multiple divorces, washed up in Male.

On paper it should be an idyllic existence, flying float planes around a beautiful series of islands. The reality is very different I believe and all the evidence I saw backs that up.

Couple of colleagues used to work there and bailed. What you say is spot on. Crap place to live, accom very basic, and work conditions are not that great. Can't imagine dealing with tourists being much fun either.

ETA: From what they told me, the locals in time off would give western women a bit of stick, the attitude being the normal one towards western women in certain middle eastern and African societies. I'm sure there were expats doing the same, people being who they are.

Last edited:

For once it won't be the biggest object on the islands, since there's currently a Lufthansa A359 at Mount Pleasant. Arrived yesterday to bring home German scientists from a field mission and rotate the crew of a research ship:

https://fr24.com/data/aircraft/d-aixq

Return flight due 02 April.

R0B

War Hero

I remember stopping off at Dakar for an hour on the way back from The Falklands in January 1985 in a VC-10. We weren't allowed into the airport and had to stand outside in the heat. When we got in again someone walked up and down spraying insecticide while we were all seated.

C-130 Stanley to Ascension then VC-10 to Brize via Dakar.

Saw this article today about a 787-8 flying a 12,000 mile route non stop in 20+ hours.

@Toastie - bit of a stupid question but is there any difference in the 787-9 from the 787-8 apart from length? Does it fly differently?
Nope. Weights and length are all +20 ish. Seats +45. Air con on flight deck noisier. Some minor systems differences but handling identical although it “feels” better. Can’t really describe it.

Edit. In light of @Soluton Architect ’s comments, this is from a pilot‘s perspective. I had no idea the differences under the skin were so widespread.

Edit. In light of @Wandered ’s comments, the laminar flow thing sounds fancy but I’m not certain it brought anything to the party? I believe it’s been deactivated on our aircraft?

Last edited:

Ritch

LE
don't they go via Acension any more?
was a 2-3 hr stopover on both times I went with as many Becks slammed down as was physically possible.
with the added bonus that you could smoke on the plane in those days.

They did but Acension's runway needed a massive facelift so for a while it's been out of action. If I remember right, the work has been completed but as of now, the route still lands at Dakar for a fuel top up.

The 787-8 was basically a technology demonstrator that was rammed into production. The McDonnell-Douglas Method! Looks good, get it to market before the rivals do.

The 787-9 is a more traditional engineering-led Boeing product like the 777.

Last edited:
DHC6 C-GAFL made it to the Maldives after a week, nine stages and over 8800nm.

The last hop terrifies me, 1600nm over the Arabian Sea. Don't know how they got up to cruising altitude with balls that size. I had expected another stopover on the NW coast of India.

DHC6_C-GAFL_arrived.jpg

The 787-8 was basically a technology demonstrator that was rammed into production. The McDonnell-Douglas Method! Looks good, get it to market before the rivals do.

The 787-9 is a more traditional engineering-led Boeing product like the 777.
ISTR the -8 is no longer being made? I also understand all 787s are now made in Charleston?

Ritch

LE
I've never seen so much USAF activity in the Pacific. Mostly C17's, there is a C40 (737) and a E6 Mercury tailing the lot before it dropped off the screen.

Screenshot_20210402-015535_Sky Scan World.jpg

That unfinished aircraft was featured on 'Abandoned Engineering' recently; probably where they got the idea for their jolly jape from.

Wandered

Swinger
ISTR the -8 is no longer being made? I also understand all 787s are now made in Charleston?
I believe the -8 is still 'order able'. I think they are working on the commonality. As was mentioned earlier the -8 has about 25% commonality to the other 787s whilst the -9 and -10 have 95% commonality. This makes the -8 expensive to make. Boeing see a future post-Covid need for the -8.
And yes, all 787 manufacturing is now at CHS to save cash.

U2 over Chester at the mo.

U2 over Chester at the mo.
I clocked that but wasn't able to see it.

Did see another object at the same time, too high to be able to see wings moving at a fair rate West to East but not leaving a trail either. At one point it looked like it was following something moving at the same speed a fair distance ahead.

Not saying it was aliens, but it was probably aliens.

Last edited: