Flightradar 24 and Marine spotting odds and sods.

Dunno about now but falcons and hawks used to simulate missiles / fighters with jamming as part of BOST exercises in the south coast exercise areas off Plymouth.
And all around the coast of Scotland when I worked up there. 3 or 4 JMC exercises per year. Each falcon was 'equipped' with two hunters, they ran in on the Navy ships and 'launched' the hunters as missiles. Then climbed and called us for recovery back to base. It used to get very busy, especially if you were the allocator (the first person they call, who identifies them then hands them over to a discrete console for recovery) but I absolutely loved it :)

BlipDriver

Old-Salt
I haven't seen any Hawks with the Falcons but that's not to say they don't. I was under the impression that other Hawks played the role of enemy aircraft.
When playing with the Navy, the Hawks are used as "missiles" "launched" from the Falcon which the Navy then must "destroy". All done with a certain amount of electronics.

ETA, Dammit, beaten by @exbluejob

Last week saw an army BN islander scuttling between the north Antrim coast and Scotland with another one playing about around Belfast lough plus a Posidon bumbling around between NI and the Isle of Mann. All at the same time.

Must have a closer look next time I see an Islander. I just assumed the ones I saw recently were PSNI.

I have seen some photos and videos now and it does indeed seem to have been F-15s.

BlipDriver

Old-Salt
I am not sure the FA20 xould be a great deal of good at dogfighting being a business jet, however they are used to electronic warfare training and representing an attacking aircraft with radar. Possibly something to do with:
Was told by one of the FR guys many years ago that they liked the FA20 as it used the same wing as the Mystere range of aircraft, and so didn't handle like other bizjets. They also said that they'd stopped taking passengers as they always had to hose out the cabin afterwards... :puker:

BARN

Clanker
Do you work for the NLB? Sounds like an awesome job!
Yes I do and yes it is. It's a good engineering job with the chance to stay in some old and famous places like Bell Rock which haven't changed that much since they were built. A lot of history tied up in them as well, one of the guys I work with remembers working on gas lights when there were still keepers living on site.

PJW

Clanker
Another Hawker Hunter out from Leeming today

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-05 at 11.15.30.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-05 at 11.15.30.png
    1 MB · Views: 23

Ritch

LE
Four Wizz Air jets are doing a fly-by of Cardiff to celebrate it becoming a new hub for them.

Screenshot_20210306-150702_Flightradar24.jpg

Ritch

LE
Latest B52 flight RTB to Minot AFB. Currently just south of Palma being refuelled by two KC135's from Mildenhall.

Screenshot_20210307-154608_Flightradar24.jpg

DC-8 just flown over Nottingham heading SE. I didn't realise there were any still operating.

Ritch

LE
DC-8 just flown over Nottingham heading SE. I didn't realise there were any still operating.

According to the net there are four left flying in cargo services and NASA apparently still operates one. Nice rare spot!

According to the net there are four left flying in cargo services and NASA apparently still operates one. Nice rare spot!
The NASA DC-8 seems to be an epic piece of kit.

Ritch

LE
The NASA DC-8 seems to be an epic piece of kit.

That's quite impressive. I like how NASA use some of the old airframes in their research like the DC8, 747SP and Canberra.

Latest Threads