Flightradar 24 and Marine spotting odds and sods.

Ritch

LE
And Ze Germans hmhave unveiled their super secret VTOL Tornado.

Screenshot_20210304-132236_Sky Scan World.jpg

BlipDriver

Old-Salt
Typhoons are up too. With the Cobham Falcons now rebranded as Draken Europe. Never seen six Falcons flying in one area at the same time.
They were off Culdrose a few weeks back, in Portland & Plymouth ranges & the SWMDA. I was wondering if they were in a workup phase, or had new pilots who had to perfect what they do.

Ritch

LE
They were off Culdrose a few weeks back, in Portland & Plymouth ranges & the SWMDA. I was wondering if they were in a workup phase, or had new pilots who had to perfect what they do.

Could be. With the rebranding, they might have a few more crew to train up or they're simply taking part in a huge exercise with the Typhoons. IIRC, they act as enemy aircraft in a range of scenarios from interceptions to dogfights.

Yokel

LE
The lighthouse helicopters (G-GLAA &G-GLAB) can be seen transiting round the UK and Ireland but by the time they are down with the ships or at the lights they are too far out and low to be picked up.
I use Flightradar to see when the helicopter is coming to pick me up in Orkney and can usually see it passing Wick if it's high enough but sometimes it doesn't show at all. Waiting at Lamb Holm International for a lift to Shetland just before Christmas there was no sign of it on FR and it was nearly an hour overdue on a half hour hop from Wick, turns out they had to turn back twice due to different doors opening in flight, not what you want to hear as you are strapping in.View attachment 554133
Storing at Muckle Flugga, a great place to be.

Do you work for the NLB? Sounds like an awesome job!

A bit off topic but here is a Website tour of it:

Muckle Flugga | Virtual tour generated by Panotour

It does show the heli pad, the pilots aren't that keen on the place as the wind/cliff combination makes it quite a tricky landing.

Will have a look later.

Could be. With the rebranding, they might have a few more crew to train up or they're simply taking part in a huge exercise with the Typhoons. IIRC, they act as enemy aircraft in a range of scenarios from interceptions to dogfights.

I am not sure the FA20 xould be a great deal of good at dogfighting being a business jet, however they are used to electronic warfare training and representing an attacking aircraft with radar. Possibly something to do with:

Ritch

LE
I
Do you work for the NLB? Sounds like an awesome job!

Will have a look later.

I am not sure the FA20 xould be a great deal of good at dogfighting being a business jet, however they are used to electronic warfare training and representing an attacking aircraft with radar. Possibly something to do with:

I was going on the dogfighting bit from this link;

My apologies.

Yokel

LE
I would not want to sit it a business jet doing dogfighting type maneuveres, but that is not to say they cannot. I assumed they also worked with Hawks or Hunters to simulate the fast jets and missiles.

Do the Hawker Hunter Aviation aircraft ever appear on the screen?

Last edited:
Dunno about now but falcons and hawks used to simulate missiles / fighters with jamming as part of BOST exercises in the south coast exercise areas off Plymouth.

Ritch

LE
I would not want to sit it a business jet doing dogfighting type maneuverers, but that is not to say they cannot. I assumed they also worked with Hawks or Hunters to simulate the fast jets and missiles.

I haven't seen any Hawks with the Falcons but that's not to say they don't. I was under the impression that other Hawks played the role of enemy aircraft.

Latest Threads